NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)
View Poll Results: What you option on NX run flat tires
Positive, doesn't affect the purchase of the vehicle
71.19%
Negative, won't buy vehicle due to run-flat and no spare.
8.47%
Not Sure.
20.34%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

NX run flat tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-23 | 06:08 PM
websurfer
Racer

Originally Posted by midcow3
RFT are good for some tire situations, tire leaks or minor punctures. A sidewall puncture or a blowout, you cannot drive a RFT. Tires have significantly improved over the years. During the first 20,000 miles or so you could probably get by without a spare and never have a problem. The Modern Tire spare can be purchased in a nice case with a handle and jack tools. If you go on a long trip you put the spare tire in the cargo area. It takes up about 2/3 the width, but there is still room on top and side and you can take the privacy cover off and sy7tore even more on top. There is plenty of room for two people on a long trip; back seat can be used. There is enough room for 3 people on most trips with the spare in the back.

What happens normally on tires most of the time is a puncture and a slow leak. You can air up at home or service station , or get one of those portable pumps, and if the problem isn't fixed, then take it to your favorite tire store and get replacement tires. Remember, unless the miles are very low on the tires ( less than 5,000) because of AWD you have to replace all 4 tires.

RFTs normally are heavier, have shorter trad life and are noisier. .....but in certain situations ( up to 50 miles at speed up to 50 mph) you can drive to your favorite tire store.

RFTs , IMHO are way way oversold on their benefits.

YMMV,
MidCow3
Change all 4 tires? Not only 2 tires at a time? i.e. 2 fronts or 2 rears?
It's not 100% AWD all the time I think.

I'll put a portable air pump. The 18" Bridgestone is usually available 1-2 days in our area.

Thanks for sharing.

Last edited by websurfer; 12-26-23 at 06:16 PM.
Old 12-26-23 | 06:11 PM
websurfer
Racer

When driving home last week, I think I went over a pothole with a big thump. While I was selling my vehicle today, I noticed the tire and wheel got damaged on my GS.

If it happened on the NX, I probably will need to get a tow without a spare.

(look at the bent wheel and rim on the left). I sold my GS to the dealer today so the inspection caught it.

Old 12-26-23 | 07:11 PM
Lexicon1
Advanced

websurfer, something that can be addressed like replacing tires later on or even getting a auxiliary spare IMO is not a dealbreaker.
if that is a major issue then the work around is getting a different vehicle.
A deal breaker is an inherent potentially defective or undesirable integral engine or drivetrain design that cant be solved.
If there are any issues w the Lexus Hybrid its potentially "Cablegate", (as seen on the Rav4 forum) but , even that one will have an ultimate solution down the road. It does not seem to affect non-snow areas. I don't mean to open up a can of worms on that one.
Old 12-26-23 | 07:14 PM
websurfer
Racer

Originally Posted by Lexicon1
websurfer, something that can be addressed like replacing tires later on or even getting a auxiliary spare IMO is not a dealbreaker.
if that is a major issue then the work around is getting a different vehicle.
A deal breaker is an inherent potentially defective or undesirable integral engine or drivetrain design that cant be solved.
If there are any issues w the Lexus Hybrid its potentially "Cablegate", (as seen on the Rav4 forum) but , even that one will have an ultimate solution down the road. It does not seem to affect non-snow areas. I don't mean to open up a can of worms on that one.
Not a big issue anymore with the tires now. I can source the tires.

No idea on the cablegate on the NX. Need to look when I get my NX hybrid. ETA is 1st or 2nd week of Jan. It's ok to bring up the topic IMO. Maybe start a new thread though so we can search better on it later.
Old 12-26-23 | 11:48 PM
anoop
Intermediate

I hope they get rid of the RFT and offer a spare when they refresh the NX. Also hope they get rid of the 20" wheels being standard on Luxury. I can hope, right?
The following users liked this post:
romer (12-27-23)
Old 12-27-23 | 08:45 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

The Pirelli P Zero Nero All Season Run Flat Tires have a 45,000 mile warranty.

For a SUV I actually like the idea of run flat tires. I cringe when thinking about having a flat tire when traveling or driving on a busy highway. It's not like the NX is a LS which is expected to have a luxury ride or you're going to be driving the NX aggressively.

Dallas 'High Five' Freeway Interchange

Last edited by bclexus; 12-27-23 at 08:50 AM. Reason: orthography
Old 12-27-23 | 11:34 AM
Malky
Driver

Originally Posted by anoop
I hope they get rid of the RFT and offer a spare when they refresh the NX. Also hope they get rid of the 20" wheels being standard on Luxury. I can hope, right?
20in wheels aren’t standard for the luxury trim. It depends which luxury option you opt for. The other luxury trim makes 20in wheels an option. I should know because I got a fully loaded luxury 350h except with 18in wheels.
Old 12-27-23 | 01:34 PM
websurfer
Racer

Originally Posted by Malky
20in wheels aren’t standard for the luxury trim. It depends which luxury option you opt for. The other luxury trim makes 20in wheels an option. I should know because I got a fully loaded luxury 350h except with 18in wheels.
Unfortunately the ones arriving in our local dealer has been part of the Luxury package. Yes, I don't think I need them also.
Old 12-27-23 | 01:46 PM
anoop
Intermediate

This is great news. Maybe it's a change for 2024. What MY is yours?
Old 12-27-23 | 01:57 PM
Malky
Driver

Originally Posted by anoop
This is great news. Maybe it's a change for 2024. What MY is yours?
Mine is 2024.

From what I remember, there are two Luxury packages. Each one has different standard features. You can still add options to match the other Luxury package.

Last edited by Malky; 12-27-23 at 02:00 PM.
Old 12-27-23 | 02:06 PM
anoop
Intermediate

Mine is 2024.

From what I remember, there are two Luxury packages. Each one has different standard features. You can still add options to match the other Luxury package.
OK. When i was trying to buy one in 2023 I don’t recall having the option of 18 with luxury.
Old 12-27-23 | 02:19 PM
43sbest
Pit Crew

In the US 20 inch wheels are not part of the luxury package, they are a separate line item on the window sticker just like the triple beam head lights. That said most dealers order the 20 inch wheels when they order the luxury package.
Old 12-27-23 | 02:56 PM
Geopoz
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 43sbest
In the US 20 inch wheels are not part of the luxury package, they are a separate line item on the window sticker just like the triple beam head lights. That said most dealers order the 20 inch wheels when they order the luxury package.
It's not the dealers that order them. It's Lexus that include them. The dealers get what Lexus gives them.
The following 2 users liked this post by Geopoz:
CindyZ (12-30-23), romer (12-27-23)
Old 12-29-23 | 01:01 PM
Rosied55
5th Gear

Default Warranty

Originally Posted by tundotcom
This is my first experience with run flats and they aren't as bad as I expected. I will still replace them with regular tires when the time comes though. I have the modern spare in my trunk but I don't have the hybrid so it fits under the trunk floor.
so did you purchase the warranty for the tires? And if not, you bought a spare? Thx
Old 12-29-23 | 01:09 PM
tundotcom
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Rosied55
so did you purchase the warranty for the tires? And if not, you bought a spare? Thx
I declined the warranty. And yes, I bought the modern spare.

https://modernspare.com/product/2024...e-kit-options/

Quick Reply: NX run flat tires