NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

How is my 2024 NX 450h+ Luxury supposed to drive

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-23, 04:55 PM
profhoff
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How is my 2024 NX 450h+ Luxury supposed to drive

Greetings. I just bought the fancy new plug-in hybrid. Prior to that my car was a 2008 Lexus RX350. I was sad to let this car go as it was a creamy dream, but it was time to move on and catch up with the latest technology.

So, the new car is definitely fancy and loaded, but driving it is a lot different than my vintage RX. I feel like I have to "control" it a bit on the freeway. It's hard to explain, but this car seems a bit of a rougher ride on uneven freeways and I just have the sense that it's more work to drive this car.

How is this car supposed to drive? It feels tight and rough, not creamy and smooth. Maybe I don't have a good way to compare since my last car was over 16 years old and this car is a LOT different (mostly in good ways). I don't have the sporty model.

I can't put my finger on it, but sometimes I feel like if I'm not careful the car is going to get away from me. It isn't doing anything weird or dangerous, it's just a "feeling." Is this normal?
Old 10-05-23, 07:52 PM
GXWes
Pit Crew

Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts

You went from a big RX. To a smaller NX with all the extra weight

I went from a 2016 RX to a 2019 GX. Thats a big difference
Old 10-05-23, 08:00 PM
43sbest
Pit Crew

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by profhoff
Greetings. I just bought the fancy new plug-in hybrid. Prior to that my car was a 2008 Lexus RX350. I was sad to let this car go as it was a creamy dream, but it was time to move on and catch up with the latest technology.

So, the new car is definitely fancy and loaded, but driving it is a lot different than my vintage RX. I feel like I have to "control" it a bit on the freeway. It's hard to explain, but this car seems a bit of a rougher ride on uneven freeways and I just have the sense that it's more work to drive this car.

How is this car supposed to drive? It feels tight and rough, not creamy and smooth. Maybe I don't have a good way to compare since my last car was over 16 years old and this car is a LOT different (mostly in good ways). I don't have the sporty model.

I can't put my finger on it, but sometimes I feel like if I'm not careful the car is going to get away from me. It isn't doing anything weird or dangerous, it's just a "feeling." Is this normal?
Run flat tires.
The following 3 users liked this post by 43sbest:
Billst (10-06-23), profhoff (10-08-23), SgtLip (10-06-23)
Old 10-06-23, 05:56 AM
bt10
Pit Crew

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

And it probably has almost no toe to achieve the mpg rating. When you bring it in for the first recommended alignment check, tell the service writer you need more stability on the xway. The tech can give you toe and caster, and it will cost you .1mpg.
The following users liked this post:
profhoff (10-08-23)
Old 10-07-23, 07:48 PM
profhoff
8th Gear

Originally Posted by 43sbest
Run flat tires.
yes! Lots of google search later I now know about these run flat tires! Who knew? Explains EVERYTHING.

Thank you so much! I think the safety is worth the rough ride.
Sounds (10-08-23)
Old 10-07-23, 07:50 PM
profhoff
8th Gear

Originally Posted by bt10
And it probably has almost no toe to achieve the mpg rating. When you bring it in for the first recommended alignment check, tell the service writer you need more stability on the xway. The tech can give you toe and caster, and it will cost you .1mpg.
I’ll show this to the service guys and do another google search. Thanks for the advice! I use the car as an EV mostly so I’m willing to give up some mpg.
Old 10-08-23, 02:57 PM
LiBeRtAs
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

Also your new car will fight you to stay in the lane if you have the feature turned on, maybe "fight" is a bit strong but you know what I mean. That might be part of what you are experiencing.
profhoff (10-08-23)
Old 10-08-23, 03:07 PM
profhoff
8th Gear

Originally Posted by LiBeRtAs
Also your new car will fight you to stay in the lane if you have the feature turned on, maybe "fight" is a bit strong but you know what I mean. That might be part of what you are experiencing.
Yes, I know exactly what you mean? Do you know the name of this feature? I have disabled quite a few features and then re-enabled them, trying to figure out which ones are the features that are trying to drive my car on my behalf. I'm old school. I actually learned how to parallel park and I want to be in the driver's seat.
Old 10-08-23, 03:37 PM
LiBeRtAs
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

