NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

Advice for a Luddite

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-23, 06:57 PM
SeismicGuy
Pit Crew

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

HELP!! I'm completely stumped. I downloaded the Lexus app and am trying to ADD VEHICLE. I get to the part where it want me to scan the QR code from the multimedia screen and I cannot get to whatever screen I need to that will have the QR code. The help on the app says to tap settings, then get started but when I do that it takes me to a screen that already has a profile and it is Beverly Hills Lexus and is primary. So now what. Should the dealer have deleted that and started from scratch with us? Not sure what to do next except maybe go to my local Lexus dealer and have them do it.
Old 07-14-23, 10:06 PM
43sbest
Pit Crew

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by SeismicGuy
HELP!! I'm completely stumped. I downloaded the Lexus app and am trying to ADD VEHICLE. I get to the part where it want me to scan the QR code from the multimedia screen and I cannot get to whatever screen I need to that will have the QR code. The help on the app says to tap settings, then get started but when I do that it takes me to a screen that already has a profile and it is Beverly Hills Lexus and is primary. So now what. Should the dealer have deleted that and started from scratch with us? Not sure what to do next except maybe go to my local Lexus dealer and have them do it.
Join the crowd, like me you have a dealer that has poor quality delivery techs. Everything should have been downloaded, set up and explained with you and your wife present (they need both smart phones) when the car was delivered. To this day I cannot get the car on the Lexus app on my phone (our phones are both Apple 13 Pros). You might not be aware but the only way you can set home or other destinations on the nav. is on the Lexus app and then send it too the car, if your driving the car will only take information from your phone. The Nav system in your NX is cloud based not loaded on a hard drive. The work around is to use "hey Lexus" and give the address you want to go to. The problem is you expect the dealer to set up and explain everything (as they should). As a new owner of a new car with tech overkill you don't know what questions to ask or if all details have been addressed. It's apparent they left you in the dark.
Good luck
The following 2 users liked this post by 43sbest:
Kodiak412 (07-24-23), SeismicGuy (07-14-23)
Old 07-15-23, 11:45 AM
SeismicGuy
Pit Crew

Well I think I got that resolved. I called the dealer telling them the situation and they knew right away what needed to be done on their end which was to unlink themselves to Lexus. Upon doing so I got the proper screen showing up on the car display and went through the QR code and other steps to finally have the car show up in my Lexus App. I set up the Lexus App using my wife's email address. So on my phone which also has the app I guess I log in using her email address. Although it is not clear to me if there is any reason to create an account using my email address as well or just keep using her's. The Digital Key is downloaded to her phone which allows opening the car and remote starting but the dealer said you still need to be carrying some physical key to actually start the car. I was under the impression all you needed was the phone to drive otherwise what's the point?

I am perusing through the Owner's Manual here and there but I have a feeling that I will learn most of the features by stumbling onto them as needed. It seems like you need and advanced degree these days to master the workings of these cars.
The following users liked this post:
Kodiak412 (07-24-23)
Old 07-19-23, 10:51 AM
SeismicGuy
Pit Crew

Default More observations/questions

Well it's been about a week now and the wife and I are still trying to get comfortable with all of the bells-and-whistles stuff. We've watched some of those YouTube videos about the car which are somewhat helpful The main mystery to both of us is how the car links with a given person and precedence of key fob or phone. Unfortunately we still have only one fob (plus the thin credit card key) and are awaiting the second fob. As with our previous Acura whatever settings you put in the car are tied to each fob and the car recognizes whichever fob is in the driver's set-yes? But then again each person also links their phone to the car and I think that linkage is also to the fob if I understand it (I am getting a headache). Anyway next week we will be visiting our much more tech-savvy son who just bought a Rav4 with bells and whistles which I assume are similar to the Lexus.

A couple of more surprises though:
  • From the Lexus display on the car (without getting into Android Auto), if I hit the little nav symbol I trigger the Get Started screen where I guess I would need to start a subscription in order to get a map on the screen and nav capabilities. I am surprised there is not some FREE basic map/nav thing included. However it looks like when you engage the Android Auto you get maps/navigation via Maps or Waze and that's fine with me.
  • However, when you are using Android Auto and then hit the Lexus App and then hit the Music symbol and then Sirius, you are now really using the Sirius app on the phone and it is streaming to the car versus Sirius streaming to the car directly--yes? Moreover there are no other Radio stations that show up such as AM, FM. So if for some oddball reason I wanted to listen to AM I need to disconnect the Android Auto?
These are the kinds of things we are "struggling" with and I suppose once we get a basic feel for this stuff it will become second nature.

