NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

Trunk close button with lock

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-23, 10:53 AM
RobF
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Trunk close button with lock

This button never works. It’s worked once since I’ve had the vehicle. The just close trunk button works fine, but when I hit trunk close with lock it just beeps and doesn’t close. Anyone have any idea what issue could be?

Have family members that have had older Lexus’s and same issue. Trunk with lock button never worked.
Old 11-08-23, 10:57 AM
Nayon
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RobF
This button never works. It’s worked once since I’ve had the vehicle. The just close trunk button works fine, but when I hit trunk close with lock it just beeps and doesn’t close. Anyone have any idea what issue could be?

Have family members that have had older Lexus’s and same issue. Trunk with lock button never worked.
The idea is you press it and then walk away. Once you're 2-3 meters away from the car, the trunk will close on its own and lock itself once closed. I don't agree with the design but that's how it works.
Old 11-08-23, 11:06 AM
RobF
Rookie

Originally Posted by Nayon
The idea is you press it and then walk away. Once you're 2-3 meters away from the car, the trunk will close on its own and lock itself once closed. I don't agree with the design but that's how it works.
tried that. Still doesn’t work. Do you press and hold, do you hit it twice? Walking away does nothing.
Old 11-08-23, 11:18 AM
Nayon
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I press once, I get the beep as confirmation it was pressed and then I walk away. I thought it was a bug before too. If that doesn't work for you, you might need to take it in just to have them take a look at it.
Old 11-08-23, 12:09 PM
jihui88
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

The close and lock button doesn't always work even if you walk 100 meters away from the trunk after pressing the button. But the close without lock button always work.
The following 2 users liked this post by jihui88:
Doug007 (11-09-23), unkind2cat (11-09-23)
Old 11-08-23, 01:15 PM
JasDmw
Advanced

Received 238 Likes on 165 Posts

As stated before, you press the lock button, stay at the back of the car until you hear a beep. Then you walk away and hear a beep with a different tone. The hatch then closes and locks.
The following 2 users liked this post by JasDmw:
DaveDude (11-08-23), romer (11-08-23)
Old 11-08-23, 01:26 PM
RobF
Rookie

Originally Posted by JasDmw
As stated before, you press the lock button, stay at the back of the car until you hear a beep. Then you walk away and hear a beep with a different tone. The hatch then closes and locks.
I will try that. Thanks
Old 11-08-23, 02:09 PM
gcskoor
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

I have the same issue sometimes. I think it is some timeout that is programmed into the system for some reason. I have not spent too much time trying to figure it out, it seems to happen when I have the trunk open for awhile. then try to lock. I does not matter how far away I am, it just beeps.

I have learned to not walk away until I see the mirrors swing close. and beep.I always check in public parking, but I just can't assume I can hit and walk away.

Yeah, it happened. LOL Looked back and it was still open. Kinda of scary. When I really want it, I don't trust it.
Old 11-08-23, 02:36 PM
RobF
Rookie

Originally Posted by gcskoor
I have the same issue sometimes. I think it is some timeout that is programmed into the system for some reason. I have not spent too much time trying to figure it out, it seems to happen when I have the trunk open for awhile. then try to lock. I does not matter how far away I am, it just beeps.

I have learned to not walk away until I see the mirrors swing close. and beep.I always check in public parking, but I just can't assume I can hit and walk away.

Yeah, it happened. LOL Looked back and it was still open. Kinda of scary. When I really want it, I don't trust it.
here’s the reason why it drives me nuts. Last year my state instituted the reusable bags at grocery stores. So I have my bags in trunk. Get to food store, go around back and grab bags out of trunk.

I don’t know if anyone else has this issue but when I hit lock on my fob the volume on vehicle is very low. So if I’m walking away as trunk is closing, wait for it to close and hit lock on fob I can barely even hear the lock beep on vehicle. And my fob also doesn’t work great the further away from vehicle I am. So I wait for trunk to close and walk back to drivers door and tap handle to lock. It’s annoying. I’d rather just be able to lock vehicle hitting trunk button. I know this was long winded but that’s why.
Old 11-08-23, 07:28 PM
watmind
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

For me I noticed the close and lock button does not work when there is too much interference, when using the credit card key in my MagSafe apple wallet attached to my phone. Close and lock will never work. Take the credit card key out and keep it in my pocket with nothing else and it works fine.
The following users liked this post:
romer (11-08-23)
Old 11-08-23, 09:58 PM
RobF
Rookie

Originally Posted by JasDmw
This worked. Thank you
romer (11-08-23)
Old 11-09-23, 06:00 AM
offroad200
Instructor

Received 164 Likes on 122 Posts

The point of the functionality of the close/lock button is to push the button first (when you have empty hands), grab your stuff (your hands are full) and then walk away. It doesn't work like traditional Lexus hatches where they immediately close and lock.

I do believe you can change it in Techstream to operate the traditional way.
oregonkat (11-09-23)
Old 11-10-23, 06:49 AM
drox
Driver

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

The lock and Walk Away button is so great... I use it all the time when I have lots of stuff to carry.

I simply stand in front of the trunk, press the button and the car starts beeping at a slow frequency. I take my stuff and walk away.
Old 11-11-23, 07:59 PM
clmk
Driver

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by drox
The lock and Walk Away button is so great... I use it all the time when I have lots of stuff to carry.

I simply stand in front of the trunk, press the button and the car starts beeping at a slow frequency. I take my stuff and walk away.
Same here, and this is exactly how it's meant to be used. If you use it any other way, it'll sometimes not work.

This feature is intended (like the kick to open) to enable you to pick up bags, have your hands full, walk away from the car, and it'll close and lock (because you've got your hands full).

i.e. prepare things you want to pick up from the trunk, press the close and lock button, pick up the stuff you want to take out of the car.... then walk away from the car. The car will detect the fob moving away from the rear of the car, will close the rear door and then shortly after, the car will lock. It works every time for me.

If you wait too long, it won't work; If you don't have the fob in your pocket or on your person, it won't work; If there are people inside the car, it won't work; If there are doors open, it won't work, etc, etc.
Billst (11-11-23)