NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

Swapping 20" wheels to 18" ('24 NX 450h+)

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-23, 11:25 AM
4cylinder
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Swapping 20" wheels to 18" ('24 NX 450h+)

Hi all,

I will take delivery of a 2024 NX 450h+ Executive Package this weekend and am super excited! Except for one thing - I have a strong dislike for large rims with low-profile tires, and those are unfortunately standard on the Executive Package. I'm probably in the minority, but I find the appearance quite ugly. From a functional perspective, there's a negative impact on range/fuel economy and ride comfort, not to mention the higher likelihood of the rim getting permanently damaged from hitting a pothole (due to less sidewall for absorbing impacts). In my personal opinion, wheel size "upgrades" have negative value and it irks me how they're often forced into higher trims of vehicles.

I asked if my dealer could just swap the wheels with stock 18" wheels from a lower trim of the NX, but they said that is not possible. My only option is to purchase those 18" wheels and tires outright (which would be very pricey at the dealership) and then privately sell the 20s.

It's a long shot, but if any ClubLexus NX owners in or around the lower mainland of British Columbia are interested in "upgrading" their 18s to 20s, I'm happy to do a meetup at a tire shop to trade wheels.

Alternatively, if anyone knows of shops that will actually pay somewhat decently for the stock wheels and tires (I don't expect to recoup their actual value, but more than just pocket change will be nice) please share

Last edited by 4cylinder; 11-15-23 at 11:38 AM.
Old 11-15-23, 11:42 AM
romer
Intermediate

Received 158 Likes on 109 Posts

I'm with you on this one. It was one of the reasons I wanted the Premier Package--18" wheels. One caution, and you can verify with Lexus to be sure--but I did the exact swap on a Volvo XC40 and when I went to trade it on an XC60 they would only take a trade if the original 20in wheels were on it. They said it was part of what the VIN said was on the car. The 20inchers were more expensive, etc. and that model called for the 20 inch wheels. So I ended up selling the 18" tires after the trade. Maybe Lexus takes a different approach...but I'd check with them to be sure.
The following users liked this post:
4cylinder (11-15-23)
Old 11-15-23, 11:43 AM
jwllee
4th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where in BC are you? I am in the area and am interested. Are you looking for straight trade? I have the 450 Ultra Premium 18 inch rims.
Old 11-15-23, 12:48 PM
4cylinder
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jwllee
Where in BC are you? I am in the area and am interested. Are you looking for straight trade? I have the 450 Ultra Premium 18 inch rims.
Can you send me a private message? I wasn't able to find that option on your profile (account too new?). I am in the GVA. If your tires are new enough I'm happy to do a straight trade and split the cost at the shop.
Old 11-15-23, 12:50 PM
jwllee
4th Gear

Originally Posted by 4cylinder
Can you send me a private message? I wasn't able to find that option on your profile (account too new?). I am in the GVA. If your tires are new enough I'm happy to do a straight trade and split the cost at the shop.
I cannot send you a message either, strange. I just took delivery 2 weeks ago so tires are basically brand new.
Old 11-15-23, 12:57 PM
4cylinder
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jwllee
I cannot send you a message either, strange. I just took delivery 2 weeks ago so tires are basically brand new.
I checked the forum FAQ and the rule is that PMs are disabled until the user has made at least 30 posts or the account is at least 30 days old. I definitely have nowhere close to 30 posts but this account is a couple years old and I have the ability to PM other users, so I think you just need to post a lot more (or wait)

Glad to hear your setup is new too. Once you have the ability to PM, we can exchange contact info.
jwllee (11-15-23)
Old 11-15-23, 01:02 PM
jwllee
4th Gear

I checked the forum FAQ and the rule is that PMs are disabled until the user has made at least 30 posts or the account is at least 30 days old. I definitely have nowhere close to 30 posts but this account is a couple years old and I have the ability to PM other users, so I think you just need to post a lot more (or wait)

Glad to hear your setup is new too. Once you have the ability to PM, we can exchange contact info.
Okay sounds good, hopefully you still have the wheels by then. Legitimately interested.
4cylinder (11-15-23)
Old 11-15-23, 01:51 PM
LStoneX
Intermediate

Received 220 Likes on 154 Posts
Default Nice one

Good luck to you both.

