NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

Should I bail

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-23, 05:35 PM
SgtLip
Advanced

Received 211 Likes on 151 Posts

I agree with everything @Brisky27 said in Post #6 above.
I'm learning it is having to relearn a completely new system after owning 5 previous Lexus'. This year's is completely different than any previous system. I'm also realizing the 99% of the time everything works. The one off's of CarPlay not working really doesn't matter to me much at this point. I NEVER used CarPlay in any vehicle I have ever owned. But having said that, the way this connects to the infotainment system is why I wanted to use it. All I am using it for is Spotify and occasionally Apple Maps. Once the paid subscription to Navigation expires in 3 years I think, then I'll use it full time as I'm not going to pay for something that in my opinion I've paid for already.
As for the system not knowing who is driving happens rarely. I haven't learned until recently the things Brisky27 mentioned above. So while I have been one to criticize the system, the vehicle is AWESOME to drive. Performance is great. I say that with my only experience being with the ES model. I went to NX because of a bum knee thanks to the US Navy surgeon. I couldn't get into the ES anymore. My step-son own a GS model with 400,000 miles and runs perfect today. His wife owns a IS250 Sport with no issues. Both their son and daughter own a Lexus. She a NX200 and he a GS. WE ARE a LEXUS Family.

The following users liked this post:
Sounds (06-28-23)
Old 06-28-23, 04:44 PM
Nightlight
Driver

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

You may have the NX by now and it is a great vehicle, but as a NX350 Luxury owner (no hybrid), here's what I will tell you:

- The gas tank is small. 13 Gallons and it's full. If you drive a lot, expect to fill up often. The tank is clearly for the hybrids which was wrong for Lexus to do for the ICE versions.
- The turbo engine is fine. It's not a race vehicle, but has the power for highway driving and passing as needed.
- I'm iffy on the transmission. It's a silly design and requires too much pressure on the brake to shift gears. Maybe it's a safety feature, but be prepared to get used to it.
- I don't have issues with CarPlay connecting, but I sometimes have problems with apps. My Podcasts will sometimes say an episode isn't available through CarPlay, but then it's there when I access directly from my iPhone. Google Maps also has oddities at times through CarPlay that again don't happen on my iPhone.
- The piano black scratches. The piano black scratches.
- I am a huge fan of the panorama view monitor - it should be a standard feature in this vehicle.
- The back hatch holds water when you wash the NX. Be prepared to wipe that often.
- No issues with multiple profiles. I have 1 fob and a smart card that the spouse is link to until the 2nd fob eventually arrives.
- She's quiet and comfortable to drive, but it you like performance vehicles as in V6 and 300+ HP/great torque, you will find it lacking. I haven't gotten used to that yet.
- Reliability and long life is what they say Lexus is known for. If that's your top concern, then the NX fits the bill.
blueless (06-29-23)
Old 06-28-23, 05:07 PM
Sounds
Advanced

Received 173 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Nightlight
You may have the NX by now and it is a great vehicle, but as a NX350 Luxury owner (no hybrid), here's what I will tell you:

- The gas tank is small. 13 Gallons and it's full. If you drive a lot, expect to fill up often. The tank is clearly for the hybrids which was wrong for Lexus to do for the ICE versions.
- The turbo engine is fine. It's not a race vehicle, but has the power for highway driving and passing as needed.
- I'm iffy on the transmission. It's a silly design and requires too much pressure on the brake to shift gears. Maybe it's a safety feature, but be prepared to get used to it.
- I don't have issues with CarPlay connecting, but I sometimes have problems with apps. My Podcasts will sometimes say an episode isn't available through CarPlay, but then it's there when I access directly from my iPhone. Google Maps also has oddities at times through CarPlay that again don't happen on my iPhone.
- The piano black scratches. The piano black scratches.
- I am a huge fan of the panorama view monitor - it should be a standard feature in this vehicle.
- The back hatch holds water when you wash the NX. Be prepared to wipe that often.
- No issues with multiple profiles. I have 1 fob and a smart card that the spouse is link to until the 2nd fob eventually arrives.
- She's quiet and comfortable to drive, but it you like performance vehicles as in V6 and 300+ HP/great torque, you will find it lacking. I haven't gotten used to that yet.
- Reliability and long life is what they say Lexus is known for. If that's your top concern, then the NX fits the bill.
It’s not our primary… It will be fine for our usage. Small tank is weird but should be ok. I’m a big fan of 300hp and up. But 275 should ok. Thanks for your comments.
SgtLip (06-28-23)
Old 06-29-23, 08:33 AM
Droid13
Racer

