NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

9" inch screen vs 14" screen

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-23, 10:16 AM
Geopoz
Intermediate

Received 81 Likes on 62 Posts
Default 9" inch screen vs 14" screen

How many NX owners with a 9" screen wish they got a 14" screen. Why would you want one or why doesn't it matter. Pro's and con's. Have to make a decision thank you all.
Old 08-25-23, 10:35 AM
Randyp1234
Advanced

Received 238 Likes on 172 Posts

We are the extreme minority in that we keep ours turned off, so it doesn't meater if we have the smaller screen.
Old 08-25-23, 10:53 AM
Droid13
Racer

Received 580 Likes on 409 Posts

A majority of the functionality will be the same. These are the main differences I can think of which are mostly cosmetic:
  • The HVAC temp control buttons are actually built into the 14 screen, so the temp display setting it shown inside the *****. Functionally, no different, but definitely much higher on the bling factor compared with the 9 which has conventional *****. Call me superficial but after seeing the cool ***** on the 14, no way I was going to get a 9
  • The panoramic (aka bird's eye) view coupled with front or rear camera view I think is a better experience on the 14. When looking at multiple cam views simultaneously, the more screen the better I say.
  • The built in Nav (which I think on the 9, you might not even get the free trial?) is going to be slightly more pleasing visually, but functionally probably not much difference.
  • On AA and Carplay which can do split screens for displaying/working with more than 1 app at a time, again, like the panoramic view having more screen real estate to handle the split views makes for somewhat nicer experience.
  • The only real downside of the 14 (other than Lexus kind of wasting the full potential of this big, nice screen), is that pressing icons on the right most part of the screen is slightly harder given its farther away and you might need a steady reach with your arm.
The following 2 users liked this post by Droid13:
Billst (08-25-23), jatwell (08-25-23)
Old 08-25-23, 11:41 AM
bt10
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

I have the 9". It is fine for nav and Apple Carplay. I don't feel like I missed out on anything? I wouldn't spend money to get the 14" either.
The following 2 users liked this post by bt10:
Doug007 (08-26-23), js75 (09-08-23)
Old 08-25-23, 12:10 PM
Sounds
Advanced

Received 173 Likes on 147 Posts

We have the 14. My stage of life bigger is better but we have cars with smaller screens... driver adjusts to whatever they have. No screen/size is perfect. Test drive a small screen and get a feel. Let your wallet do the talking. Have a budget and get the best you can.
A 9" screen is not a small screen

Last edited by Sounds; 08-25-23 at 12:34 PM.
The following users liked this post:
blueless (08-25-23)
Old 08-25-23, 12:21 PM
Randyp1234
Advanced

Originally Posted by Droid13
A majority of the functionality will be the same. These are the main differences I can think of which are mostly cosmetic:
  • The HVAC temp control buttons are actually built into the 14 screen, so the temp display setting it shown inside the *****. Functionally, no different, but definitely much higher on the bling factor compared with the 9 which has conventional *****. Call me superficial but after seeing the cool ***** on the 14, no way I was going to get a 9
  • The panoramic (aka bird's eye) view coupled with front or rear camera view I think is a better experience on the 14. When looking at multiple cam views simultaneously, the more screen the better I say.
  • The built in Nav (which I think on the 9, you might not even get the free trial?) is going to be slightly more pleasing visually, but functionally probably not much difference.
  • On AA and Carplay which can do split screens for displaying/working with more than 1 app at a time, again, like the panoramic view having more screen real estate to handle the split views makes for somewhat nicer experience.
  • The only real downside of the 14 (other than Lexus kind of wasting the full potential of this big, nice screen), is that pressing icons on the right most part of the screen is slightly harder given its farther away and you might need a steady reach with your arm.
Andy - You are correct that the 9" screen doesn't come with the free nav subscription.

I know this is a "To each, their own" thing but if the larger screen has virtual control ***** for the HVAC this that's a good reason "not" to get it. For something like that physical ***** are easier to adjust than trying to use your fingers on a touch screen when the car is moving and your arm is bouncing around and the temperature setting is still displayed inside the **** on the smaller screen.
The following 2 users liked this post by Randyp1234:
Billst (08-25-23), Sounds (08-25-23)
Old 08-25-23, 12:40 PM
Geopoz
Intermediate

I want to thank everyone for there response. This makes it easier. now if I could just get over that the fsport doesn't come with a seat memory without luxury trim.

Last edited by Geopoz; 08-25-23 at 01:32 PM.
Old 08-25-23, 01:30 PM
Droid13
Racer

Received 580 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by Randyp1234
Andy - You are correct that the 9" screen doesn't come with the free nav subscription.

I know this is a "To each, their own" thing but if the larger screen has virtual control ***** for the HVAC this that's a good reason "not" to get it. For something like that physical ***** are easier to adjust than trying to use your fingers on a touch screen when the car is moving and your arm is bouncing around and the temperature setting is still displayed inside the **** on the smaller screen.
The ***** are still physical rotating *****. They are just donut shaped so you can see all the delicious filling.
corinvest (08-25-23)
Old 08-25-23, 03:20 PM
Sounds
Advanced

Originally Posted by Geopoz
I want to thank everyone for there response. This makes it easier. now if I could just get over that the fsport doesn't come with a seat memory without luxury trim.
Are Vented seats important??
Old 08-25-23, 03:24 PM
Sounds
Advanced

Originally Posted by Randyp1234

Luxury 14"... Hey Lexus "set temp to 68". Hey Lexus "raise fan speed". 100% hands free. I'm a big fan of *****...do not like touchscreens while driving. But the verbal command system is pretty good.
Old 08-25-23, 03:34 PM
Geopoz
Intermediate

These functions are all important to someone. My last point is when your spending $50,000 plus, you would expect certain thing to be included. Some of these options don't cost alot but they want you to spend more money to just get something you want. I guess they all do it. Seat memory $50,000 come on!
Randyp1234 (08-25-23)
Old 08-25-23, 05:18 PM
Sounds
Advanced

Originally Posted by Geopoz
. Seat memory $50,000 come on!
or a spare …that is a disgrace and dangerous.
Old 08-25-23, 05:52 PM
jatwell
Pit Crew

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

As mentioned, no nav trials on the 9”. 3 year trials of nav and remote connect with the 14”. I believe the safety connect is now free for the life of 4G connectivity.
Old 08-25-23, 06:06 PM
Randyp1234
Advanced

Originally Posted by jatwell
As mentioned, no nav trials on the 9”. 3 year trials of nav and remote connect with the 14”. I believe the safety connect is now free for the life of 4G connectivity.
You get all of the other trials with the 9", just not nav. At least you did when we got our '22.
Old 08-25-23, 06:08 PM
Randyp1234
Advanced

Originally Posted by Sounds
Luxury 14"... Hey Lexus "set temp to 68". Hey Lexus "raise fan speed". 100% hands free. I'm a big fan of *****...do not like touchscreens while driving. But the verbal command system is pretty good.
How about "Hey Lexus, start doing Bluetooth call properly so the caller doesn't hear themselves when they talk to me"?

Quick Reply: 9" inch screen vs 14" screen