NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

CarPlay: Siri is drunk

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-23, 07:31 AM
Bopper
Driver School Candidate

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Default CarPlay: Siri is drunk

Ever since the latest iPhone update, Siri on my CarPlay has basically been drunk. She can't read outgoing texts back. She adds "What do you want?" to the beginning of every dictated text. After every interaction, she chimes in, uninvited, with "Siri here. Let me know how I can help. I can't answer that while the car is moving. You have no new messages. You have 26 saved messages. Would you like me to play them?" Map directions don't work half the time. Mind you, the phone itself works fine. It's only CarPlay that is going crazy.

Has this happened to anybody else? Has anyone found a fix? I have googled through Apple Support, tried the suggestions I found there for CarPlay problems, and none of them have worked. Is CarPlay a system covered under warranty?
Old 12-20-23, 07:11 PM
lsft
Racer

Received 612 Likes on 413 Posts

Originally Posted by Bopper
Ever since the latest iPhone update, Siri on my CarPlay has basically been drunk. She can't read outgoing texts back. She adds "What do you want?" to the beginning of every dictated text. After every interaction, she chimes in, uninvited, with "Siri here. Let me know how I can help. I can't answer that while the car is moving. You have no new messages. You have 26 saved messages. Would you like me to play them?" Map directions don't work half the time. Mind you, the phone itself works fine. It's only CarPlay that is going crazy.

Has this happened to anybody else? Has anyone found a fix? I have googled through Apple Support, tried the suggestions I found there for CarPlay problems, and none of them have worked. Is CarPlay a system covered under warranty?
CarPlay is software on your phone. The infotainment system just mirrors what your phone provides and the car would provide some info to the phone for navigation. I'm not sure what Lexus can do with the issues you have with Siri.
Old 12-21-23, 06:14 AM
jeffpl
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Bopper

What you are experiencing is happening to many NX owners. It has been reported to Apple and they say they are working on a solution. There is a bug where Siri keeps listening after you make your request. I have found that if I lower the volume to a whisper, Siri can not hear itself and will work correctly. By the way, Siri worked flawlessly prior to iOS 17, so it's definitely an iPhone bug.
The following users liked this post:
Datanator (03-08-24)
Old 01-20-24, 11:25 AM
BeachGirlLS
2nd gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am having this exact same issue, so frustrating! I spent an hour and a half on the phone with Apple, they ultimately said it is supposed to be fixed with an IPhone update, but have had two updates since then and not fixed. My Lexus service department told me it will be fixed with an IPhone update also and they said lots of other people have the same issue with NX vehicles, 2022, 2023 models and maybe other years, I can't remember. When I use my IPhone in other rental vehicles with Car Play, I have no issues at all! Hoping Lexus puts some pressure on Apple, and that Apple fixes the issue soon!
Old 02-21-24, 10:06 AM
jmkkalo1
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, i have a 2024 nx and SIRI is not working property... every since my IOS updated to 17.2 version from 16 version Siri voice is not recognizing my voice when i say a command , i have to press the SIRI function immediately once i say a command then it works ....ive tried all the troubleshooting steps and downloaded the latest update from Lexus but still the same results

Last edited by jmkkalo1; 02-21-24 at 01:04 PM.
Old 02-21-24, 12:47 PM
AM123
Pit Crew

Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Must be latest 17.3 update

I did experience glitching in the CarPlay ever since I updated the software and also the iOS 17.3 at the more or less same time. But I thought initially that it was the Lexus 2050 infotainment update but listening to lot of folks experiencing issues with Siri and CarPlay, it’s gotta be iOS. Hopefully 17.4 when it comes out should fix these issues. Fingers crossed 🤞
Old 03-08-24, 01:47 PM
Datanator
Driver

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

Ok I have a small update on this issue - no solution to this problem but I can tell you what WON'T work.

I complained about this issue of the iOS 17.x release breaking Carplay integration with Siri in the NX. The dealer batted it back and forth with corporate and they acknowledged it is an issue. The recommended 'fix' was to replace my entire radio head unit. So... new head unit arrived this week and was installed today.

... no change in behavior.

I was secretly hoping there would be a different - or updated - software on this new unit. Or perhaps a new version of the hardware that would eliminate the issue, but it persists. The good news, is something's been ruled out. The bad news, is the solution still escapes them.

One thing that is a WORKAROUND if you're having this issue... and I showed this to the shop foreman who had no idea - hopefully this will somehow make it to the right people and a fix will be pushed out. It seems Siri is hearing herself and causing all this drunkenness. SO... here's the workaround:

... turn the volume for siri down VERY low- to the point you barely hear her. You should now be able to dictate and send texts 'normally' although it will be hard to hear her read them to you. The instant you turn the volume up a bit louder, she'll be drunk again. My guess is the mic is picking up the speakers and causing the issues. .. but what do I know. I'm just the guy trying to use this thing as designed!

///Datanator