NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

Subwoofer

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-24, 11:50 PM
Zlobix
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi all!I completed the music system upgrade on my NX 350 without Mark Levinson.I express my deep gratitude to the participants in the thread, who, with their experience and knowledge of car audio, encouraged me to make all the changes myself.I replaced the three speakers on the front panel with Kenwood 4 inches.I installed a single-channel amplifier in the trunk for the standard subwoofer, and took the power from the 12-volt socket in the trunk.I ordered all connectors from Aliexpress.Now the sound in the car is very good!

Old 04-08-24, 10:34 AM
niteshvu
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I own a 350h and the audio is really dull. This is probably the cleanest setup I've seen on the internet. Did you just have to swap out the wires with OE woofer and nothing else? I'm asking to check if I need to buy any other equipment/wiring kit?
Did the wires reach easily to the new sub or did you have to extend them?
Old 04-08-24, 12:31 PM
Droid13
Racer

Received 543 Likes on 380 Posts

Originally Posted by niteshvu
I own a 350h and the audio is really dull. This is probably the cleanest setup I've seen on the internet. Did you just have to swap out the wires with OE woofer and nothing else? I'm asking to check if I need to buy any other equipment/wiring kit?
Did the wires reach easily to the new sub or did you have to extend them?
I recall the subwoofer wires not being terribly long, but in any case it really depends on the amp you select and the type of inputs it has. I think its unlikely you'll find an amp that has the actual Toyota speaker connector as an input so unless you want to tap/cut or do something else to your OEM wiring, you'll likely want to buy a speaker connector harness so you can have one end connect to OEM connector and the other end mess with as you need to to work with your amp (early in this thread its mentioned one that has the right connector type) so you don't have to damage the existing wiring. Just unplug from the OEM subwoofer and plug that into the new connector and the other end you can configure for inputs that match your amp. Also, the existing speaker wire going to the subwoofer is a "speaker level input" (ie its already amplified). You'll want an amp that supports speaker level inputs so you can plug the existing signal wire directly. Many mid to upper cost amps will support this, but the basic inexpensive class D amps might not, so for those you should have a line converter to bring the amplified signal down to a preamp signal before going into the amp inputs. Going with an amp with speaker level inputs (or a stand alone subwoofer to completely replace the existing subwoofer) is certainly a much easier approach, but more costly likely.
Old 04-08-24, 02:36 PM
midcow3
Racer

Received 531 Likes on 347 Posts
Lightbulb Forgo the sub and get these speakers

Subwoofer is not really needed; it is a misnomer of the younger generations. Get this instead:
Amazon Amazon

by the way the NX 450h+ can now be ordered with ML for 2025

Good Luck and Good Sound

YMMV,
MidCow3

Old 04-08-24, 09:59 PM
Lexicon1
Advanced

Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts
Default That makes no sense

[QUOTE=midcow3;11703218]Subwoofer is not really needed; it is a misnomer of the younger generations.
Good Luck and Good Sound

YMMV,
@MidCow3 [/QUOTE I am sure I am older than most/many on this site. Some of us are into higher end audio. To broadly paint those younger than many of us serves no purpose and is not a flattering statement.
"It always makes me wonder what prerogative causes someone to be able to make such a statement.

To adequately reproduce music you need the full frequency range which includes information in the lower bass frequency range to appreciate what was intended by the artist. Desiring good music reproduction is not a misnomer of the young as you state. Some appreciate good music reproduction , some do not. A good sub adds to the music experience, even in home system reproduction.
as you say
YMMV
Old 04-08-24, 10:35 PM
midcow3
Racer

Lightbulb

[QUOTE=Lexicon1;11703472]
Originally Posted by midcow3
Subwoofer is not really needed; it is a misnomer of the younger generations.
Good Luck and Good Sound

YMMV,
@MidCow3 [/QUOTE I am sure I am older than most/many on this site. Some of us are into higher end audio. To broadly paint those younger than many of us serves no purpose and is not a flattering statement.
"It always makes me wonder what prerogative causes someone to be able to make such a statement.

To adequately reproduce music you need the full frequency range which includes information in the lower bass frequency range to appreciate what was intended by the artist. Desiring good music reproduction is not a misnomer of the young as you state. Some appreciate good music reproduction , some do not. A good sub adds to the music experience, even in home system reproduction.
as you say
YMMV
I am probably older than you and I am into high end audio. IMHO the subwoofer is way overrated even though I do have an SVS PB12-Plus Rosenut in my home system among other high end Definitive Technology Technology BP7002 Bipolar Super Towers and a C/L/R3000 Center Speakers and Marantz SR8002.

I like high end audio and that is why got ML on my Lexus NX 350h.

Just for your information to tag someone, you type in the "@" then begin typing their screen name and select from the pull down, You are not tagging people correctly.

