NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

I finally got my car, plus question about paint protection

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-23 | 07:35 AM
Bopper
Driver School Candidate

Default I finally got my car, plus question about paint protection

After lurking here for -- well, really since the 2nd Gen forum began, I think -- I finally got my car!! It's a 350h base in white with palomino, and I am so in love with it!! It's gorgeous, drives like a dream and I'm getting 40+ mpg.

Here's my question: are any or all of the Lexus paint protection adds worth it? They offered me three different ones, couldn't even tell you what they were. They totalled 3K, but said they'd do them all for half price. I said "no" because I have a general policy of saying no to everything additional a dealer offers me. But the offer still stands, and I'm wondering if I should reconsider. A friend at work has a white car, and she told me I really should get a bra for the front, at the very least. Would love to hear what you all think. Thanks so much!!

The following 7 users liked this post by Bopper:
blueless (07-20-23), fitiam4me (08-20-24), Kodiak412 (07-20-23), lexnxkm (08-22-24), nx450plus (07-20-23), Tarnshoe (07-20-23), zanewyn (07-21-23) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-20-23 | 08:14 AM
Pandaroo
Driver

If you care about rock chips on your front, then yes get ppf and clear bra at least full front. This will set you back around $2k.

Otherwise stick to a ceramic coating or diy sealant that you apply every few months.

Options are endless really, depends how much money you want to spend or how much effort you want to put in if diy or what look you want to achieve.

Dealer coatings usually have a bad rap and are very expensive for what you get. I suggest you get some quotes from reputable detailer around you before you decide.
The following users liked this post:
Bopper (07-23-23)
Old 07-20-23 | 08:28 AM
oregonkat
Pit Crew

It's a beauty!
Bopper (07-23-23)
Old 07-20-23 | 09:36 AM
romer
Intermediate

Congrats on that car--It is indeed a beauty. I'd echo the other comments here. I'd definitely get the clear mask for the front (and mirrors) but would not get it at the dealer unless they will match the price you'd get at a private shop. I'd call around and price compare as well as survey customer satisfaction with the private shops. Once you have that settled--I'd also apply a ceramic 'wax' by hand. Do it twice a year and your car will bead up when it rains, it will wash easily, and keep a nice shine. There are lots of decent products on the market. Griot's, Adams, NexGen and many more you can choose from. They're easy on and easy off. Enjoy your new ride!!
The following 2 users liked this post by romer:
Bopper (07-23-23), LStoneX (07-20-23)
Old 07-20-23 | 09:42 AM
Randyp1234
Advanced

Originally Posted by Pandaroo
If you care about rock chips on your front, then yes get ppf and clear bra at least full front. This will set you back around $2k.
We almost did this then asked our body shop what it cost to get a hood repainted. Turns out for the $2000 it costs for front PPF we could get the hood repainted twice and still have money left over (hood repaint is $750).
Old 07-20-23 | 09:49 AM
romer
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Randyp1234
We almost did this then asked our body shop what it cost to get a hood repainted. Turns out for the $2000 it costs for front PPF we could get the hood repainted twice and still have money left over (hood repaint is $750).
I had the hood, front bumper, side mirrors, and ceramic tint on the front windows. Total cost--$1100.00 at a shop I've used for years. Top notch work. And if you want the car to look good and don't like scratches and rock chips, you'll be getting it painted more than twice for sure.
Bopper (07-23-23)
Old 07-20-23 | 10:04 AM
Kodiak412
Rookie

Congrats on the NX! I do not know what they offered you but I can tell you what seems to a "common" Lexus option. They will do a 3M PPF (Paint Protection Film) on the very front of the hood (leaves a seem in the middle of the hood), small sections on the front fenders and mirrors for $450. Except for the mirrors they only do the metal and not the plastic bumper. This is not a terrible price. In my experience it is the metal that takes the hits and the plastic bumpers are extremely forgiving. I just traded in a 2009 Tacoma and I am selling my 2010 Venza and both vehicles did not have any real noticeable damage to the front plastic bumpers. The hoods (metal) took an absolute beating but not the plastic bumpers. They actually looked quite good.

I got lucky and placed an "order" for a 2024 350h Luxury (Cad Orange or Nori Green) at the end of May with 4 large Lexus dealerships. All the dealerships said 6 to 8 months if at all. In June I got a call from one that on June 3 an almost perfect match for me was built in Japan and is being allocated to this particular dealership and since it matched what I wanted perfectly, I could get it. I jumped all over it and it arrived at the dealership On July 10th and I picked it up July 15th. I told my wife we may not even get one and I may have to wait until 2025 or when Lexus lets us place real orders again. I was shocked at the perfect timing.

With that said I am having a full hood PPF (Hexis) done for $550. I am not doing the fenders or bumper. Then I am also doing a full ceramic coat for the entire care. This is $1100 from a local guy who does detailing as a business (Feynlab). He has done great work and has a good rep in the community. He has been in business for a long time. Your costs may be different but this should give you a good idea about some outside costs.

