Subwoofer

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-23, 02:08 PM
AtomicLexus
Pit Crew

Received 69 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexicon1
AtomicLexus,
thanks for the great advice on the front speaker replacement, the resistor added to center channel and the subwoofer amp addition. Regarding the stock subwoofer, is there any benefit to putting in some Dynamat behind the sub or anything else to modify to improve the stock sub performance?
Thanks
Glad the value sub/sat fix is helpful for others. As for Dynamat (or similar stuff you get from home stores for $10 a roll) does reduce resonances, but seeing as how there is box of stuff (you do keep stuff in the rear storage box, don't you?) just above the subwoofer, I really don't expect that much gain. Door speakers mounted to thin metal seem to have the most benefit. Plus it's a clear sign that you did mods, and once applied, the tar like substance is hard to remove without a lot of goo gone. I do find it little squares of it on the license plate back is often helpful if your plate rattles. Or adhesive backed insulation foam or rubber between the plate and bumper works too.

It still amazes me all the hype that car manufactures use to dupe the customer into thinking something is good that is not. Those horrible dash speakers, pioneer was bragging about in an old news release that this great "new" technology called CST (for us normal people, a plain old 2-way speaker) that they proudly claim is a step up from the old whizzer cone they had before. Big fail for Lexus and Pioneer. Here is a quote from the news release:

"The system features an 8-channel full-digital Class-D amplifier and 12 newly developed speakers, incorporating the unique sound technologies, and achieves playback that remains faithful to the original sound. The Coherent Source Transducer (CST) speaker, newly developed as an in-car speaker based on the TAD technology, strikes a high-level balance between the forward-facing sound localization and the rich propagation of a natural sound field, which reaches to the level of high-end audio systems. Owners can enjoy comfortable and superior quality of the vehicle interior space."

What a load of garbage. This would not be so bad if it actually sounded good, which it does not when a $30 dash replacement makes a world of improvement in clarity, accuracy and depth.

Last edited by AtomicLexus; 11-06-23 at 02:19 PM.
Old 11-06-23, 02:27 PM
AtomicLexus
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Droid13
connectors work for building a custom harness for tapping power from the rear of the 12V socket without messing with the factory wires.

Good find on the 12v connector. I looked and looked and found nothing. Now the entire change can be plug and play, completely removeable if need be! Hats off to you.

As for the plate amps (I usually use these for my always-on google sound systems around the house with ChromeCast Audio that they sadly discontinued), I have only had a fail on one of them. Same amp from Fosi, except they QC before boxing it with their name on it.
Old 11-06-23, 02:33 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,031 Likes on 2,546 Posts

Originally Posted by AtomicLexus
"The system features an 8-channel full-digital Class-D amplifier and 12 newly developed speakers, incorporating the unique sound technologies, and achieves playback that remains faithful to the original sound. The Coherent Source Transducer (CST) speaker, newly developed as an in-car speaker based on the TAD technology, strikes a high-level balance between the forward-facing sound localization and the rich propagation of a natural sound field, which reaches to the level of high-end audio systems. Owners can enjoy comfortable and superior quality of the vehicle interior space."

What a load of garbage. This would not be so bad if it actually sounded good, which it does not when a $30 dash replacement makes a world of improvement in clarity, accuracy and depth.
Science! Oh sorry marketing.

So I have about 30 hours on these speakers
Amazon Amazon
Amazon Amazon
Amp driving them
Amazon Amazon

Out of the box these speakers are bright to the point they hurt your ears. At the same time the amount of detail is great and luckily they have mellowed down to the point where I'm very happy with them. Still slightly bright but can be easily corrected via EQ. I've left EQ flat so far I think they will still mellow a bit more. Don't let the price fool you they are excellent speakers I prefer them to the Kicker 47KSC3504/Kicker 47KSC6504 pairing. Nothing at all wrong with the Kickers but the JBL's bring out a bit more nuance.

A word on reviews, they are all useless. Almost every single person loves their speakers a product has to be absolute garbage before the majority complain.
Old 11-06-23, 02:51 PM
AtomicLexus
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Out of the box these speakers are bright to the point they hurt your ears. At the same time the amount of detail is great and luckily they have mellowed down to the point where I'm very happy with them. Still slightly bright but can be easily corrected via EQ. I've left EQ flat so far I think they will still mellow a bit more. Don't let the price fool you they are excellent speakers I prefer them to the Kicker 47KSC3504/Kicker 47KSC6504 pairing. Nothing at all wrong with the Kickers but the JBL's bring out a bit more nuance.
My goto speaker is usually the JBL/Infinity too. I tried the kickers in an old Prius that I pulled out before selling the car. Thought I would make use of it. Tearing about the interior to add an amp is something I don't like doing without a service manual. I just started with the big-easy problems (dash and sub), and that was sufficient for me. High level of commitment to change the amp, but yes, it makes a noticeable difference. As for the brightness, that cheap low density 1/4" green cushion foam from joanns between the grill and speaker is an old school fix that just may solve the problem. I have done that for many home speakers too. Just a thought.
Old 11-07-23, 01:43 PM
Yandawg
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tbartman67,
First of all....Thank you so much for posting all of the photo's with perfect descriptions of what to do! It made life simple for me today. This ended up being the simplest sub /amp I have ever installed! I do have a couple of questions.
What settings do you find best on the amp? I know tastes vary but I would like to have a starting off point.

