NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

Subwoofer

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-23, 10:33 AM
AtomicLexus
Pit Crew

Received 62 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by GoLeafsGo
Here is one on Amazon that has 12AWG (could be a overkill)
Awesome, and with a fuse too! I really doubt it is 12ga though, but this should work great.
Old 08-21-23, 10:35 AM
AtomicLexus
Pit Crew

Old 08-21-23, 11:35 AM
tundotcom
Pit Crew

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by AtomicLexus
It should absolutely be fused if going to the battery. If going to the accessory outlet, there is already a fuse there, but another one would not hurt. 5-10amp should be fine.

FYI, from the low level convertor to the amp only needs 1 wire. Leave the other side unused. Use as short as possible (3 ft is good) and an old yellow RCA video cord from the VCR days is perfect if you have it. They are heavily shielded and larger gauge wire, although a standard RCA cord will work fine too.
So we would need something like this?

Old 08-21-23, 01:36 PM
AtomicLexus
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by tundotcom
So we would need something like this?
Yes, or good will for $1
Old 08-22-23, 05:44 AM
HowieB
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info and update.
Look forward to updating mine.
Old 08-22-23, 09:57 AM
GoLeafsGo
Rookie

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I opened my dash speaker grill and I can confirm that the 2023 NX 450h+ dash speakers need the Metra 72-8109 (not 72-7902) wiring adapters from Crutchfield.
The following users liked this post:
tundotcom (08-22-23)
Old 08-22-23, 10:30 AM
tundotcom
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by GoLeafsGo
I opened my dash speaker grill and I can confirm that the 2023 NX 450h+ dash speakers need the Metra 72-8109 (not 72-7902) wiring adapters from Crutchfield.
You should let Crutchfield know. Maybe they will refund you the cost of the 72-8109 cable.
Old 08-22-23, 10:47 AM
tbartman67
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I also needed to wait a few days for them to send me a second set of adapters (for free). If you call them, add a +1 for me and let them know that the 2024 NX350h also needs the same 72-8109 in the front
Old 08-22-23, 11:43 AM
SgtLip
Advanced

Received 208 Likes on 149 Posts

Received my order today from Crutchfield. I called and informed them the Metra 72-7902 does NOT fit my vehicle. I told her I tried to tell the lady when I placed the order of this but she said she had to provide them as that is what the Technical side said. So I ordered the Metra 72-8109 just in case. Glad I did.

Anyway, they are sending me the Metra 72-8109 today to replace the 72-7902 they sent.

Old 08-22-23, 12:18 PM
tbartman67
Driver

I got someone at Crutchfield tech support and told them to fix the database!
SgtLip (08-22-23)
Old 08-22-23, 04:45 PM
AtomicLexus
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by tbartman67
I got someone at Crutchfield tech support and told them to fix the database!
Perhaps Crutchfield has it right and Lexus puts in the wrong connector. LOL Yes, they are resistant to accepting that their engineer was wrong.

Anyways, after you replace the 2 dash speaker, the center channel is still awful. Center channel speaker disconnected completely sounds better. I tried one of the old side speakers in it's place and that was even worse. Those side dash speakers are horrid. I settled on adding a 2 ohm 5 watt resister in line to quiet it a bit. Now it adds a little without detracting. If you don't have a resister handy, just unplug it and you will notice an improvement. I have boxes of misc audio parts (resisters, inductors, caps, testing equipment, etc.) from lots of speaker builds so no biggie for me.

Others were asking for amp placement so I took a photo. I zip tied it to the subwoofer brace and put high density foam cushion on the bottom and side. I just taped the line level convertor in place in case I ever wanted to change settings. One day I intend on doing a distortion test to see the best settings, but for now, high noon works well for most music. I get a little overboard and jacket all wires with plastic conduit and cover with fabric electrical tape overwrap, like the factory does.

BTW, for those with non-hybrids, connecting to 12v power is a chore, even with the taps. If you can deal with the accessory plug sticking out a little, this will save you a lot of time. Just plug the power cord in and run the wires through the gas trap door opening on the side and down to the sub.
The following 2 users liked this post by AtomicLexus:
SgtLip (08-22-23), tundotcom (08-22-23)
Old 08-22-23, 04:57 PM
tbartman67
Driver

Perhaps Crutchfield has it right and Lexus puts in the wrong connector. LOL Yes, they are resistant to accepting that their engineer was wrong.

Anyways, after you replace the 2 dash speaker, the center channel is still awful. Center channel speaker disconnected completely sounds better. I tried one of the old side speakers in it's place and that was even worse. Those side dash speakers are horrid. I settled on adding a 2 ohm 5 watt resister in line to quiet it a bit. Now it adds a little without detracting. If you don't have a resister handy, just unplug it and you will notice an improvement. I have boxes of misc audio parts (resisters, inductors, caps, testing equipment, etc.) from lots of speaker builds so no biggie for me.

Others were asking for amp placement so I took a photo. I zip tied it to the subwoofer brace and put high density foam cushion on the bottom and side. I just taped the line level convertor in place in case I ever wanted to change settings. One day I intend on doing a distortion test to see the best settings, but for now, high noon works well for most music. I get a little overboard and jacket all wires with plastic conduit and cover with fabric electrical tape overwrap, like the factory does.

BTW, for those with non-hybrids, connecting to 12v power is a chore, even with the taps. If you can deal with the accessory plug sticking out a little, this will save you a lot of time. Just plug the power cord in and run the wires through the gas trap door opening on the side and down to the sub.
I was wondering about whether I should do the center speaker too, now that I've done the sub and corner dash speakers. About just unplugging it - it seems like when I'm on the speakerphone maybe I'm hearing the other person through there? I may have to test that to see. If so, I may decide to replace it with the same speakers I used in the corners, though I guess I'll have one extra speaker to hang onto if I do that.
tundotcom (08-22-23)
Old 08-22-23, 05:04 PM
tundotcom
Pit Crew

I was wondering about whether I should do the center speaker too, now that I've done the sub and corner dash speakers. About just unplugging it - it seems like when I'm on the speakerphone maybe I'm hearing the other person through there? I may have to test that to see. If so, I may decide to replace it with the same speakers I used in the corners, though I guess I'll have one extra speaker to hang onto if I do that.
Let us know how it turns out.

Edit: I see you bought the Kenwood's, so maybe I should stick to the same ones I bought.

Last edited by tundotcom; 08-22-23 at 05:22 PM.
Old 08-22-23, 06:51 PM
AtomicLexus
Pit Crew

About just unplugging it - it seems like when I'm on the speakerphone maybe I'm hearing the other person through there? I may have to test that to see.
I should have tested the phone when I had the center speaker unplugged. I wonder if a match to my side could improve on the digital sounding phone. Am I the only one, or is the voice quality of the phone bad? My old Prius Prime sounded great on the phone.

You didn't say if you liked the changes with the dash and sub fix.
Old 08-22-23, 09:13 PM
tbartman67
Driver

I should have tested the phone when I had the center speaker unplugged. I wonder if a match to my side could improve on the digital sounding phone. Am I the only one, or is the voice quality of the phone bad? My old Prius Prime sounded great on the phone.

You didn't say if you liked the changes with the dash and sub fix.
OMG I LOVE the change, especially with the sub. I don't have it set so my license plate rattles and the neighborhood gets woken like the kids would do, but it was a game changer. The corner speakers made a huge difference in the presence of the music too. I used the Kicker HS10 sub and Kenwood KFC-X3Cs for the corner dash. I am so happy I did these immediately (car has 1 month on it).
SgtLip (08-23-23)

Quick Reply: Subwoofer