NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

Advice for a Luddite

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-23 | 02:05 PM
SeismicGuy
Pit Crew

Default Advice for a Luddite

I have been lurking around this forum for a while and just posted to the "member introduction" thread after taking possesion of our new NX350h Premium. The last car we bought was 12 years ago and I never even learned or used all of the technology that was from that era which was primitive compared to all of the tech stuff that is on the Lexus. Other than showing us how to start the car, put it into gear, drive a bit, talk about the door handles, and linking our Samsung S23 phones to the car that was about it. It was pointed out that once you link the phone to the car, the touch screen basically becomes your phone with all the apps, etc. I figured I could pick up the rest of the stuff by looking through the Owner Manuals. But there is so much there and separate Technology and Multimedia manuals that it is somewhat overwhelming. I understand there are all sorts of apps and stuff native to the Lexus aside from what you have when going off your phone.

Other than "read the damn manuals" are there any other pointers or youtube videos someone can point me to in order to more quickly come up to speed?

Doug
Old 07-13-23 | 03:03 PM
Randyp1234
Advanced

I'll post this without links because I'm too lazy to look them up right now, but go to YouTube and search for "Lexus NX Deep Dive" and you'll find two videos both over an hour long. These should be required watching for all new owners. Plus this forum.
The following 6 users liked this post by Randyp1234:
Doug007 (07-13-23), Finallynx (07-18-23), Freds430 (07-13-23), romer (07-14-23), SeismicGuy (07-13-23), Tarnshoe (07-20-23) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-13-23 | 03:10 PM
Malky
Driver

The following 5 users liked this post by Malky:
Doug007 (07-13-23), Finallynx (07-18-23), romer (07-14-23), SeismicGuy (07-13-23), Tarnshoe (07-20-23)
Old 07-13-23 | 03:54 PM
Freds430
Pole Position

100% agree with watch the YouTube videos in your NX on a tablet with your phone connected. By far the best way to learn. Pretty tech savvy and was a little overwhelming for me. Pace yourself and try to learn four or five new things every day. Trust me it will come and you will enjoy the heck at of your infotainment system.
The following 2 users liked this post by Freds430:
romer (07-14-23), SeismicGuy (07-13-23)
Old 07-13-23 | 05:30 PM
Doug007
Intermediate

Great advice from fellow members. I watched the videos several times...the first as a quick overview. Then read the manual online (all before receiving the NX350H) and then watching the videos in sections. Scenes are referenced to the manual which was very helpful. After nearly 10 months of ownership I will occasionally refer back to the videos for a particular query. Congrats on your new ride.
The following users liked this post:
romer (07-14-23)
Old 07-13-23 | 09:38 PM
SeismicGuy
Pit Crew

Well my wife and I did watch the Part 1 deep dive and it was lightyears easier than slogging through the manual and also borderline overwhelming with all of the various features. In fact I was not even aware that the car has auto folding side mirrors since they have not yet folded (I guess there is something I need to set), nor did I realize that in addition to standard cruise control there is presumably adaptive cruise control. I am sure there is a bunch of other stuff I am not yet aware of.

It seems like the very first thing we should do is to download the app to our phones and create profiles-yes? The dealer did not even mention this but they did get our phones synced to the car's android system. But does it matter who is the primary driver and who is the added driver? My wife may be driving the car a bit more than me but it will be close to 50-50. So we both need to download the Lexus app to our respective phones and then someone needs to decide who is the primary? Then the other person goes through the same thing on their phone? Then the keys also get linked to the respective person and the car knows who is getting in the driver's seat according to the key or phone they are carrying?
Old 07-14-23 | 04:14 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Items we and a friend both with a 2023 NX350h bought and really enjoy.

Amazon Amazon

Amazon Amazon

This tray is used to keep are the small things they use often in the top tray like pens, coins etc, for easy access and below are things used seldom like cell phone battery charger, folder with registration and insurance card, toll transponder etc.

https://www.amazon.com/CDEFG-Organizer-Accessories-Secondary-Container/dp/B09WR2TW28/ref=sr_1_3?crid=PKQDSN22CWT2&keywords=lexus+nx+center+console+tray&qid=1689333103&s=automotive&sprefix=lexus+nx+center+console+tray%2Cautomotive%2C77&sr=1-3
​​​​​​

Personalized settings that can only be done at the dealer there are many but these are the two we had changed. The lane change blinker setting defaults to three which is to few and seven is to many so we had both NX's changed to five. Talking to a friend with a 2018 Toyota Highlander about this and he did not even know he had the lane change signal blinks. The other is if we hold down the unlock button on the key fob for three seconds all the windows and moon roof open which is nice when approaching the NX on a bit day.

