NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

Tag tracking - Mandatory in Ontario?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-23, 09:55 AM
Droid13
Racer

Received 573 Likes on 404 Posts
Default Tag tracking - Mandatory in Ontario?

I've recently seen a few articles and some social media posts that insurance companies in Ontario are starting to make "Tag" wireless tracking mandatory for coverage of vehicles with higher theft demand. Just wondering if anyone has been contacted by your insurance to require this be installed? I happen to be in touch with my provider for other reasons and asked but they told me currently they are not doing this, but wondering if this is becoming a big thing or not for a lot of other companies. I'm also trying to figure out if these are actually much good. The limited info I've found just says they put RFID devices around various parts of the car, but RFID is usually pretty short range technology. I think for the vast majority of higher end car thefts in the Toronto area, most of them end up in a shipping container bound for port of Montreal to be shipped to Africa or Eastern Europe. Not sure what good an RFID chip will be once they are in the shipping container. Now I've heard of a few trucks carrying stolen vehicles being pulled over on the way to Montreal because those stolen cars had sophisticated GPS trackers, but this solution doesn't appear to be at that level. Hmmm...
The following users liked this post:
Yoosi (09-27-23)
Old 08-02-23, 10:05 AM
JasDmw
Advanced

Received 238 Likes on 165 Posts

I saw an article from an owner of a Tacoma who indicated TD Insurance wouldn't cover him if he didn't get the tracker. Apparently they will pay for it, some $399.00.

I'm on the fence, I don't want anyone tracking me anywhere. But something must be done to stop rampant theft. Apparently this was trialled in Quebec and it worked well enough that the thieves moved to Ontario. . Our RX was stolen last December and we're still traumatized. We have a club like bar and did have an immobilizer, but had that removed when it proved unreliable. We constantly think about where we park and Wife is concerned about it getting stolen. I still think the manufacturers must get together and do something to address this in a serious way. If our NX is stolen, we'll be done with Lexus and likely Toyota as well.
Old 08-02-23, 11:30 AM
Droid13
Racer

Originally Posted by JasDmw
I trialled in Quebec and it worked well enough that the thieves moved to Ontario.
Yea, I heard this as well, but I don't know why. Is this system really that effective and thieves were routinely getting caught or did it just have something else that scared thieves away. I remember you talking about your immobilizer and I was considering it but then you followed up later that it didn't work well for you so I'm still adrift not sure what I want to do. Mine is a garage queen so not too worried overnight, but out and about I still am concerned especially for overnight trips.
Old 08-02-23, 12:34 PM
JasDmw
Advanced

Received 238 Likes on 165 Posts

We're off on another European trip later this month. Parking @ Park'N Fly again, but this time in their valet lot. Just spoke with them today and they have enhanced their security somewhat. Will program teh car for valet mode, to stop them driving like maniacs. However, serious thieves would likely know how to bypass that as well. So we're rolling the dice.

Ours too is a garage queen, but then we were in Montreal 2 weeks ago and made sure we had the steering wheel lock in place. Use it whenever we are in sketchy areas.

I think the trackers deter thieves as the cars are tracked and recovered. When mine was stolen they parked it at an inconspicuous lot for a couple of days to see if it was hot or not. So I presume they'll do that and if it has a tracker, it can be recovered.
Old 08-02-23, 12:54 PM
Droid13
Racer

I usually use Viscount station garage parking, easy to get to and just hop onto the airport tram that runs every 5 minutes, no waiting for shuttles or traffic to deal with. I especially like this for coming back, just hop on the tram right at the airport and in my car on the road 10 min later. But I'm not sure how secure this garage is, other than requiring a valid paid barcode to exit (assuming the gate keepers there are honest). My baby will be in NYC for a couple weeks later this year, but I'm actually contemplating just renting a car instead so I don't have to care while there.
Old 08-03-23, 06:03 AM
bt10
Pit Crew

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

How do you program for valet mode?
The following users liked this post:
Billst (08-03-23)