Be open minded and have a good listening experience. Peace and Good Will

YMMV,
MidCow3

P,S. - You completely misunderstood my representation of subwoofer usage. I absolutely don't think a high gain large subwoofer whose main purpose is set is to send vibrations to the host car and all those close represents good sounding audio.

Last edited by midcow3; 04-08-24 at 10:45 PM.
Old 04-08-24, 10:38 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,825 Likes on 2,388 Posts

P,S. - You completely misunderstood my representation of subwoofer usage. I absolutely don't think a high gain large subwoofer whose main purpose is set is to send vibrations to the host car and all those close represents good sounding audio.
You are correct. Some people want heavy bass not bass that is musical and accurate. I'd say 90% of aftermarket subs are made to push high volume of air not be faithful to the source.
The following 2 users liked this post by LeX2K:
clmk (04-09-24), midcow3 (04-08-24)
Old 04-08-24, 11:34 PM
Lexicon1
Advanced

Smile

[QUOTE=midcow3;11703479]
Originally Posted by Lexicon1

I am probably older than you and I am into high end audio. IMHO the subwoofer is way overrated even though I do have an SVS PB12-Plus Rosenut in my home system among other high end Definitive Technology Technology BP7002 Bipolar Super Towers and a C/L/R3000 Center Speakers and Marantz SR8002.

I like high end audio and that is why got ML on my Lexus NX 350h.

Just for your information to tag someone, you type in the "@" then begin typing their screen name and select from the pull down, You are not tagging people correctly.

YMMV,
MidCow3

Well, Midcow
Not to be in a pissing contest, but I said High End audio. Definitive is home theatre speakers that can be purchased at a Crutchfield dealer. High end to many is boutique equipment in a different league. I wont be describing the equipment as I said, this is not a pissing contest.
The point of my post was to inform you its not necessary to critique others who want better audio or to improve their systems with a subwoofer.
You may want to re-read your post to see that point.
If you are that much older, perhaps your hearing isnt what it used to be...... (just a little humor there )

Old 04-09-24, 12:14 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,825 Likes on 2,388 Posts

You're talking about esoteric more than so called high end. It's all relative isn't it, I own Def Tech's maybe they are considered mid range? Most people I know might have a sound bar to go with your TV that's about it forget about a surround sound system with 7+ speakers, amps, subs and the like.
Old 04-09-24, 05:18 AM
midcow3
Racer

Angry Hearing Loss

[QUOTE=Lexicon1;11703488]
Well, Midcow
Not to be in a pissing contest, but I said High End audio. Definitive is home theatre speakers that can be purchased at a Crutchfield dealer. High end to many is boutique equipment in a different league. I wont be describing the equipment as I said, this is not a pissing contest.
The point of my post was to inform you its not necessary to critique others who want better audio or to improve their systems with a subwoofer.
You may want to re-read your post to see that point.
If you are that much older, perhaps your hearing isnt what it used to be...... (just a little humor there )

@Lexicon1 alas, my problem, I do have a hearing loss from time in the Army at Fr Sill with artillery going off during the Viet Nam era. But Resound 3D help out a lot.

Peace,
MidCow3

Old 04-09-24, 07:33 AM
sailonrob
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Yikes!

After reading this thread, I think I’m glad that the 2025 450h+ comes with the ML system.
Old 04-09-24, 07:34 AM
Lexicon1
Advanced

Default Its all relative

Originally Posted by LeX2K
You're talking about esoteric more than so called high end. It's all relative isn't it, I own Def Tech's maybe they are considered mid range?
Most people I know might have a sound bar to go with your TV that's about it forget about a surround sound system with 7+ speakers, amps, subs and the like.
Agree, its all relative. Def Techs are great for Home Theater . I've got friends who wont even go for a good sound bar .
As folks age, "in general" their hearing in the higher frequency range starts to deteriorate. The lower frequency range is typically not an issue with age and so a good and optimized subwoofer when integrated properly is a good addition to many/most systems.

Last edited by Lexicon1; 04-11-24 at 09:58 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 04-29-24, 02:38 PM
nyceis
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Center Dash Speaker

Hi all, thanks for this useful info. Have some questions on the center dash speaker:

- Is it the same size as the corners (3.5")?
- Can you use the same Metra adapters as the corners?
- Any reason besides the cost to not just go ahead and do the center?
Old 04-29-24, 02:41 PM
Lexus450MD
6th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Nyceis-

- Is it the same size as the corners (3.5")? - Yes
- Can you use the same Metra adapters as the corners?- Yes
- Any reason besides the cost to not just go ahead and do the center? No
Old 04-29-24, 02:45 PM
nyceis
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well that was easy, thank you very much. Feeling adventurous about this DIY project in my new Lexus...

Quick Reply: Subwoofer