NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

Paint Quality

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-23, 04:45 PM
Doug007
Intermediate

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Paint Quality

Hello - We've owned our 2022 NX350H for 9 months. I like to keep the Redline paint clean and am careful when washing, employing the two bucket method, blow drying and using soft microfiber towels . I'm now noticing swirls when parked in the sun. I was wondering if anyone else is noticing this or is it more evident on the red. I've also notices orange peel texture in a few areas. It's not destined to be a concourse queen but I am a bit disappointed with what appears to be easily scratched paint. Our gen 1 NX in silver had an outstanding paint job which I would expect from Lexus.
Old 07-07-23, 05:39 PM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,168 Likes on 755 Posts

Have a 2023 NX 350h pearl white and friend has same in atomic silver. Washed both today and paint looks outstanding. Use Adam's graphene ceramic advanced spray. Both have it on for six months and beading today is still incredible. YouTube reviews have it lasting two years with incredible reflection and slickness. Takes 20 minutes to do vehicle and will do every year.
The following 3 users liked this post by Freds430:
Doug007 (07-08-23), MerlinMc (07-22-23), romer (07-07-23)
Old 07-07-23, 07:27 PM
SgtLip
Advanced

Received 212 Likes on 151 Posts

Welcome to the colored car problem. Red, Black and the darker colors will all show the swirls. The only way to fix that is to do a paint correction by buffing the car and then applying a good layer of protection. Like some one else mentioned, I too use Adam's Polishes ceramic on my last 5 vehicles. Started with just the ceramic then went to the graphene ceramic spray. On day 2 of owning my NX I did a complete paint correction and put a coat of the Adam's Polishes Advanced Graphene Ceramic coating (not the spray) on it. Supposed to last up to 9 years but I'll watch it and re-do the whole car as coating starts to wear down.

I'm guessing your microfiber towels or wash mitt has sand in it. If you drop it on the ground you have to toss it in the cleaning bucket. It may be okay to use on the engine compartment but not on the paint. You mentioned you are blow drying. Is it a filtered blower? Do you use the same blower on the lawn? If so, you may be blowing leftover yard debris onto the car and then the microfiber picks it up and moves it around. Do you completely rinse your car totally before washing? If not, you should be. It will knock all of the loose dirt and grime off prior to putting you mitt/microfiber towel on the paint. Use a microfiber as little as possible. I rinse the crap out of my car and then use a foam cannon to soap it up. Then I use 2 microfiber was mitts in a 2 bucket wash alternating mitts. That way if any sand on them it has time to settle t bottom of bucket below the grate. After washing I rinse and blow with an exclusive car drying blower (only used on car). If necessary, I use a thick drying microfiber towel.

Not accusing you of anything, just trying to give you ideas what may be causing the swirls so you can change your habits. Hope it helps.

The following 3 users liked this post by SgtLip:
Doug007 (07-08-23), MerlinMc (07-22-23), romer (07-08-23)
Old 07-08-23, 07:50 AM
Doug007
Intermediate

SgtLip - thanks for the extensive write up and all valid points to consider. Thanks again.
Old 07-08-23, 08:00 AM
MAXIM
10th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

New paint before fully cured for several month is relatively soft and prone to scratches even with microfiber towel. Best you can do is to wax after 2 months and gentle washes. After 6 or more month you can polish (ahem, paint correction) to fix swirls and ceramic coat if you want.
The following users liked this post:
Doug007 (07-11-23)
Old 07-08-23, 08:40 AM
SgtLip
Advanced

Originally Posted by MAXIM
New paint before fully cured for several month is relatively soft and prone to scratches even with microfiber towel. Best you can do is to wax after 2 months and gentle washes. After 6 or more month you can polish (ahem, paint correction) to fix swirls and ceramic coat if you want.
All GOOD points to consider. But please remember your car wasn't painted the day you picked it up from the dealer. In my case, my car was built in January 2023. It boarded a Ro-Ro and headed for Jacksonville Florida. The ship arrived in port on 30 March 2023 and I picked it up on 7 April 2023. So the paint was roughly 3 months old by the time I picked it up.

But if you take your car to the local Maaco Paint Salon or Body Shop for a color change paint job or a repair, you'll most likely pick it up within days of it being painted. So you are 100% correct that you DO NEED to WAIT before you can do anything with it.

Old 07-08-23, 01:44 PM
Randyp1234
Advanced

Received 246 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by SgtLip
All GOOD points to consider. But please remember your car wasn't painted the day you picked it up from the dealer. In my case, my car was built in January 2023. It boarded a Ro-Ro and headed for Jacksonville Florida. The ship arrived in port on 30 March 2023 and I picked it up on 7 April 2023. So the paint was roughly 3 months old by the time I picked it up.