Last edited by Freds430; 07-14-23 at 04:36 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Freds430:
Doug007 (07-14-23), Finallynx (07-18-23), romer (07-14-23), Xanadu350 (07-14-23)
Old 07-14-23 | 04:25 AM
Xanadu350
Racer

I like that organizer and logo coasters nice additions.
Old 07-14-23 | 08:51 AM
SeismicGuy
Pit Crew

I definitely like the console organizer. I saw another one that looks good as well

Amazon.com: FIILINES Center Console Organizer Compatible with 2022 2023 Lexus NX NX 250/NX 350/NX 350h/NX 450h+ Armrest Storage Box ABS Console Insert Tray Container Accessories with Black Mats and Red Mats : Automotive Amazon.com: FIILINES Center Console Organizer Compatible with 2022 2023 Lexus NX NX 250/NX 350/NX 350h/NX 450h+ Armrest Storage Box ABS Console Insert Tray Container Accessories with Black Mats and Red Mats : Automotive

Funny thing is that post this and the other one have a couple of reviews saying "doesn't fit" but it could be they had a different year NX?
Old 07-14-23 | 08:57 AM
Doug007
Intermediate

Freds...thanks for the link to the silicon key fob covers! I have the console organizer and it works great.
The following users liked this post:
romer (07-14-23)
Old 07-14-23 | 08:59 AM
Randyp1234
Advanced

Originally Posted by SeismicGuy
Well my wife and I did watch the Part 1 deep dive and it was lightyears easier than slogging through the manual and also borderline overwhelming with all of the various features. In fact I was not even aware that the car has auto folding side mirrors since they have not yet folded (I guess there is something I need to set), nor did I realize that in addition to standard cruise control there is presumably adaptive cruise control. I am sure there is a bunch of other stuff I am not yet aware of.

It seems like the very first thing we should do is to download the app to our phones and create profiles-yes? The dealer did not even mention this but they did get our phones synced to the car's android system. But does it matter who is the primary driver and who is the added driver? My wife may be driving the car a bit more than me but it will be close to 50-50. So we both need to download the Lexus app to our respective phones and then someone needs to decide who is the primary? Then the other person goes through the same thing on their phone? Then the keys also get linked to the respective person and the car knows who is getting in the driver's seat according to the key or phone they are carrying?
If you have two separate login's with the Lexus app but both tied to the same NX, only one of you can use the remote features like starting and lock/unlock the car My wife and I use the same account for this. BUT - you can keep separate driver profiles in the car by tying your key fob to the account, assuming you got two keys. It does seem, however, that the cars frequently get confused which profile to load when you're both in the car with your own fobs. There are many threads about that here with possible solutions.

Enjoy the new car and exploring it's features and quirks!!
Old 07-14-23 | 09:38 AM
SeismicGuy
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Randyp1234
If you have two separate login's with the Lexus app but both tied to the same NX, only one of you can use the remote features like starting and lock/unlock the car My wife and I use the same account for this. BUT - you can keep separate driver profiles in the car by tying your key fob to the account, assuming you got two keys. It does seem, however, that the cars frequently get confused which profile to load when you're both in the car with your own fobs. There are many threads about that here with possible solutions.

Enjoy the new car and exploring it's features and quirks!!
Yes we had two key fobs for our 2012 Acura but wife and I both had essentially same driving position so it didn't matter and probably will be the same for the NX. Our profiles will pretty much be the same so I guess it does not matter who is primary and who is added driver.

By the way had another shock this morning. I was putting in the floor mats and cargo mat and decided to look in the cargo area. I expected to see a bunch of tools and instead saw a bunch of empty slots and a screwdriver. I was about the call the dealer but (luckily) looked in the manual where it says if you have runflat tires you get NO tools. Very weird since I figured you would at least occasionally have use of a tire wrench and even a jack.
Old 07-14-23 | 10:28 AM
Randyp1234
Advanced

Originally Posted by SeismicGuy
Yes we had two key fobs for our 2012 Acura but wife and I both had essentially same driving position so it didn't matter and probably will be the same for the NX. Our profiles will pretty much be the same so I guess it does not matter who is primary and who is added driver.

By the way had another shock this morning. I was putting in the floor mats and cargo mat and decided to look in the cargo area. I expected to see a bunch of tools and instead saw a bunch of empty slots and a screwdriver. I was about the call the dealer but (luckily) looked in the manual where it says if you have runflat tires you get NO tools. Very weird since I figured you would at least occasionally have use of a tire wrench and even a jack.
Nope - you don't get crap except that 50 cent screw driver.
Old 07-14-23 | 01:03 PM
Droid13
Racer

Originally Posted by Randyp1234
Nope - you don't get crap except that 50 cent screw driver.
Are there actually any screws on the NX you could use the screw driver on?

I actually threw in one of those 20 in 1 multi-tools in one of the empty slots, just to make it look less dumb.
Old 07-14-23 | 01:59 PM
Randyp1234
Advanced

Originally Posted by Droid13
Are there actually any screws on the NX you could use the screw driver on?

I actually threw in one of those 20 in 1 multi-tools in one of the empty slots, just to make it look less dumb.
Maybe the license plate?

Quick Reply: Advice for a Luddite