Doug
Old 07-19-23, 12:42 PM
bt10
Pit Crew

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

I don’t remember if you have the big or little screen, but the top of the radio screen should say radio in gray print. If it’s blue with sirius, etc, in gray next to that you can back up one menu to display all types of bands. In android auto and pushing lexus app, that goes back to the car based system. You can play pandora, sirius, spotify, iheartradio, your music from your phone, maps, etc, on the phone side if you want to.
Old 07-19-23, 03:13 PM
SeismicGuy
Pit Crew

What I mean is this is the Audio screen you get when you hit the two little music notes from the main screen. You get the choice of FM Radio, AM Radio, and Sirius. But when you transition to Android Auto you lose the FM and AM choices. I would have thought that the Audio via the native Lexus screen would work in concert with Audio available through Android Auto but I guess not. At any given time you have one or the other. Maybe this is getting too much in the weeds but I was essentially trying to figure out what happens with the native Lexus stuff when you are in Androd Auto.

Old 07-19-23, 07:47 PM
bt10
Pit Crew

Yes, you play radio with the car and apps with your phone. Now, I know some androids have a radio receiver that would play on the phone side, but most do not, so most people go back to the car system for that.
Old 07-21-23, 11:37 AM
SeismicGuy
Pit Crew

Well I just inadvertently made a discovery (which is probably the way I will learn about other things with the vehicle). The display was on Android Auto via my wife's phone and the Google Maps was on the Lexus display along with Pandora music. For no particular reason I hit the MODE switch on the steering wheel and this engaged the Radio mode of the native Lexus app while still keeping the Android Auto display. Each time I hit MODE it would change the source from FM, AM, Sirius, etc. and finally going back to whatever was playing on the phone via Android Auto. This is exactly what I was trying to figure out--how to maintain the map while being able to select the various native audio sources--Eureka!

Also just found this is kind of covered here at about the 10:30 mark
Still having a bit of a problem with the HomeLink. I went through the programming of the mirror button using my transmitter (it is a Linear receiver on the garage end) and the button works fine for closing the garage but when opening the door lifts a few inches then stops, I hit the button again and it closes, hit the button again and it opens a few inches, hit the button again and closes, but eventually it will open the door all the way. Perhaps I did not sucessfully program the button on the mirror but I guess I can erase the HomeLink and start again.

Last edited by SeismicGuy; 07-22-23 at 10:53 AM.
Old 07-23-23, 02:24 PM
bt10
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by SeismicGuy
Well I just inadvertently made a discovery (which is probably the way I will learn about other things with the vehicle). The display was on Android Auto via my wife's phone and the Google Maps was on the Lexus display along with Pandora music. For no particular reason I hit the MODE switch on the steering wheel and this engaged the Radio mode of the native Lexus app while still keeping the Android Auto display. Each time I hit MODE it would change the source from FM, AM, Sirius, etc. and finally going back to whatever was playing on the phone via Android Auto. This is exactly what I was trying to figure out--how to maintain the map while being able to select the various native audio sources--Eureka!

Also just found this is kind of covered here at about the 10:30 mark https://youtu.be/-nIaDAoIjx0
Still having a bit of a problem with the HomeLink. I went through the programming of the mirror button using my transmitter (it is a Linear receiver on the garage end) and the button works fine for closing the garage but when opening the door lifts a few inches then stops, I hit the button again and it closes, hit the button again and it opens a few inches, hit the button again and closes, but eventually it will open the door all the way. Perhaps I did not sucessfully program the button on the mirror but I guess I can erase the HomeLink and start again.
Well, yeah, if all you needed was the mode button, shoulda just asked…
Old 07-23-23, 09:48 PM
SeismicGuy
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by bt10
Well, yeah, if all you needed was the mode button, shoulda just asked…
I did but nobody offered that answer. The interaction between the native Lexus app and what happens when the vehicle is in Android Auto mode is interesting and not entirely intuitive, at least to me.
The following users liked this post:
bt10 (07-24-23)
Old 08-01-23, 08:54 AM
SeismicGuy
Pit Crew

My son up in Silicon Valley just bought a Toyota Rav4 hybrid and we had the chance to see it this last weekend. It is apparently a Premium or Luxury-level model since it had some nice bells and whistles including the panoramic roof and the 360-degree camera view which is pretty slick. Turns out that even though he is much more of a techie than I am, it turns out we both are more or less at the same place with the things that was confusing to me. But basically he just uses CarPlay and calls it a day.

One thing I definitely liked better on the Rav4 vs the Lexus is that he has both the speedo/tach and the power-level display showing at the same time with the info stuff between them. There is room for both since the fuel and coolant temp indicators are integrated into one of those areas while the Lexus has the unnecessarily large fuel and temp guages taking up much of the right side of the display.