Apple Carplay

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-23, 09:17 AM
Stedman
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Apple Carplay

2024 350H
How has been your apple phone as it relates to your infotainment system. Connecting etc. If you are having issues please state the IPhone you have. The 12XR is giving me connection fits. Due for a phone upgrade… Dealer said its Apple. Get an android phone.
The following users liked this post:
jmkkalo1 (01-19-24)
Old 09-17-23, 09:28 AM
Malky
Driver

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

2024 350H
I have an iphone 13pro. It doesn’t connect 1 out of 20ish starts which I can live with. All it takes is a simple infotainment rest then it connects.
Old 09-17-23, 11:09 AM
Dkaplan
Intermediate

Received 131 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Stedman
2024 350H
How has been your apple phone as it relates to your infotainment system. Connecting etc. If you are having issues please state the IPhone you have. The 12XR is giving me connection fits. Due for a phone upgrade… Dealer said its Apple. Get an android phone.
14 pro max, always works!
Old 09-17-23, 06:15 PM
Kenasch
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

2024 350H
What are your exact issues? I have an Iphone XR and it connects ok but as I have reported on another thread, I repeatedly get a PIN popup request. BTW, I don't think there is an Iphone model 12xr, probably you meant just XR? My dealer had the car for a few days and reset everything but it is still happening. They gave me a loaner car for a few days and I did not have any PIN requests so I do not think it is my phone model. I did upload my profile to the loaner car. I also thought it might be a problem with the Lexus app so I turned off "Background App Refresh" in the settings. I just got another PIN popup request today so now I am going to delete the app completely and see if there is any change. The App is nice to have but I can live without it. I do want to be able to use Carplay, particularly the map function, without having to reset the infotainment screen so often.
Stedman (09-17-23)
Old 09-17-23, 08:14 PM
Stedman
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Doesn’t connect on an everyday basis. Some days it does fine.
Dkaplan (09-18-23)
Old 09-18-23, 11:24 AM
LexusRM
8th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

14 Pro Max, no issues connecting. Occasional, PIN prompts but no connectivity issues to report.
Dkaplan (09-18-23)
Old 09-18-23, 02:41 PM
Dkaplan
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LexusRM
14 Pro Max, no issues connecting. Occasional, PIN prompts but no connectivity issues to report.
I have the 14 Pro Max too. I find that if I wait for CarPlay to fully load before doing anything (e.g., putting the car in Drive or putting the phone on the charger) that I do not get prompted for the pin.
Old 09-19-23, 05:51 AM
Driver School Candidate

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

I've had an issue come up over the past few weeks that I can't figure out: Normally I have no problems with Car Play. Suddenly, though, Car Play started skipping in and out and then totally crashing. The center display even crashes and reboots sometimes. But only in a very specific 1-mile radius in the small town where I live. There's nothing new or industrial near by - in fact, it's in the very center of town where the crash occurs. Sometimes I'll get a Lexus notification on the screen saying "Certificate Error." Thoughts? I'm familiar with certificate errors for websites, but I'm not finding anything helpful in a Google search.
Old 09-19-23, 07:45 AM
Dkaplan
Intermediate

An option might be to completely disconnect CarPlay and then reinstall?
Old 09-19-23, 08:38 AM
KLOCQ
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

2024 350H
I don't think this issue is related to a particular iPhone.
I can also say that Apple CarPlay works fine (with a variety of iPhones that we have in the family). At least in my BMW it works as expected. This is definitely an issue with Lexus (firmware) and they need to fix it and update our cars.
In my case, although I've had the non-connection issues when I'm by myself in the car, I find that it happens a lot more often when both myself and wifey are together, with both our iPhones and keys in the car. And when it happens, there is no way to reconnect, other than parking the car, completely turning it off, wait a few seconds, then turning it on again. It then connects.

This is just ridiculous from Lexus part. I find their software is very buggy and quirky. For example, you can't recall a seat position while driving. Have to pull over, push park, just to change seat position. WTF. No, it's not a safety issue, as other manufacturers will allow this at will. It's just Lexus quirk.
Old 09-19-23, 09:00 PM
Tarnshoe
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

iPhone 12 Pro Max. I used to have trouble connecting to CarPlay during startup until someone on this forum taught me to let the infotainment screen fully start up before putting the car in drive. Now it connects every time.

Music on Spotify occasionally skips a second
The following 4 users liked this post by Tarnshoe:
AmyInTX (01-27-24), Dkaplan (09-20-23), mplsrube (01-22-24), Stedman (09-20-23)
Old 09-21-23, 12:00 PM
kck88
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

2023 450h+, Iphone 12 mini, about 10% of time failed to connect. had to restart the infotainment system.
Dkaplan (01-22-24)
Old 09-23-23, 11:35 AM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 107 Posts

If you wanted to connect your phone to use apple car play and you wanted to connect by wire instead of wireless, which of the ports would you connect with? The usb or the usb-c?
Old 09-23-23, 03:29 PM
nx450plus
Pit Crew

Received 99 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Xanadu350
If you wanted to connect your phone to use apple car play and you wanted to connect by wire instead of wireless, which of the ports would you connect with? The usb or the usb-c?
I have used either one on different occasions and either is fine
Old 09-23-23, 08:25 PM
idg
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I tried them both (the ones in front). The only one that launched CarPlay was the USB-A. It seems like the USB-C is used for charging and did not launch CarPlay.
Xanadu350 (09-27-23)

Quick Reply: Apple Carplay