NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

NX 450h+ Canadian vs US Pricing

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-23, 03:29 PM
entrancedlow123
9th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default NX 450h+ Canadian vs US Pricing

First time posting, didn't find any results for this in the search function.

I was researching the NX 450h+ and noticed the pricing to be really different between the US and Canada. Base model with a very similar feature set (US has more color options and 6.6kW charger is optional) comes to 60k USD. The base model in Canada is only 64.5k CAD or 59.5k CAD with the 5k federal incentive. A direct conversion of 60k USD is 79k CAD. I believe the 450h+ is a global model made in Japan so why such a large price difference? I noticed this because a lot of reviews of the 450h+ mentions how it's more expensive than base model PHEV from other luxury automakers, but when I check on Canadian sites, the 450h+ is often 10k+ cheaper. Am I missing something?

Last edited by entrancedlow123; 07-25-23 at 03:31 PM. Reason: Updated CAN pricing to exclude tax.
Old 07-25-23, 04:21 PM
nx450plus
Pit Crew

Received 99 Likes on 62 Posts

The Canadian version especially the base is exceptional value.
Old 07-25-23, 04:48 PM
Thuwaragan
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

The Canada and US base models aren't apples to apples. I'm staring at both configurations on my two monitors (both 2024 models) and just glancing at it:
1) US has Power Rear Door with Kick Sensor as standard - optional in Canada
2) US has 20 inch weeks as standard - optional in Canada (18 inch standard) - I kind of wish we could get 18s here - probably a better ride and cheaper to replace
3) Canada comes with Windshield Wiper De-icer - not even available in US (sad face)

Also, not specific to this, but you guys get the matrix led style high beams that we don't (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...eadlights.html). Really making me want to sell my nx450h+ and buy one in canada.
Not sure why Lexus goes through the trouble of making the markets different...
Old 07-25-23, 06:17 PM
entrancedlow123
9th Gear

Originally Posted by Thuwaragan
The Canada and US base models aren't apples to apples. I'm staring at both configurations on my two monitors (both 2024 models) and just glancing at it:
1) US has Power Rear Door with Kick Sensor as standard - optional in Canada
2) US has 20 inch weeks as standard - optional in Canada (18 inch standard) - I kind of wish we could get 18s here - probably a better ride and cheaper to replace
3) Canada comes with Windshield Wiper De-icer - not even available in US (sad face)

Also, not specific to this, but you guys get the matrix led style high beams that we don't (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...eadlights.html). Really making me want to sell my nx450h+ and buy one in canada.
Not sure why Lexus goes through the trouble of making the markets different...
The Canadian one has power rear door as standard, just the kick sensor is extra. The base model just seems so oddly priced (in a good way), and the F Sport or Executive Packages are 16k extra, which brings it more in line with US Pricing. I'm curious if they're pricing the base model to meet the EV incentive while making quantities very limited and then trying to push the F Sport/Executive trims with better availability. I know waits in Canada are basically 1 year or more at this point, not sure about the US though.
Old 07-26-23, 06:54 AM
drox
Driver

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Not sure about others but when I bought my NX450h+ in Canada, I had no options for factory upgrades. I was interested in HUD, and the Digital Rearview mirror and maybe some others. I was told the only way I could get those was by going up to FSport/Executive (not sure if this was an upsell attempt). So maybe they are keeping costs down by just making the same base model? I'm curious to hear about others' experiences.

While I think it's unfair for you to consider the Canadian Government incentive in your price comparisons. I'm curious about the rest of the price difference too.
Old 07-26-23, 06:58 AM
Thuwaragan
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

There's definitely some features in the US that come standard that I can do without, but like you said, a fully loaded 450h comes out about the same price on both sides of the border. However a couple of things I wish we got in the states are the matrix headlights and the 17 speaker ML system. I can't believe both of those still aren't options in the US.

I think the wait times are probably about the same. I was told it was a bit over a year wait time when I was shopping so I instead put my name on the 350h list ("only" 6 month wait for those). But I got lucked out when the dealer called that there was a 450h available in the interior/exterior colors I wanted that they had allocated for someone who no longer wanted it.
Old 07-26-23, 08:50 AM
entrancedlow123
9th Gear

Originally Posted by drox
Not sure about others but when I bought my NX450h+ in Canada, I had no options for factory upgrades. I was interested in HUD, and the Digital Rearview mirror and maybe some others. I was told the only way I could get those was by going up to FSport/Executive (not sure if this was an upsell attempt). So maybe they are keeping costs down by just making the same base model? I'm curious to hear about others' experiences.

While I think it's unfair for you to consider the Canadian Government incentive in your price comparisons. I'm curious about the rest of the price difference too.
Talked to a dealer a few days ago, and got the same message. No options for individual upgrades, only through the packages. Personally, I find the base luxury model to have all the important things (heated/cool seats, 6.6 kW charger, DRCC, power rear door, larger touch screen, all of the useful TSS features). Would've liked the ML speakers, 360 camera, and wireless charger, but not worth 16k for me. Even without the incentive, the base model is about 15k cheaper than the US - 60k USD (79k CAD) vs 64k CAD. I was afraid to hear some major omission in the Canadian one I hadn't considered but it sounds like it is just priced very competitively north of the border.

I wonder if it has to do with the battery. The US 350 and 350h are priced basically the same, whereas in Canada, the 350h is about 5k (CAD) cheaper. In the US, the 450h+ is 15k (USD) more, whereas the Canadian model is only 5k more than the 350 and 10k more than the 350h.
Old 07-27-23, 05:57 AM
jri
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the base model in Canada is intentionally priced below $60K so that the whole NX450 range qualifies for the Government Incentive. Agree, it is a great bargain (and the same prices as a RAV4 Prime with Tech Package). The jump to Executive and F-Sport is huge ($16K) and hard to justify based on the extras (in my opinion!).

JR
Old 07-27-23, 08:17 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 577 Likes on 408 Posts

In order for a vehicle to qualify for the government of Canada incentive the base trim MUST be less than $60,000 CAD and higher trims up to $70,000 are eligible.
Old 07-27-23, 08:07 PM
entrancedlow123
9th Gear

While I get trying to hit the incentives, they clearly have way more orders than they have cars. Until they make more cars, making it below the incentive is not a great pricing strategy for maximizing profit.