But if you take your car to the local Maaco Paint Salon or Body Shop for a color change paint job or a repair, you'll most likely pick it up within days of it being painted. So you are 100% correct that you DO NEED to WAIT before you can do anything with it.
We just had some extensive body work done on our '22NX and the body shop said this curing thing was no longer necessary as modern two part paints cure immediately.
Old 07-08-23, 05:02 PM
43sbest
Pit Crew

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Randyp1234
We just had some extensive body work done on our '22NX and the body shop said this curing thing was no longer necessary as modern two part paints cure immediately.
Correct, modern clear coat finishes can be washed and/or polished the day they leave the production line. Paint curing is a thing of the past.
Randyp1234 (07-08-23)
Old 07-09-23, 11:25 AM
dklanecky1
Intermediate

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

I see a good method of washing described below, but no mention of use of sealant or wax or ceramic coating or anything to protect the paint?

The orange peel is pretty common on consumer level vehicles today, (anything <~$100K )and is pretty much unavoidable. A great detail shop could paint perfect your existing paint, get rid of all the swirls, and reduce the orange peel, and then and put on a ceramic coating, but your usually talking several (2-4) thousand dollars. and roughly a week's worth of time.

Originally Posted by Doug007
Hello - We've owned our 2022 NX350H for 9 months. I like to keep the Redline paint clean and am careful when washing, employing the two bucket method, blow drying and using soft microfiber towels . I'm now noticing swirls when parked in the sun. I was wondering if anyone else is noticing this or is it more evident on the red. I've also notices orange peel texture in a few areas. It's not destined to be a concourse queen but I am a bit disappointed with what appears to be easily scratched paint. Our gen 1 NX in silver had an outstanding paint job which I would expect from Lexus.
Old 07-11-23, 07:07 PM
Doug007
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dklanecky1
I see a good method of washing described below, but no mention of use of sealant or wax or ceramic coating or anything to protect the paint?

The orange peel is pretty common on consumer level vehicles today, (anything <~$100K )and is pretty much unavoidable. A great detail shop could paint perfect your existing paint, get rid of all the swirls, and reduce the orange peel, and then and put on a ceramic coating, but your usually talking several (2-4) thousand dollars. and roughly a week's worth of time.
I've been using Griot's hybrid ceramic spray on wax. It provides great water beading properties and a pretty good shine. I appreciate the advice given...better start saving up for a paint correction and ceramic coating.
Old 07-12-23, 08:46 AM
SgtLip
Advanced

Originally Posted by Doug007
I've been using Griot's hybrid ceramic spray on wax. It provides great water beading properties and a pretty good shine. I appreciate the advice given...better start saving up for a paint correction and ceramic coating.
FYI, I had Paint Protection Film applied to the Full Front of my 23 NX 450H+ Base. While they had it I had to COMPLETE vehicle Professionally Ceramic Coated. It cost me $800 but that was because no paint correction was necessary (I had already done that). The ceramic coating was applied to the car body and on top of the Paint Protection Film and all glass and wheels.

That may give you a reference cost in Florida.

Doug007 (07-13-23)
Old 07-12-23, 09:38 AM
tff
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 39 Posts

Somewhat related to this, the below is in the NX owner's manual. Says not to use waxes with abrasives. Does this mean we shouldn't use any kind of polish on our Lexus for at least 5 to 8 years?
Will those swirl marks from washing go away (restore) by themselves?)

Doug007 (07-13-23)
Old 07-12-23, 10:08 AM
SgtLip
Advanced

Originally Posted by tff
Somewhat related to this, the below is in the NX owner's manual. Says not to use waxes with abrasives. Does this mean we shouldn't use any kind of polish on our Lexus for at least 5 to 8 years?
Will those swirl marks from washing go away (restore) by themselves?)

Excellent Question. I wasn't aware the Clear Coat could self heal. But there's a lot of stuff I don't know. Maybe a smart person can help with this one.

Old 07-13-23, 08:08 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,222 Likes on 1,661 Posts

It's been around for a while. It's just a softer clear coat that when activated by heat, will self-fill and re-fill the scratch. Think of ice melting and refreezing. So yes polishing would hinder that ability as it would be removing some of the material and thus properties of the self-healing feature. This is why good car washing habits are important. I wrote a bit about it on my blog but will probably elaborate more soon.

The self-healing btw is for light marring or scratches from improper car washing. it will not work if you key your car.
Doug007 (07-13-23)