NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

Hesitation/Stumble when first accelerating from a stop

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-23, 03:33 AM
2022NX350
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Hesitation/Stumble when first accelerating from a stop

I have a 2022 NX350 and in the past few months at times when I start out from a stop the car has almost a dead spot in the gas pedal for the first second under light acceleration. It seems like the car hesitates or stumbles at times when I am starting out for the first second or so from a stop. I always turn off the auto shut off so the car is always running and not starting.
I always have it in normal mode, not echo mode as it seems to have less power in echo mode. I have also put it in sport mode but it still has the same problem. This problem does not every single time I start out, maybe only 50% of the time.

The car is almost a year old and has 4,000 miles on it so it will go in for it's first oil change next month. I will mention it to the dealer and see if they know about but I figured I would ask here too to see if others know of a solution.

Aside from that I love the car and find this forum has so much useful information.

John
Old 07-09-23, 12:15 AM
IDK
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 2022NX350
I have a 2022 NX350 and in the past few months at times when I start out from a stop the car has almost a dead spot in the gas pedal for the first second under light acceleration. It seems like the car hesitates or stumbles at times when I am starting out for the first second or so from a stop. I always turn off the auto shut off so the car is always running and not starting.
I always have it in normal mode, not echo mode as it seems to have less power in echo mode. I have also put it in sport mode but it still has the same problem. This problem does not every single time I start out, maybe only 50% of the time.

The car is almost a year old and has 4,000 miles on it so it will go in for it's first oil change next month. I will mention it to the dealer and see if they know about but I figured I would ask here too to see if others know of a solution.

Aside from that I love the car and find this forum has so much useful information.

John
I have a 2022 350 F Sport with around 12,000 klms and haven’t encountered your problem at all. In fact, quite the opposite, not a fraction of turbo lag, it has super smooth acceleration from every take off. You might need to give you dealer a visit, there could be something in your car that needs tweaking. Only a pure guess from my point of view.
All the best with it, I am sure it will get sorted.
Old 07-09-23, 09:00 AM
Droid13
Racer

Received 599 Likes on 419 Posts

This has not been my experience as well. I find from a stop its very responsive. I have on the very rare occasion noticed that if I slow to almost a stop (down to 2-3 mph) and then hit the gas it can take a 1/2 second to respond, but outside of that, generally responsiveness is very good through most other driving conditions.
Old 07-09-23, 08:41 PM
Yumyum
9th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have this exact problem. Hesitation from a stop. I have narrowed it down to a certain situation. When the temperature rises above 90 degrees my NX 350 will hesitate from a stop to a point that I consider it dangerous. (Start/Stop is always disabled) If I need to cross a busy intersection it becomes quite scary when my NX stumbles for a couple seconds and then takes off. I have taken it to Lexus multiple times and they say the usual "We have never seen this before" and "It operates correctly" and "There is nothing wrong with your vehicle".and "There is something wrong with the way you operate the vehicle". Huh? This is my 4th Lexus and have never experienced this hesitation issue before....
I rented another NX 350 using Turo and that car had zero hesitation issues with temps above 90. But I obviously don't know how to operate the vehicle....
I have learned to master my cussing skills when crossing intersections. It seems to help.
The following users liked this post:
SgtLip (07-10-23)
Old 07-10-23, 03:52 AM
gcskoor
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Sorry, I hate it when a dealer just says they all do it or we have never heard of it. My very first car has a major problem starting from a dead stop also. Dealer totally ignored me until my uncle, that owned an automotive repair shop, called the service manger. The problem suddenly had a fix. LOL

But I will say, my 2017 CRV 1.5L turbo lag never bothered me until one day I made a left turn and noticed a car coming up way over the speed limit. I noticed for the first time that turbo lag and it was scary- it seemed like forever before the car picked up speed.

FWIW, I have now the 350h. I had a similar situation a few weeks into having the car. I knew about the instant torque, but it was a totally different experience with no lag.

Last edited by gcskoor; 07-10-23 at 03:58 AM.
Old 07-10-23, 06:35 PM
jatwell
Pit Crew

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Yumyum
I have this exact problem. Hesitation from a stop. I have narrowed it down to a certain situation. When the temperature rises above 90 degrees my NX 350 will hesitate from a stop to a point that I consider it dangerous. (Start/Stop is always disabled) If I need to cross a busy intersection it becomes quite scary when my NX stumbles for a couple seconds and then takes off. I have taken it to Lexus multiple times and they say the usual "We have never seen this before" and "It operates correctly" and "There is nothing wrong with your vehicle".and "There is something wrong with the way you operate the vehicle". Huh? This is my 4th Lexus and have never experienced this hesitation issue before....
I rented another NX 350 using Turo and that car had zero hesitation issues with temps above 90. But I obviously don't know how to operate the vehicle....
I have learned to master my cussing skills when crossing intersections. It seems to help.
It’s been over 90 here for about 8 days in a row and I’ve driven everyday in stop and go traffic without the first sign of hesitation at all. Sometimes I use auto stop/start, sometimes I disable it. Assuming you’re using good gas then I have no idea. Sorry I can’t be of more help.
Old 07-14-23, 03:54 AM
2022NX350
Rookie