Yes, I know exactly what you mean? Do you know the name of this feature? I have disabled quite a few features and then re-enabled them, trying to figure out which ones are the features that are trying to drive my car on my behalf. I'm old school. I actually learned how to parallel park and I want to be in the driver's seat.
don’t remember the name but your menu under driver assist I think, I have to be out in the car I’ll check it later unless someone else comes along.
Old 10-08-23, 03:42 PM
profhoff
8th Gear

I checked and I think it's "Lane Trace Assist." The other feature is "Lane Change Assist" or "Lane Departure Alert." It's confusing because it looks like the operation and names change depending on the year and model. However, my manual says Lane Departure Alert should vibrate the steering wheel or sound a little alarm and I notice neither of these things.
Old 10-09-23, 06:55 PM
Droid13
Racer

Received 573 Likes on 404 Posts

I checked and I think it's "Lane Trace Assist." The other feature is "Lane Change Assist" or "Lane Departure Alert." It's confusing because it looks like the operation and names change depending on the year and model. However, my manual says Lane Departure Alert should vibrate the steering wheel or sound a little alarm and I notice neither of these things.
Lane Trace Assist is only active when dynamic cruise control is engaged, and it can be enabled or disabled as you please while cruise is active thru normal cruise set buttons. It tries to keep you centered in the lane markings and/or attempts to follow the car ahead. Lane Change Assist is only available when Lane Trace Assist is active and must be above a certain speed. When LCA and LTA/dynamic cruise are all active, you can put your signal indicator on and eventually (if you are very patient) the car will change lanes on its own. Its very slow and IMO, the most lame of all the enhanced driving assist features (unless you like changing lanes like a 108 yr old man). Lane departure is active all the time (unless disabled) but doesn't necessarily trigger all the time, but as you stated, it rumbles the steering wheel if you cross a lane marking without the signal indicator on. All of these features have definitely noticeable steering wheel feedback, so if you aren't feeling an induced tug or vibration thru the wheel, but are otherwise having some stability insecurity, its probably not the driving assist features and perhaps as others have mentioned the tires or the alignment specs.
Old 10-10-23, 12:09 PM
Billst
Driver

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

The most perturbing thing is the steering “twitch” when you hit a small pothole at speeds above 75mph. Not something I have felt with rft in the past (BMW), so I suspect it is some Lexus steering feature. Not sure if this is the “wobble” mentioned earlier. The steering movement does cause even a fully loaded car to lean over. NX450h+

Last edited by Billst; 10-10-23 at 12:17 PM.
Old 10-10-23, 02:02 PM
SgtLip
Advanced

Received 208 Likes on 149 Posts

You're supposed to drive it like you stole it. After all you did pay a lot for the car.

Old 10-10-23, 03:35 PM
lexsc4
Instructor

Received 193 Likes on 156 Posts

My wife is also coming from an 08 RX350 AWD (now my son's first car) to her now NX350H. The NX does drive sportier/more responsive than the RX, IMO those RFs are just trash and the main culprit. But even with a set of new non RF Michelins, the NX will be noisier compares to the new RX (Apple to Apple). Heck my 6 year old ES350 is quieter than the NX (apple to orange).
As soon as those RFs worns out, I will replace them with a set of Michelins Non-RFs and buy spare tire for longer trips.

Just enjoy the new car dude, there is nothing wrong with it. Every time I switch from my ES350 to her NX, I still feel the ES is a more silky smooth than her brand new NX....
SgtLip (10-10-23)
Old 10-10-23, 03:40 PM
slfrench
Driver School Candidate

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I hate/love Lane Trace Assist on my NX450h+. I finally figured out how to use it. When I'm in town I leave it turned off. When I'm on the freeway I turn it on along with the Adaptive Cruise and the HUD ( I don't use the HUD when in town "Hey Lexus, turn off the HUD" )
LTA is absolutely awesome on the freeways here around Dallas. I just have to touch the steering wheel with 2 fingers and it drives itself, slows down in traffic, speeds up, stays in the lane, very relaxing. btw, it doesn't work well in the rightmost lane. It will try and exit the freeway when a ramp appears, so I get in a middle or leftmost lane and let it work. It makes the 5 hour drive to Houston very relaxed.
SgtLip (10-10-23)

Quick Reply: How is my 2024 NX 450h+ Luxury supposed to drive