NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)
View Poll Results: What you option on NX run flat tires
Positive, doesn't affect the purchase of the vehicle
71.19%
Negative, won't buy vehicle due to run-flat and no spare.
8.47%
Not Sure.
20.34%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

NX run flat tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-23 | 04:20 PM
websurfer
Racer

Default NX run flat tires

Hey All,

We are looking at the Lexus NX350h but it appears to have run-flat tires so no spares. Not sure to think about it as a show stopper not to buy or not but wanted to field some options.
Old 12-24-23 | 09:08 PM
chuuck1e
Pit Crew

I would have preferred regular tires and a spare. However, the run-flats have been pretty good so far. I looked into buying a temporary space, but have not done so yet.
The following users liked this post:
websurfer (12-24-23)
Old 12-24-23 | 09:20 PM
websurfer
Racer

Originally Posted by chuuck1e
I would have preferred regular tires and a spare. However, the run-flats have been pretty good so far. I looked into buying a temporary space, but have not done so yet.
Thanks for sharing.
Old 12-24-23 | 09:22 PM
tundotcom
Pit Crew

This is my first experience with run flats and they aren't as bad as I expected. I will still replace them with regular tires when the time comes though. I have the modern spare in my trunk but I don't have the hybrid so it fits under the trunk floor.
websurfer (12-24-23)
Old 12-24-23 | 09:57 PM
websurfer
Racer

Originally Posted by tundotcom
This is my first experience with run flats and they aren't as bad as I expected. I will still replace them with regular tires when the time comes though. I have the modern spare in my trunk but I don't have the hybrid so it fits under the trunk floor.
If you need another spare in the cargo, space would be lost. The trunk floor doesn't seem to fit the spare, it's compartments?
Old 12-25-23 | 07:56 AM
StefanoS
Intermediate

I haven't had a really serious flat in over 30 years but, on occasion, I find a nail or screw in the tread. I have plugged a couple myself and also had them done at the local Costco tire center. When these run flats wear out, I may opt for the Michelin Cross Climate 2. I ordered a set at Costco for my wife's 2017 Acura RDX prior to giving it to our DIL. I feel that it's a great tire.

Last edited by StefanoS; 12-25-23 at 02:43 PM.
Old 12-25-23 | 08:12 AM
Xanadu350
Racer

Do any NX’s actually come with a spare from the factory. I remember seeing some that the reviewer lifted the back and the factory spare was underneath. Maybe those were pre-production models?
Old 12-25-23 | 08:21 AM
tundotcom
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Xanadu350
Do any NX’s actually come with a spare from the factory. I remember seeing some that the reviewer lifted the back and the factory spare was underneath. Maybe those were pre-production models?
Canadian NX 250 only.
Originally Posted by websurfer
If you need another spare in the cargo, space would be lost. The trunk floor doesn't seem to fit the spare, it's compartments?
You can remove the storage compartments and fit the spare. But if you have either of the hybrids, you can't fit it because of the 12v battery.
websurfer (12-25-23)
Old 12-25-23 | 08:33 AM
midcow3
Racer

Angry Don't like RFT , answered Yes, RFT did not affect buying

The answers on the poll were not crafted so that I could accurately answer. I answered yes, but I DO NOT LIKE RFTs. RFT will not not and did not affect my decision to buy the NX. However, at the first economic opportunity ( when the RFTs wear out and need to be replaced) I will replace with non-RFT. right now I am planning on : 245/50 20 Pirelli Scorpion AS Plus 3

Merry Christmas!

YMMV,
MidCow3
The following 2 users liked this post by midcow3:
Stedman (12-26-23), weaver483 (12-25-23)
Old 12-25-23 | 08:35 AM
websurfer
Racer

Originally Posted by tundotcom
Canadian NX 250 only.

You can remove the storage compartments and fit the spare. But if you have either of the hybrids, you can't fit it because of the 12v battery.
Yes, we are looking at the hybrid.
Old 12-25-23 | 06:15 PM
websurfer
Racer

Any other options?
Old 12-26-23 | 04:50 AM
GoneSkiing
Rookie

I'm with Midcow - the RFT didn't affect my decision to purchase the NX, but they will be replaced with non-RFT once they wear out. I did the same on my other vehicle.
Stedman (12-26-23)
Old 12-26-23 | 08:14 AM
websurfer
Racer

Originally Posted by GoneSkiing
I'm with Midcow - the RFT didn't affect my decision to purchase the NX, but they will be replaced with non-RFT once they wear out. I did the same on my other vehicle.
Essentially if you replace with non-RFT then you will need a spare in the cargo area (on the top) which takes space right?
Old 12-26-23 | 09:09 AM
jardlr
Driver

(The NX is the wife's vehicle, lots of highway commuting to work)
I feel like the run-flats have a harder ride and definitely have a lesser treadlife. I initially planned on replacing them with non run-flats when they were worn. However, after she hit something on the highway that ripped the tire wide open and was able to still safely navigate to a tire shop for a replacement, I feel like they are a better option in her case. I understand Lexus offers towing, and we have AAA Premium for all our vehicles, but I'm convinced the tear in the tire would have caused a really horrible accident if not for the run flats.

That being said, with 38k miles, we have a replacement set scheduled to be installed at Costco on Friday for $1150.
websurfer (12-26-23)
Old 12-26-23 | 09:18 AM
midcow3
Racer

Lightbulb RFTs do not solve all tire problems

Originally Posted by websurfer
Essentially if you replace with non-RFT then you will need a spare in the cargo area (on the top) which takes space right?
RFT are good for some tire situations, tire leaks or minor punctures. A sidewall puncture or a blowout, you cannot drive a RFT. Tires have significantly improved over the years. During the first 20,000 miles or so you could probably get by without a spare and never have a problem. The Modern Tire spare can be purchased in a nice case with a handle and jack tools. If you go on a long trip you put the spare tire in the cargo area. It takes up about 2/3 the width, but there is still room on top and side and you can take the privacy cover off and sy7tore even more on top. There is plenty of room for two people on a long trip; back seat can be used. There is enough room for 3 people on most trips with the spare in the back.

What happens normally on tires most of the time is a puncture and a slow leak. You can air up at home or service station , or get one of those portable pumps, and if the problem isn't fixed, then take it to your favorite tire store and get replacement tires. Remember, unless the miles are very low on the tires ( less than 5,000) because of AWD you have to replace all 4 tires.

RFTs normally are heavier, have shorter trad life and are noisier. .....but in certain situations ( up to 50 miles at speed up to 50 mph) you can drive to your favorite tire store.

RFTs , IMHO are way way oversold on their benefits.

YMMV,
MidCow3
The following 2 users liked this post by midcow3:
weaver483 (12-27-23), websurfer (12-26-23)

Quick Reply: NX run flat tires