Did you end up bolting the sub down or is it just kind of wedged back there?

Thanks again for everything, it is greatly appreciated!
Old 11-07-23, 02:43 PM
AtomicLexus
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Yandawg
tbartman67,
First of all....Thank you so much for posting all of the photo's with perfect descriptions of what to do! It made life simple for me today. This ended up being the simplest sub /amp I have ever installed! I do have a couple of questions.
What settings do you find best on the amp? I know tastes vary but I would like to have a starting off point.

Did you end up bolting the sub down or is it just kind of wedged back there?

Thanks again for everything, it is greatly appreciated!
I posted photos in earlier post #71 with settings shown along with possible location.

Last edited by AtomicLexus; 11-07-23 at 06:18 PM.
Old 11-07-23, 05:16 PM
Yandawg
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks! I will check those out!
Old 11-12-23, 01:34 PM
Lexicon1
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

i don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but just asking these questions BEFORE i make the change to Add a Fosi Subwoofer am in the back of the NX350h (Hybrid).
I REALLY appreciated Atomic Lexus and other's efforts to come up w this inexpensive upgrade, but here are the questions
1) IF a Lexus Service person sees the amp in the back during a service inspection, will this qualify to affect my warranty since this is "Non Stock" ?
2) Since this is a confined space with NO air circulation, will the Fosi Amp produce excess heat?
3) If the Fosi Amp malfunctions and overheats can it cause a fire? What would be the safest Fuse size to make sure it blows a fuse first before any amp overheating or malfunction

Hey, I am just looking at the big picture before I pull the trigger on these upgrades on a new car
Thanks all
Old 11-12-23, 04:39 PM
AtomicLexus
Pit Crew

i don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but just asking these questions BEFORE i make the change to Add a Fosi Subwoofer am in the back of the NX350h (Hybrid).
I REALLY appreciated Atomic Lexus and other's efforts to come up w this inexpensive upgrade, but here are the questions
1) IF a Lexus Service person sees the amp in the back during a service inspection, will this qualify to affect my warranty since this is "Non Stock" ?
2) Since this is a confined space with NO air circulation, will the Fosi Amp produce excess heat?
3) If the Fosi Amp malfunctions and overheats can it cause a fire? What would be the safest Fuse size to make sure it blows a fuse first before any amp overheating or malfunction
First and foremost, never go beyond your own personal comfort level.

1) If the amp was to blow out the subwoofer, the subwoofer would likely not be covered under warranty. If your car transmission failed, the mods would have no effect unless they claim their was a direct connection between a modification you made and the failed item, and still you have an appeal process outlined in your warranty documentation if you disagree. I suggest if this concerns you, then do NO modifications to the car that are not genuine Toyota/Lexus parts performed by an authorized dealership. That in no way means the work will be done correct, for dealers tend to do more harm than most good mechanics. Watch what happens when the car is out of warranty and they go on a unnecessary parts changing binge at your expense because they are inept (or just crooks) at actually fixing the problem. The advantage to working with the dealer is it may give you a path to recourse when a failure occurs... maybe.
2) The amp uses very little power and produces very little heat. Not even warm to the touch. That is why class D amps are so efficient.
3) The 15amp fuse would blow if there is an error in wiring causing a short circuit. The amps draw is only a couple amps at most and only when driven hard. I have put watt meters on these amps and amazed that at idle less than 2 watts, and running hard maybe up to 10-20 watts. A 15amp circuit at 12v maxes out at 180watts (Amps x Volts = Watts)

Again, it sounds like this exceeds your comfort level, and it is reasonable not to make these changes to your car, and perhaps you don't have the experience to do so anyway. Car mods are not for everyone, and modifying anything has risk, as does driving and parking next to an inconsiderate jerk that puts a door ding in your new car. Sorry, I digress.

Anyway, enjoy your car and do what you feel is right for you. All the best.
Old 11-12-23, 04:59 PM
Lexicon1
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Atomic Lexus
Thanks for the response, I am pretty good w car stuff and have no issue w mods, I am just asking since I have not done car audio amp stuff , I am into home stereo though.
1) is this an "always on " amp or does it sit in standby mode while waiting for a signal?
2) how is the amp draw considering the hybrid 12 volt battery is half the CCA of most vehicles? And since there is no alternator to keep the 12v battery charged, is that an issue for this very small battery?
3) would a smaller fuse like 5 amp be acceptable to use to connect the amp to the 12v battery?
As mentioned above, I do appreciate your contribution to the cause.
Thanks
Old 11-12-23, 05:43 PM
AtomicLexus
Pit Crew