Good luck with your little beauty!

Last edited by Kodiak412; 07-20-23 at 01:00 PM.
Bopper (07-23-23)
Old 07-20-23 | 10:27 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Have your exact color combo. IMO best looking vehicle. Also 40 mpg. On my sixth car with PPF on the front. Never had a problem with yellowing. Never had a chip in any of the front bumpers mirror headlights etc. Got our 23 NX350h done 6 months ago. Paid $1,400 including both front windows tinted. Applied PPF on headlights front bumpers and mirrors. These paints are so hard to touch up with the pearl flecks.
Bopper (07-23-23)
Old 07-20-23 | 02:44 PM
SeismicGuy
Pit Crew

Congrats on your purchase. We ended up with a Redline like the one parked next to yours but we were prepared to go with the white pearl. Didn't do any of the paint protection options but did choose the door edge protection film which I had on our last vehicle. The installion on the Lexus looks great. I am still kicking around getting the body side molding since by far the most likely damaage you will sustain are from idiots banging their doors into the car. We tend to either park on the street (if available) or if we are in a lot we go to the end spots or largest other spots and try to avoid parking next to huge vehicles.

Doug
The following 2 users liked this post by SeismicGuy:
Bopper (07-23-23), Doug007 (07-21-23)
Old 07-20-23 | 03:17 PM
Sounds
Advanced

I have never treated paint. Paints are better than ever. If your vehicle sits under a tree I’d consider a ceramic coating. That should cost around $700.
The following 2 users liked this post by Sounds:
Bopper (07-23-23), Doug007 (07-21-23)
Old 07-20-23 | 04:10 PM
FastFord
Racer

Congrats on the new car, looks beautiful.

Never get the dealer to do any kind of paint protection,,,NEVER! I know what they do and you can do the same for $25.00 and an hour labor.

PPF on the other hand is usually shipped out to a third party. You could get a good deal from Dealer, or pick your own shop and have it done.

I'm not sure what color is under the white paint, but if it's dark you will see that with the tiny chips we all get....

Recommend PPF, you choose where !

Enjoy and drive safe. Lots of things to look at with the new NX....don't get distracted!

Cheers!
The following 2 users liked this post by FastFord:
Bopper (07-23-23), Freds430 (07-20-23)
Old 07-20-23 | 04:19 PM
SgtLip
Advanced

NICE looking car for sure. You got what we prayed for. Would probably still be waiting. I got a call from one of the five dealers I was working with one day asking me if I wanted the ONLY 23 450H+ they will receive? I said yes and 7 April I picked it up after waiting over a year and a half. Wanted the White with Palomino but ended up with the Red interior. Don't hate it but wanted the Palomino.

Anyway, I had PPF installed on the Full Front (the complete front end, hood, bumpers and mirrors) at the local Xpel installer. It cost me $2,000. I added a complete vehicle Ceramic coating for an additional $800. The only reason why I had the car ceramic coated was I had already applied a ceramic coating to the complete car 2 days after owning. They told me the ceramic coating product I would use on the PPF would void the 10 year warranty. I wanted the PPF ceramic coated so I had them do the complete vehicle.

So to answer your question, it cost me $2,000 for the full front PPF. Let's say they offered the same full front and it would be 50% off. If it would cost you less than the $2,000 to have it done elsewhere, it could be a better deal. If more, then I would turn it down. If it was anything less, PPF coverage wise for a larger amount, I'd walk away.

I'm on my 6th Lexus. All 5 of the previous cars had chip easy paint on the front end. Ceraic coating, Wax, or Polish will not protect your paint from being chipped. The PPF will but it depends on the coverage. I wanted Full Car but that was more than I could afford today so i settled for the full front. Not sure if you saw it in the Owners Manual but the Clearcoat on the car is a Self Healing clear coat similar to what the Xpel PPF does. If you go to page 561 of the Owners Manual you'll find the snapshot that provides you with the info. Please note, it says Small Surface Scratches, NOT paint chips!

Good Luck. Car is BEAUTIFUL.
Bopper (07-23-23)
Old 07-20-23 | 06:35 PM
Lexus22563
Intermediate

I would put on an Xpel front film on the front. Just the front, no hood or mirrors cost me $700 by a private outfit.
Bopper (07-23-23)
Old 07-20-23 | 09:20 PM
Edison_Chen
Intermediate

I would also recommend Xpel Paint Protection Film on the front of the car like the bumper, hood, fenders and mirrors, if you have the budget for it.
Bopper (07-23-23)
Old 07-21-23 | 10:28 AM
zanewyn
Pit Crew

I don't have any PPF films on my NX. It's been 8 months and there are a number of small "chips" on the front bumper but nothing on the hood. Keep in mind the bumper is plastic so I don't really mind. If you want that area protected, best to wrap the front in PPF.
Bopper (07-23-23)

Quick Reply: I finally got my car, plus question about paint protection