NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

NX450H+ Wobbly Ride

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-23, 11:07 AM
itsadavy
Driver

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts
Default NX450H+ Wobbly Ride

Having read many reviews on the new NX, reviewers say that the ride is smooth and comfortable. However, my 2022 NX450H+ wobbles me quite a bit when going over speed bumps or entering into a sloped driveway really slowly. The wobble basically rocks my entire body from left to right quite drastically.... My NX450H+ has the executive package, so it doesn't have the adaptive variable suspension (AVS), but I heard the AVS is only really noticeable when turning at moderate speeds from my service technician. Tires are inflated to the right PSI as well~

Just wondering if anyone is experciencing this issue or could this just be the nature of PHEV vehicles with this kind of suspension set up.

Old 08-31-23, 12:16 PM
nx450plus
Pit Crew

Received 99 Likes on 62 Posts

Have not experienced this type of wobble over 18 months of ownership
Old 08-31-23, 07:16 PM
clmk
Driver

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts

I have AVS. I get this a bit too going through spoon drains that are angled. With AVS it goes away in sport mode.
Old 08-31-23, 10:06 PM
Tarnshoe
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I know exactly what you mean. The suspension is too soft/ springy right? If I go over a speed bump at an angle, the car will make me wobble side to side in my seat. More so than other cars imo. It’s weird that out of all the reviews I’ve watched, only one reviewer has mentioned this
The following users liked this post:
Billst (10-10-23)
Old 08-31-23, 11:18 PM
CdO
Pit Crew

Received 60 Likes on 33 Posts

I just figure it is a side effect of the suspension geometry. While the big bumps at low speed are jarring, I am more bothered by bumps at high speed.

It seems when you hit a bump and the wheel is quickly propelled upward, the sudden change in camber (or toe/thrust angle??? or whatever is going on) nudges the car sideways unsettling the ride for a moment (wobbling). (F-Sport on normal setting.)
The following users liked this post:
Billst (10-10-23)
Old 09-01-23, 08:42 AM
Nightlight
Driver

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

You've explained what I've been experiencing with my NX. I thought it was a result of my car wash incident, but after taking it for a second opinion who kept it for a while to look it over and compare against other NXes, it seems to be a function of the suspension. It's not as noticeable and smoother since I got my NX back, but having had a 2023 NX loaner that didn't have the same side-to-side movement, I guess they all weren't built the same.
Old 09-01-23, 10:51 AM
Tarnshoe
Driver School Candidate

Was the loaner a f sport with AVS? I wonder if the f sport suspension makes a huge difference
Old 09-01-23, 02:54 PM
Nightlight
Driver

Originally Posted by Tarnshoe
Was the loaner a f sport with AVS? I wonder if the f sport suspension makes a huge difference
No, it was a regular Premium 350 with 18" wheels. Mine has 20" wheels.
Old 09-01-23, 07:01 PM
itsadavy
Driver

Originally Posted by Tarnshoe
I know exactly what you mean. The suspension is too soft/ springy right? If I go over a speed bump at an angle, the car will make me wobble side to side in my seat. More so than other cars imo. It’s weird that out of all the reviews I’ve watched, only one reviewer has mentioned this
Yea the wobble is quite unpleasant for this price point 😬
The following 2 users liked this post by itsadavy:
Billst (10-10-23), Tarnshoe (09-01-23)
Old 09-01-23, 07:03 PM
itsadavy
Driver

Originally Posted by Nightlight
You've explained what I've been experiencing with my NX. I thought it was a result of my car wash incident, but after taking it for a second opinion who kept it for a while to look it over and compare against other NXes, it seems to be a function of the suspension. It's not as noticeable and smoother since I got my NX back, but having had a 2023 NX loaner that didn't have the same side-to-side movement, I guess they all weren't built the same.
Oh did anything get changed for your NX that you got back?
Old 09-01-23, 09:35 PM
Tarnshoe
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Nightlight
No, it was a regular Premium 350 with 18" wheels. Mine has 20" wheels.
I have a luxury 350h with 20in wheels. I wonder if the wheel size adds to the wobble. I don’t think it should.

Did they really screw up the suspension for certain cars or is this wobble tolerable for most people and we’re just the few who don’t like it?
Old 09-02-23, 01:01 AM
CdO
Pit Crew

Received 60 Likes on 33 Posts

I'm quite sure the wheel size makes a difference. The 20s won't absorb bumps as well; and, would have a higher frequency wobble. I'd really like to switch to 18s when these wear out.

(I have F; OP does not... same complaints.)
The following 2 users liked this post by CdO:
Billst (10-10-23), Tarnshoe (09-03-23)
Old 09-03-23, 01:58 PM
itsadavy
Driver

@tundotcom , just wondering if you had this problem before you installed the trd-door stabilizers and did the stabilizers fix some of the problem o:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...abilizers.html
Old 09-05-23, 07:33 PM
Nightlight
Driver

The tires absorb bumps very well. Never experienced a harsh ride. It’s the suspension and how it’s tuned. I can roll over a bump and there’s no wobble whatsoever. I can glide on a smooth stretch on the expressway and randomly experience wobble. I’m trying to pinpoint a pattern, but it seems this is how this NX was built. I’ve been in smooth riding SUVs so it’s not a car vs SUV thing either.

Ride quality is important to me so I guess I’ll have to decide next steps from here.
Old 09-24-23, 04:12 PM
Nightlight
Driver

Originally Posted by itsadavy
Oh did anything get changed for your NX that you got back?
Mine still has the same wobble - nothing was changed on my NX. They basically kept it for a few days and then told me they couldn't find anything wrong with it. It seemed better initially, but it's now back to the same as it was when I first took it in. I don't have time to run from dealer to dealer on this. I chose Lexus because of all of the reports praising reliability and longevity not because it was what I really wanted - which is lesson for me as well.

Hope your issue is going better.

Quick Reply: NX450H+ Wobbly Ride