Atomic Lexus
Thanks for the response, I am pretty good w car stuff and have no issue w mods, I am just asking since I have not done car audio amp stuff , I am into home stereo though.
1) is this an "always on " amp or does it sit in standby mode while waiting for a signal?
2) how is the amp draw considering the hybrid 12 volt battery is half the CCA of most vehicles? And since there is no alternator to keep the 12v battery charged, is that an issue for this very small battery?
3) would a smaller fuse like 5 amp be acceptable to use to connect the amp to the 12v battery?
If you connect to the accessory outlet (cigarette socket), it is only on after the car is on. It is on all the time the car is on. No effect on the 12v battery or charging or anything with the hybrid system. In fact, if I had the hybrid, I would have just got a Taramps Bass 400 amplifier and not bothered with the Fosi. They are the best value high quality amp out there. Infinity makes a similar one at way more money. I believe it is the same class D amp inside too. The Taramps has Bass Boost, Crossover High/Low Pass, sub-filtering and even a speaker level input and auto on signal sensing. This amp (and others like it) may draw higher power and thus require a direct connection to the car 12v battery. Which is really easy with the hybrid 12v battery in back. The gas version has the battery in front and I did not want to run power wires forward. On Amazon right now for $72, unreal.
Amazon Amazon
All you would need is a set of connectors to interrupt the signal to the sub and the amp.

As for the Fosi amps, I suggest you play with these little amps for home use, and you will be a believer. Great for Amazon for it has an audio out (my Google Chromecast Audios are no longer sold). These amps have many varieties (some just the circuit board) and are really made for home use, but work well in cars. A stereo with sub, connected to your normal home speakers will amaze you how good they sound, and using almost no power. The Fosi even comes with the transformer, but most 19v 3a laptop transformers will power the higher claimed wattage units (like 50+50+100).

I would not connect the Fosi amp direct to battery, for then it would be always on and draining the battery, although very slowly. Only connect it to a fused accessory power outlet that goes on when the car is on.

Last edited by AtomicLexus; 11-12-23 at 06:24 PM.
Old 11-13-23, 12:10 PM
tdlnfm
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Maybe my problem is unique, but I noticed that the left dasboard speaker is very loud. First adjusted the balance by ear, 4 clicks to the right (1,5dB/clik) when heard the sound from centre sitting on rear middle seat, and then I measured it with pink noise. If the right speaker is 0 dB, then the center is -1 dB, and the left is +7 dB (which means more than 4x power!) I don't know if anyone else has experienced this, or is it just me who has the amplifier set up wrong? By the way, with this +7 dB from the passenger seat balance is perfect. At the same time I didn't notice considerable differences at front/rear door speakers (between 0,5dB).
Old 11-13-23, 12:25 PM
AtomicLexus
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by tdlnfm
Maybe my problem is unique, but I noticed that the left dasboard speaker is very loud. First adjusted the balance by ear, 4 clicks to the right (1,5dB/clik) when heard the sound from centre sitting on rear middle seat, and then I measured it with pink noise. If the right speaker is 0 dB, then the center is -1 dB, and the left is +7 dB (which means more than 4x power!) I don't know if anyone else has experienced this, or is it just me who has the amplifier set up wrong? By the way, with this +7 dB from the passenger seat balance is perfect. At the same time I didn't notice considerable differences at front/rear door speakers (between 0,5dB).
Mine sounds balanced normally. There is something awry with yours.
Was it working correctly after you put in the new speakers and then all of a sudden an issue?
Did you use the plug and play connectors?
Is it only noticeable with your pink noise source or all music?
With the HU balance in the center and if you used the plug in connectors, I would try the old speaker in its place to see if the quiet one has not failed. Also swap the 2 sides. While speakers seldom fail unless distortion is pushed into them from amp, it can happen. When you swap sides, it will become more obvious.
Good luck on your trouble shooting venture.
Old 11-13-23, 01:31 PM
tdlnfm
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by AtomicLexus
Mine sounds balanced normally. There is something awry with yours.
Was it working correctly after you put in the new speakers and then all of a sudden an issue?
Did you use the plug and play connectors?
Is it only noticeable with your pink noise source or all music?
With the HU balance in the center and if you used the plug in connectors, I would try the old speaker in its place to see if the quiet one has not failed. Also swap the 2 sides. While speakers seldom fail unless distortion is pushed into them from amp, it can happen. When you swap sides, it will become more obvious.
Good luck on your trouble shooting venture.
Thank you AtomicI have swapped the speakers: nothing happened, the problem with the signal.
Old 11-13-23, 03:53 PM
AtomicLexus
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by tdlnfm
Thank you AtomicI have swapped the speakers: nothing happened, the problem with the signal.
or the connection. I would try other sources and see if the rear speakers are having the same issue. See if the balance settings in the head unit changed and perhaps reboot the head unit.

Last edited by AtomicLexus; 11-14-23 at 09:10 AM.

Quick Reply: Subwoofer