HUD Shaking/Vibrating

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-23, 10:49 AM
akck4
10th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default HUD Shaking/Vibrating

Hi Everyone,

Searched the forum but couldn't find any posts regarding issues with the HUD shaking/vibrating.

I have a 2023 350h luxury and this is the first time I've had the HUD option. I've noticed that when driving on the highway, (60mph or over) my HUD shakes/vibrates over different types of road surface paving. Newly paved or good paved roads, no shaking. At first I thought it was just shaking with the car (due to vibrations) but it's starting to drive me crazy. Is this normal? Or, if it's an issue, can it be fixed easily? Maybe the the HUD system isn't bolted on tightly, etc?

Thanks in advance for any input or other's experience.
Old 07-10-23, 11:09 AM
Malky
Driver

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

I have a 2024 350h and have no shaking/vibration of the HuD in any road condition. I'm guessing your HUD assembly isn't fastened properly in the dash.
The following 2 users liked this post by Malky:
dklanecky1 (07-29-23), SdeGat (07-17-23)
Old 07-10-23, 04:40 PM
SgtLip
Advanced

Received 208 Likes on 149 Posts

I have a 23 450H+ with HUD and absolutely no shaking. I'd see what the dealer has to say.

Old 07-11-23, 12:44 AM
BobMillar
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by akck4
Hi Everyone,

Searched the forum but couldn't find any posts regarding issues with the HUD shaking/vibrating.

I have a 2023 350h luxury and this is the first time I've had the HUD option. I've noticed that when driving on the highway, (60mph or over) my HUD shakes/vibrates over different types of road surface paving. Newly paved or good paved roads, no shaking. At first I thought it was just shaking with the car (due to vibrations) but it's starting to drive me crazy. Is this normal? Or, if it's an issue, can it be fixed easily? Maybe the the HUD system isn't bolted on tightly, etc?

Thanks in advance for any input or other's experience.
Hello, I had the same issue on motorways at speed on particular surfaces. I changed out the runflat tyres for "silent" tyres and the result was very good. Most of the vibration disappeared and the car is near-silent on all but the roughest roads. There is still some HUD vibration on very specific stretches of motorway, but it is reduced. I will get the mounting checked at the next service but I suspect that the HUD mountings are flexible to some extent because the projector can move to adjust height etc. This may result in the possibility of resonance at specific speeds and road surface vibration. It's a pity it is at motorway speeds.
Old 07-11-23, 09:07 PM
JasonNZLexus
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2023 UXE is vibrating at 97km per hour. Im very worried its going to pull me into a wall on the motorway. does anyone else have this problem with their electric car?
Old 07-11-23, 10:07 PM
BobMillar
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi, Bob Millar again. If you have vibration at specific speeds, the most common problem is wheel balance or misalignment. I had that once when the tyre technician said that the wheel was not perfectly round. Alternatives are: a wheel is not seated properly; a tyre has a defect or has some water in it; a brake disk is warped.
That said it might be possible that something in the drive train is out of balance. I hope this can be of help.
Old 07-11-23, 10:15 PM
IntrinoX
Instructor

Received 561 Likes on 329 Posts

Either your HUD box is internally broken or not properly secured.
Old 07-17-23, 07:34 AM
SdeGat
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Unhappy

I’m glad you are raising this @akck4. I have the same problem on highways and it is very annoying. And no, it is not normal. The Acura I had before my NX350 was rock solid. I suspect the HUD mounting bracket is too loose or something like that. 🙁
Old 07-28-23, 04:10 PM
akck4
10th Gear

Thanks everyone for the replies.

I took my car in today for the following items:
1) 15K Service
2) Driver side mirror shaking (They ordered the parts at my 10K service and finally came in)
3) HUD shaking/vibrating
4) Fixing the tint (scratches) This is the second time redoing it.

They told me that diagnosing the HUD issue will cost $200+. I asked if that shouldn't be part of warranty and they said if they find something then it'll be covered. If they don't see anything, it'll cost me.

I just got a call saying that they need the car for another day. I asked if they diagnosed the HUD issue and they said yes, and that it is normal. I'm like WTF? I asked if I could actually speak to the technician that looked at it tomorrow when I pick up the car and they said that person won't be there. I wish I knew how to upload videos on this forum to get everyone's thoughts.

For a loaner car, they gave me a 2023 RX500h with only 241 miles on it. It has the HUD and it looks so much more solid than mine.

Overall, this dealer sucks on any work they perform. I've had the following items fixed since I bought the car:
Mandatory Add Ons
1) Chip protect - $1,698, had multiple areas that had bubbles and edges not accurately adhering - Fixed it at 5K service
2) Window tint - $599 (Just front driver and passenger side) Had numerous pin size bubbles on both sides. They replaced it at 10K service
3) Window tint - newly replace tint had scratches. Suppose to fix at 15K service

Vehicle
1) Passenger side door mood lighting not working when I first purchased it. Fixed at 5K service. They said the light and speakers weren't electrically hooked up.
2) Driver's side mirror shaking. Hopefully getting fixed at 15K service
3) HUD shaking/vibrating. They said it's normal and will probably charge me for diagnosis fee.

Will give more updates when I actually pick up the car.