Originally Posted by Yumyum
As I live in Florida it is over 90 every day now so temp may have something to do with it. I did only notice the problem in the past few months so maybe it doesn't happen in the cooler weather. I will mention it to the dealer when it goes in for service but wont hold my breath. I guess if enough people have the problem and complain it might get fixed some day. I only run super with 92 or 93 octane in the car and always use top tier gas in it.

John
Old 07-14-23, 04:28 AM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 109 Posts

There is a you tube reviewer from California called Milesperhr and he reviewed the NX F Sport and talked about this lag as well. It was a bit concerning.
Old 08-09-23, 11:37 AM
2022NX350
Rookie

I took the NX in for in first oil change today and mentioned the hesitation problem to the service advisor. They claimed they took it for a ride and didn't notice any problem. I guess I will just live with it until the cooler weather returns and see if the problem goes away.
Old 08-09-23, 07:36 PM
GXWes
Pit Crew

Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts

I took the NX in for in first oil change today and mentioned the hesitation problem to the service advisor. They claimed they took it for a ride and didn't notice any problem. I guess I will just live with it until the cooler weather returns and see if the problem goes away.

On my last RX350. I had a problem taking off from a stop. But it was always when I didn't come to a complete stop. The car would hunt for the right gear to go to. So, for a few seconds it would just hang.
Old 08-10-23, 12:56 PM
Malky
Driver

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

I had a vehicle that did this but not all the time. It had something to do with the car starting in second gear when on a flat gradient or slightly downhill. Sometimes the transmission would get confused and shift down to 1st before accelerating, this would cause a pause and a small transmission jolt. Funny thing is, it also had an 8sp, stop start tech and a turbo engine.
Old 10-06-23, 03:10 PM
MD312
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same issue

John
I’m also having this same issue and the dealer told me my car was fine. Any idea what it is?
Old 10-07-23, 03:48 AM
2022NX350
Rookie

Originally Posted by MD312
I’m also having this same issue and the dealer told me my car was fine. Any idea what it is?
I am taking the vehicle in for a recall next week and will mention it again. After monitoring it more closely, the hesitation seems to happen mostly after a hot restart. If the vehicle is parked with the motor hot and then restarted after a little while it seems the worst. You can really notice it when starting from a stop and I have tried it in sport mode ( I never run it in eco mode) and no difference. I only put 92 octane gas in it and the car only has 5,000 miles on it. The problem started about six months ago when the really hot weather started in Florida and it is still hot now with temps around 90 every day.

I consider it a safety problem and maybe if I word it that way the dealer will look into it and figure it out. I think it will take a ECU software update to fix it as it seems to be fuel injection problem but that is just a guess on my part. If I find a solution I will post it, if enough of us complain maybe Lexus will see it is a problem and fix it.

John
Old 10-07-23, 03:51 AM
Tinkertech
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

You want me to lie to you like the dealership and tell you there is nothing wrong with your car? Then just pay the nice girl at the end.

Dealership mechanics don't diagnosis problems they are just parts replacers. They fire the parts cannon and hope something works. Most times it does.

Dealerships have seen and heard of all the issues long before you but they wont admit it because then they would be on the hook to fix it. They would rather move on to the next flat rate or warranty ticket.

I have had many friends in the dealership service dept. and they tell me all the little lies and secrets they keep from the customer.

YES! Your car has a definite problem but the dealership does not have a quick answer and they don't hire people that can diagnosis hard issues, too time consuming.

Diagnosis is time consuming and requires a lot of specialized test equipment, get the idea? $$$

Unless Lexus comes out with a TSB your stuck with the issue or you might try and find a shop that specializes in diagnosis. They will only tell you what wrong and usually don't do repairs themselves.

Good luck.
Old 10-13-23, 04:08 AM
2022NX350
Rookie

Dealer had the car for a few hours yesterday and couldn't find a problem with it. They did test drive it with equipment hooked up to it and said everything was fine with no codes. They did inform Lexus so maybe if they get more reports they will look into it. No happy but I understand and will just live with it until it gets worse or Lexus comes out with a fix.

Quick Reply: Hesitation/Stumble when first accelerating from a stop