NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

Can the Blind Spot Monitor issue audible signal?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-23 | 08:12 PM
Sounds
Advanced

Originally Posted by Droid13
I specifically bashed them in the survey for NOT having an audible warning. Strange how they offer a feature in the settings to set audio warning for exceeding speed and chose not to even offer an option to turn on/off tones for BSM.
Also...the yellow blind spot warning light in the mirrors should be larger.... A triangle or strobbing/flashing light
Old 07-31-23 | 08:15 PM
SdeGat
Driver

Originally Posted by romer
One thing is obvious. Some buyers need to do much more pre-buying research. If a car is lacking so much that a buyer sees as a deal breaker after purchase...caveat emptor. If Lexus is such a crappy manufacturer...so many others are out there.
I see your point @romer but I would never have thought about checking if BSW comes with a beep as my previous 3 vehicles with BSW had it. I thought it was the way it was for all BSWs. 💁‍♂️

Last edited by SdeGat; 07-31-23 at 08:34 PM.
Old 07-31-23 | 08:15 PM
AtomicLexus
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Sounds
Also...the yellow blind spot warning light in the mirrors should be larger.... A triangle or strobbing/flashing light
I figured it out! There is a audible tone on the BSM... it is the sound of metal on metal when you change lanes without seeing the car next to you.
The following 2 users liked this post by AtomicLexus:
SdeGat (07-31-23), Sounds (07-31-23)
Old 07-31-23 | 08:37 PM
SdeGat
Driver

Originally Posted by AtomicLexus
I figured it out! There is a audible tone on the BSM... it is the sound of metal on metal when you change lanes without seeing the car next to you.
😂
On that note though, a RAV4 nearly ran into me a week ago even if I could see his BSM (clearly not BSW) flashing in his left side mirror. 💁‍♂️🙁
Old 07-31-23 | 09:09 PM
Sounds
Advanced

GV70 has...
Red blinking/flashing light in the dash panel. A audible warning tone. Flashing/Blinking light in side mirrors. And something I learned at test drive... When the turn signal is on the side camera shows the lanes you want to change into.
The following users liked this post:
Kodiak412 (08-01-23)
Old 08-01-23 | 12:29 AM
Kodiak412
Rookie

Originally Posted by Sounds
GV70 has...
Red blinking/flashing light in the dash panel. A audible warning tone. Flashing/Blinking light in side mirrors. And something I learned at test drive... When the turn signal is on the side camera shows the lanes you want to change into.
My dad bought a new Hyundai Sante Fe and it does all those things too. Plus, it gives the BLIS (Blind Spot) info in the HUD. The technology is there and has been around for a little while too. Seeing that it is a safety feature and not just a luxury feature it should be expanded upon by all manufacturers.
Sounds (08-01-23)
Old 08-01-23 | 05:01 AM
Sounds
Advanced

Originally Posted by Kodiak412
Seeing that it is a safety feature and not just a luxury feature it should be expanded upon by all manufacturers.
Manufacturers are more concerned with no spare and one fob
Old 08-01-23 | 05:04 AM
lsft
Racer

I think that is why test driving before you buy is the most important thing. I agree that it could be a setting for someone to turn on and off. I would turn it off as it's annoying as hell to keep on beeping. The BSM is to assist my lane change and not to rely on for a lane change. I still check my blind spot before changing. It's obvious they can do it since the safety exit assist beeps and speaks when it doesn't let you exit. I guess it's a deal breaker depending on what type of driver you are.
romer (08-01-23)
Old 08-01-23 | 05:13 AM
Droid13
Racer

Originally Posted by lsft
it's annoying as hell to keep on beeping.
It shouldn't be like this on a proper setup. Should beep only when signaling AND detecting a car. This is the way my Subaru worked and for the 18 mths it was my primary driver I think I had the BSM beep at me maybe 2 or 3 times.
The following 2 users liked this post by Droid13:
Kodiak412 (08-01-23), Sounds (08-02-23)
Old 08-01-23 | 05:14 AM
01raja
Driver

Default Bsm

It should be audible and blink when you ignore the illuminated mirror and try to change lanes, signaling of course.

Last edited by 01raja; 08-01-23 at 05:24 AM.
Old 08-02-23 | 04:59 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

I think they added the audible warning to the 2023 RX.
Old 08-02-23 | 05:52 AM
lsft
Racer

Originally Posted by Droid13
It shouldn't be like this on a proper setup. Should beep only when signaling AND detecting a car. This is the way my Subaru worked and for the 18 mths it was my primary driver I think I had the BSM beep at me maybe 2 or 3 times.
Totally agree, but when driving downtown it will keep on beeping as people when you are in tight areas. Again, this should be all configurable in the world of personalization. But Lexus/Toyota is too conservative.
Old 08-02-23 | 08:38 AM
timothytsa
Driver School Candidate

I previously owned a RAV4 Prime, and some folks on that online forum complained about being annoyed by false positives, i.e., getting beeped when there was nothing in the blind spot. They preferred the flashing light instead of a beep. Of course, I thought that was a nonsensical way of design. Why include a flaky design and mitigate the flakiness of that design by making it easy for the driver to ignore the warning? That's bad engineering. Either the design should be robust and trustworthy, or it should be omitted entirely.

The problem with the blinking light is that it's far too easy to ignore, especially since the light already gets lit whenever a car passes on the side. If the engineers wanted to avoid the beep, they should have at least made the visual warning easy to see, especially for a driver that is executing a lane change and not staring at the side mirror. For example, the entire perimeter of the mirror could flash rapidly, especially with a markedly different color than the small amber light that is too easy to ignore.
Old 08-02-23 | 02:05 PM
Dkaplan
Intermediate

Maybe Toyota/Lexus want drivers to look carefully before changing lanes. Sounds and buzzers could give a misplaced sense of security. Also, as lsft mentioned, it could be very distracting.
AtomicLexus (08-04-23)
Old 08-03-23 | 05:24 AM
Droid13
Racer

Originally Posted by Dkaplan
Maybe Toyota/Lexus want drivers to look carefully before changing lanes. Sounds and buzzers could give a misplaced sense of security. Also, as lsft mentioned, it could be very distracting.
But every single other safety feature is accompanied by additional non-visual feedback. The NX LSS 3.0 is like an orchestra except for this single feature.

Quick Reply: Can the Blind Spot Monitor issue audible signal?