Last edited by akck4; 07-28-23 at 05:06 PM.
Old 07-28-23, 04:14 PM
akck4
10th Gear

Originally Posted by SdeGat
I’m glad you are raising this @akck4. I have the same problem on highways and it is very annoying. And no, it is not normal. The Acura I had before my NX350 was rock solid. I suspect the HUD mounting bracket is too loose or something like that. 🙁
Have you brought it to the attention of your dealer? Really curious on what they find out or what they respond with.
Old 07-28-23, 04:23 PM
SdeGat
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Have you brought it to the attention of your dealer? Really curious on what they find out or what they respond with.
No, not yet. I’m collecting issues and will make an appointment soon.
Although I may « advise » Lexus directly as the dealer had to check with Lexus last time I went in to have my rattle fixed. 💁‍♂️

BTW, I am wondering if the issue with the HUD could be tied to the transparent plastic that protects it. 🤔 I noticed that it was loose when dusting the dashboard. 💁‍♂️
Old 07-28-23, 04:43 PM
SgtLip
Advanced

Received 208 Likes on 149 Posts

3) HUD shaking/vibrating
They told me that diagnosing the HUD issue will cost $200+. I asked if that shouldn't be part of warranty and they said if they find something then it'll be covered. If they don't see anything, it'll cost me.

I just got a call saying that they need the car for another day. I asked if they diagnosed the HUD issue and they said yes, and that it is normal. I'm like WTF? I asked if I could actually speak to the technician that looked at it tomorrow when I pick up the car and they said that person won't be there. I wish I knew how to upload videos on this forum to get everyone's thoughts.

For a loaner car, they gave me a 2023 RX500h with only 241 miles on it. It has the HUD and it looks so much more solid than mine.
I
@akck4 I'd throw the BS flag on that. Your vehicle is still under warranty. If the HUD is shaking then they need to diagnose at their expense. Lexus pays the dealer to perform service on your car. You shouldn't have to pay for them to evaluate the issue. I would make them do a test drive with you in the car in the seat behind the driver (you can't see HUD in passenger seat) so you can see it too.

Just curious, do they make you wait until the next service mileage point to make repairs or is that at your request? (outside mirror repair and window tint) That's another item I'd throw the BS flag on. You shouldn't have to wait and drive a luxury car with issues especially after you paid for the tint and they screwed it up twice. Glad I have 3 Lexus dealers within 100 miles from me, I'd be changing dealers.

The following users liked this post:
SdeGat (07-28-23)
Old 07-28-23, 05:05 PM
akck4
10th Gear

Originally Posted by SgtLip
@akck4 I'd throw the BS flag on that. Your vehicle is still under warranty. If the HUD is shaking then they need to diagnose at their expense. Lexus pays the dealer to perform service on your car. You shouldn't have to pay for them to evaluate the issue. I would make them do a test drive with you in the car in the seat behind the driver (you can't see HUD in passenger seat) so you can see it too.

Just curious, do they make you wait until the next service mileage point to make repairs or is that at your request? (outside mirror repair and window tint) That's another item I'd throw the BS flag on. You shouldn't have to wait and drive a luxury car with issues especially after you paid for the tint and they screwed it up twice. Glad I have 3 Lexus dealers within 100 miles from me, I'd be changing dealers.
When I'm there to pick up the car and if they're going to charge me for the diagnosis, I'm going to call BS. I'm the one that schedules it for the next service because I don't want to make multiple trips to the dealer. Plus, I drive a lot so my service time comes up pretty quick. Got the car on 12/14/22 and already have 15K on it.

The pavement on the highway near the dealership seems to be newer/smoother so I don't get the vibration. The highways that I use for my commute has lot more grooves so on certain sections, I get the vibration. Also, I'm not familiar with the roads near the dealership so I don't know where to go to mimic the vibration scenario. I never thought of going to another lexus dealership for this issue. I have one closer to my home but didn't buy it from them. Maybe I'll just try that. Thanks.
The following 2 users liked this post by akck4:
SdeGat (07-28-23), SgtLip (07-28-23)
Old 07-29-23, 03:18 PM
dklanecky1
Intermediate

Received 136 Likes on 91 Posts

I'd find a road near the dealer that will trigger/create the issue your experiencing in your vehicle, and then request that a new vehicle from their inventory get a test drive by you.

If it's "normal", then every other same model with the HUD on their lot will exhibit the same issue.
Old 07-30-23, 04:56 AM
GXWes
Pit Crew

Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts

1) 15K Service
2) Driver side mirror shaking (They ordered the parts at my 10K service and finally came in)
3) HUD shaking/vibrating
4) Fixing the tint (scratches) This is the second time redoing it.

Overall, this dealer sucks on any work they perform. I've had the following items fixed since I bought the car:
Mandatory Add Ons
1) Chip protect - $1,698, had multiple areas that had bubbles and edges not accurately adhering - Fixed it at 5K service
2) Window tint - $599 (Just front driver and passenger side) Had numerous pin size bubbles on both sides. They replaced it at 10K service
3) Window tint - newly replace tint had scratches. Suppose to fix at 15K service

Vehicle
1) Passenger side door mood lighting not working when I first purchased it. Fixed at 5K service. They said the light and speakers weren't electrically hooked up.
2) Driver's side mirror shaking. Hopefully getting fixed at 15K service
3) HUD shaking/vibrating. They said it's normal and will probably charge me for diagnosis fee.

Will give more updates when I actually pick up the car.
You need to find a different dealership. Never been charged to diagnose an issue with a car that's still under warranty.

Last edited by GXWes; 08-02-23 at 03:23 PM.

Quick Reply: HUD Shaking/Vibrating