Received 603 Likes on 423 Posts

I have to say, so far I am very happy with the turbo engine, it has exceeded my expectations 3 months in. Coming out of my 295HP rated RX450h with V6, I find this pressurized four banger does quite well. It is reasonably quiet for puttering around and not overly noisy or whiny under high power. What surprises me the most is how well it pulls at low rpms in higher gears. Turbo engines are stereotypically known for requiring high rpms/high boost to extract power, but I find with modest pressure on gas pedal, it will semi-briskly accelerate in 5th or 6th gear from <2000rpm with just modest boost and no downshifting. It "feels" capable. I also have not noticed any significant turbo lag. In general, for everyday but still brisk "non-Granny" style driving, it does its job without needing (and waiting for) significant boost or frequent downshifting. As a bonus feature, it is very efficient. While I'm sure not as good as the NX350h, I get significantly better fuel economy on the highway compared with my RX hybrid and it is not terribly far behind what my RX hybrid achieved around town. The only downside is higher cost of the premium fuel (now, I will say my RXh indicated premium too, but it ran just fine on regular, but I won't do that with a turbo engine).

The only unanswered question is long term reliability. Although heavily based on the so far proving to be reliable A25A style engine used in a ton of ToyLex cars, it is new for 2022. Here's a nice technical page detailing this engine if anyone likes details: Toyota engines - T24A-FTS (toyota-club.net)
Old 06-29-23, 07:59 PM
Sounds
Advanced

Taking delivery on Monday. Sales agent has been working hard to accommodate. And I’m not someone that lets smoke get blown up ……
Will follow up. Hopefully I’m a regular here soon. I look forward to all the help and support I can get.

Last edited by Sounds; 06-30-23 at 03:22 AM.
Old 07-01-23, 01:07 PM
Skedadle
Rookie

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

We have no car play or pairing issues when only one of us is in either car. The car occasionally gets confused if both of us are in it and we both have keys and phones paired with the car. Usually plugging my phone into the SO's vehicle puts my maps up on car play instead of hers which is the primary for the car.

Car Play is amazing actually we really like it. Apple Maps works with the HUD. Google Maps does not work with the HUD.

We don't have the Nav subscription and I wish we could disable that screen instead of it offering Lexus nav every time we turn the car on :-(
Sounds (07-01-23)
Old 07-01-23, 05:03 PM
Mrblazecat
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Sounds
Taking delivery on Monday. Sales agent has been working hard to accommodate. And I’m not someone that lets smoke get blown up ……
Will follow up. Hopefully I’m a regular here soon. I look forward to all the help and support I can get.
You are lucky! I'm taking delivery myself on the 15th so I guess we'll be in the same boat together
Old 07-01-23, 05:38 PM
Sounds
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mrblazecat
You are lucky! I'm taking delivery myself on the 15th so I guess we'll be in the same boat together
Did you mean "Be in an NX together". Enjoy yours in the best of health. Happy motoring.
SgtLip (07-01-23)
Old 07-02-23, 01:52 PM
andys1548
Driver

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Wireless car play.... Does CarPlay work if the phone is connected with a cable? Or is it a dedicated wireless system?
I’ve never been a fan of wireless CarPlay. I only use CarPlay exclusively wired. On top of that Bluetooth drains my battery. Yes there’s a wireless charger but it’s next to useless. Wired connection is almost guaranteed to work
The following 2 users liked this post by andys1548:
Sounds (07-02-23), Xanadu350 (07-02-23)
Old 07-03-23, 04:41 AM
Sounds
Advanced

It’s Showtime. If all goes well we’ll be behind the wheel after 12. We came to terms with making the purchase and away we go.
Hello Emi/Red lux.
Old 07-03-23, 06:20 AM
GreyGooseNX
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It’s Showtime. If all goes well we’ll be behind the wheel after 12. We came to terms with making the purchase and away we go.
Hello Emi/Red lux.
Good luck and congrats. Make sure to post pics when you get it.
Sounds (07-03-23)
Old 07-03-23, 01:42 PM
Sounds
Advanced

Originally Posted by IneedNX
Good luck and congrats. Make sure to post pics when you get it.
We just got home. Pictures to follow. Was not sure about the red but must say I am now....we bought sight unseen.... It is classy. Very sharp.

Last edited by Sounds; 07-04-23 at 03:58 PM.
SgtLip (07-03-23)
Old 07-03-23, 01:59 PM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 109 Posts

So you didn’t bail lol
Looking forward to hearing your review of this vehicle and the infotainment which I know you were concerned about.
Old 07-03-23, 02:03 PM
Sounds
Advanced

Originally Posted by Xanadu350
So you didn’t bail lol
Looking forward to hearing your review of this vehicle and the infotainment which I know you were concerned about.
I will follow up. Initial impression is we definitely made the right choice, This forum had a lot to do with our decision. For beginners the Infotainment is not as scary as it appeared to be, First thing I had to do was get out of Hawaiian time
Old 07-04-23, 04:58 PM
Sounds
Advanced

Loving the first 59 miles and that new car scent.
My first mensa How To question...... How to adjust balance/fade. It comes up but won't let me make adjustments. 2024 350NX. Thanks. Frank