I'm the lower mainland myself. While I'm not looking to swap (I have the 20" wheels), I did get a separate winter set of tires and wheels with aftermarket TPMS from a tire shop out in the Fraser Valley. Rides decently Inn the 18"s and the 20" isn't bad actually.

Mine is 2022 MY and this year my mpg had actually been better than when I took delivery, and I still have the OEM runflats.

Old 11-15-23, 05:07 PM
GreyGooseNX
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Not to thread Jack but just throwing this out there for anyone else reading this. I have 18in rims and wheels and still low mileage and would love to swap for 20in tires and rims if anyone is interested. I am in Georgia for those interested.
Old 11-15-23, 07:38 PM
jwllee
4th Gear

Just sent you message
4cylinder (11-16-23)
Old 11-15-23, 08:11 PM
Sinecure
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm in a similar camp. Not a huge fan of oversized rims. Too easy to scratch and make for a rougher ride. I went with 18" rims for my winter set up. I like it a lot.
Old 11-16-23, 05:01 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 598 Likes on 418 Posts

Hi all,

I will take delivery of a 2024 NX 450h+ Executive Package this weekend and am super excited! Except for one thing - I have a strong dislike for large rims with low-profile tires, and those are unfortunately standard on the Executive Package. I'm probably in the minority, but I find the appearance quite ugly. From a functional perspective, there's a negative impact on range/fuel economy and ride comfort, not to mention the higher likelihood of the rim getting permanently damaged from hitting a pothole (due to less sidewall for absorbing impacts). In my personal opinion, wheel size "upgrades" have negative value and it irks me how they're often forced into higher trims of vehicles.

I asked if my dealer could just swap the wheels with stock 18" wheels from a lower trim of the NX, but they said that is not possible. My only option is to purchase those 18" wheels and tires outright (which would be very pricey at the dealership) and then privately sell the 20s.

It's a long shot, but if any ClubLexus NX owners in or around the lower mainland of British Columbia are interested in "upgrading" their 18s to 20s, I'm happy to do a meetup at a tire shop to trade wheels.

Alternatively, if anyone knows of shops that will actually pay somewhat decently for the stock wheels and tires (I don't expect to recoup their actual value, but more than just pocket change will be nice) please share
Lexus Canada sells the Lexus accessory 18" Wheels that actually look good. They are less than $300 cad each.

That might be an option. Then you can also get rid of those run flats.
Old 11-16-23, 07:54 AM
Thuwaragan
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Sinecure
I'm in a similar camp. Not a huge fan of oversized rims. Too easy to scratch and make for a rougher ride. I went with 18" rims for my winter set up. I like it a lot.
Not to hijack this post, but what rims did you go with? I have a '22 NX450h+ and I want to swap to 18" wheels/tires for winter tires but I don't know if those will fit the 450h+ or not. I suspect they do but the listings on TireRack don't show any options for the 450h+
Old 11-16-23, 09:35 AM
nx450plus
Pit Crew

Received 100 Likes on 63 Posts

not to hijack this post but there has been alot hijacking.
Thuwaragan (11-17-23)
Old 11-16-23, 09:54 AM
4cylinder
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Thuwaragan
Not to hijack this post, but what rims did you go with? I have a '22 NX450h+ and I want to swap to 18" wheels/tires for winter tires but I don't know if those will fit the 450h+ or not. I suspect they do but the listings on TireRack don't show any options for the 450h+
If I'm not mistaken, the NX450h+ brakes are no different from those of the 350h, so any wheel listed as compatible with the 350h should also work on the 450h+.

Quick Reply: Swapping 20" wheels to 18" ('24 NX 450h+)