Tips for Opening & Insulating B-Pillar Trim

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-23, 03:05 PM
makbn
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Tips for Opening & Insulating B-Pillar Trim

Hey fellow Lexus NX 350 owners,

I hope everyone is enjoying their rides! Recently, I've been experiencing an annoying rattle noise emanating from the B-Pillar area, specifically near the seat belt height adjuster. After some research, it appears that many others are facing the same issue.

Originally Posted by jlim0930
I hear a lot of rattling noise from the drivers side seat belt where its attached to the base of the car.. the plastic piece is super loud and shakes alot.. looked like it is secured but designed to move ...
any hints on how to make it quieter would be appriciated
Originally Posted by TXOK2017
I am also having a lot of noise coming from the seatbelt area you described! It’s right at the same level as my ear so it’s beyond annoying! Would appreciate anyone’s recommendations on fixes… my NX350 was one of the first few hundred that came out of the Canada factory. Also had the noise coming from the cargo area!
Originally Posted by riceman4k
I also have an annoying rattling sound coming from the driver's side seatbelt area whenever I'm going over bumps. It's especially bad because it's right next to my ear.
Originally Posted by lalexusgs
I have exactly the same problem/noise from the driver's seatbelt cover cap. Passenger side seat belt seems to be tied better and doesn't rattle
To tackle this problem collectively, I'm starting this thread to discuss possible solutions. Has anyone successfully opened up the B-Pillar trim to access the components inside and apply some insulation to resolve the rattle? If so, could you please share your insights and the steps taken to remove the trim?

Whether you've already fixed the issue or have any tips on how to access the B-Pillar trim without causing any damage, your contributions would be greatly appreciated. Let's pool our knowledge and experience to find a reliable and DIY-friendly solution to this vexing rattle problem.
​​​​​​​
Old 08-01-23, 07:48 AM
calvin12
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I also want to know if anyone has figured out how to fix this issue. The tiny rattle sound comes and goes for my NX, but it’s been happening more often lately, especially when the road’s a bit bumpy, particularly with the recent warmer weather.
The following users liked this post:
Doug007 (08-09-23)
Old 08-03-23, 08:11 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,175 Likes on 1,633 Posts

I did this to both my new 7ESes. Unclip b pillar panel by pulling on it with your fingers (not 100% sure it's same as NX), then i took a look at the metal track the seat belt anchor slides on. there's a metal rail. i took a thin piece of durable gaffer's tape , very tiny piece. maybe a thin strip 3/4" long, and covered the rail on ONE side. this prevented play in the seatbelt anchor so it wouldn't rattle. then you just push the pillar cover back on.

edit: link added

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...l#post11027761
makbn (08-03-23)
Old 08-03-23, 08:15 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,175 Likes on 1,633 Posts

Put the tape here. the idea is to place it where the seat belt anchor would normally rest when you drive. so slide it down first. put the tape, then slide it back up (or whatever direction works for you) keep in mind when reassembling the trim panel, the plastic button to release the seatbelt has to line up with the anchor. so line it up first and make sure you can successfully slide it up and down.

The following 2 users liked this post by E46CT:
jmaclennan (08-05-23), makbn (08-03-23)
Old 08-07-23, 09:07 AM
T24A
Rookie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

I had the same thing, was only noticeable when driving with windows down. The air would shake my driver side only. Dealer replaced the entire seatbelt housing, so far so good but it’s only been a few days
makbn (08-08-23)
Old 08-08-23, 11:37 AM
makbn
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by E46CT
Put the tape here. the idea is to place it where the seat belt anchor would normally rest when you drive. so slide it down first. put the tape, then slide it back up (or whatever direction works for you) keep in mind when reassembling the trim panel, the plastic button to release the seatbelt has to line up with the anchor. so line it up first and make sure you can successfully slide it up and down.

Thanks for sharing the picture. I think the issue is the same in NX 350 but my question is how to open the B-pillar trim. I looked at the trim parts online and it seems they have a lot of clips and screws. I'm not sure if it's an easy pull to unclip the trim. There should be some kind of step-by-step dismantle tutorial but I can't find it.
Old 12-27-23, 02:01 AM
makbn
Driver School Candidate

Finally fixed the buzzing noise and rattle in this area, pillars are now dead silent. However, I've noticed some other vibrations over potholes from dashboard and somewhere in the rear seat area. Not a major issue, but I'd like to address these noises too. Anybody else experiencing cabin vibrations and noise over potholes?

p.s. I’ve also added the SD sheets to the body frame too.

Old 02-26-24, 08:54 AM
ExSoldier42Y
4th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry, 1st time posting (will introduce after this post) I came across your issue with the rattle in the B-Pillar in the 2nd gen NX and I am having the exact same issue!

How were you able to remove the trim? Is it as simple as moving the side gaskets and carefully pulling or does it need to be removed from the kick plate up?

I do know there are side airbags as well and not sure if there is a bolt behind it as well.

any help is appreciated bud. Glad you were able to fix this annoying part. Car is pretty much silent except for the passenger b-pillar
Old 02-26-24, 10:07 AM
makbn
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ExSoldier42Y
Sorry, 1st time posting (will introduce after this post) I came across your issue with the rattle in the B-Pillar in the 2nd gen NX and I am having the exact same issue!

How were you able to remove the trim? Is it as simple as moving the side gaskets and carefully pulling or does it need to be removed from the kick plate up?

I do know there are side airbags as well and not sure if there is a bolt behind it as well.

any help is appreciated bud. Glad you were able to fix this annoying part. Car is pretty much silent except for the passenger b-pillar
It was straightforward. follow these steps:
  1. REMOVE THE FRONT AND REAR DOOR OPENING TRIM WEATHERSTRIP
  2. REMOVE THE FRONT AND REAR DOOR SCUFF PLATE
  3. REMOVE CENTER PILLAR LOWER GARNISH
  4. REMOVE CENTER PILLER GARNISH ASSEMBLY

The challenging part is how to make the plastic parts stop rattling against each other!

Old 02-26-24, 10:11 AM
ExSoldier42Y
4th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome bud, thanks for the quick reply and pictures! I’ll definitely look at this when I get some time off on my next weekend.