NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

Android Auto and Native App on Split Screen?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-23, 07:21 AM
Brooksguy5
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Android Auto and Native App on Split Screen?

I am mostly delighted with my 2023 NX 350h premium. But there are a few things about the infotainment system that I find very frustrating. High on that list is the inability to have both an Android Auto map and one of the native vehicle functions on the screen at the same time. When I am using the AA map, I'd also like to be able to see the FM radio screen on the screen. Or, now that I've put a lot of my music on a USB stick, I'd like to be able to keep the AA map on the screen and change the album selected on the USB. As far as I can tell, this is not possible; I have to back out of Android Auto and pull up the screen with native Lexus apps to get to the USB selections - this requires a number of manipulations on the screen, and serious distracted driving. Is there some way to ask the Lexus engineers to consider adding this type of AA/native split screen functionailty?

T
Old 12-29-23, 10:03 AM
SeismicGuy
Pit Crew

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

It took me a while to understand that when using Android Auto it basically takes control of the entire screen which was initially confusing when I was trying to play Sirius XM via the native Lexus system. I had to use the Mode button on the right side of the steering wheel to scroll through the various media choices and pick Sirius XM but Pandora still showed up on the infotainment screen although it was not playing. If you want to see what is playing you can look at the info area to the left of the speedometer and pick the media option--that will show what media is actually playing.
Old 12-29-23, 10:35 AM
Brooksguy5
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the reply. I realize that I can tell what mode is playing by viewing on the HUD, and can switch channels if the radio is playing using the steering wheel controls. But what I want is to be able to continue viewing the Android Auto Google Map, and at the same time manipulate the audio playing through the USB by seeing a visual of what is plaiying, changing the album, artist, etc. The steering wheel buttons and HUD display won't let me do that.

T
Old 12-30-23, 08:09 AM
Droid13
Racer

Received 528 Likes on 368 Posts

Has anyone ever seen such functionality from any manufacturer? When I look at most car's infotainment systems, I basically see an OS based on phone or tablet thinking. The way they interact with users is much different than a multi-window desktop OS like WIndows or MacOS. Now I know some phones and tablets do have a simple multi-window capability, but they seem more niche than something most people use regularly. Most of the time phones and tablets display 1 app at a time and unless you are working within a notification function. Showing and interacting with multiple apps at a time requires a lot more resources and capability from the system and the people behind it. This is different than the split screens you can do within AA or ACP because all this is handled by your phone and is built and backed up by trillion dollar tech companies.

I just can't help but feel most auto makers would look at that and say "H3ll no!". But who knows, has any maker actually done this? Either with AA/ACP or even within their own native app space?
Old 12-30-23, 02:03 PM
Bruce128
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I also hate this feature. With Android auto I I would like to be able to scroll through radio stations not just favorites including SiriusXM. I can use the Sirius XM app that is not car friendly for scrolling through stations. My wife's Porsche Macan she can have apple carplay up and the small screen on the side for the native radio. So both can be up at the same time. Maybe a future software update will change this?
Old 12-31-23, 07:10 AM
Brooksguy5
Driver School Candidate

Bruce 128: I discovered that you can scroll through radio stations (not just favorites) with the steering wheel forward and back buttons on the left; you just don't get much visual feedback when doing this. To do this, first you make sure you are in radio mode using the mode selection buttons. Then you hold the forward button down until you hear a soft "boop" and the radio will seek to the next available station and stop there. There is a bit of finesse involved; you must hold the button down until you hear the "boop," because if you let go too early it will just advance to the next favorited station. The heads up display on my car shows me the frequency of the new station. However, like you, I'd prefer to have the full display in a window on the infortainment screen, where I could see the info about the song playing, etc. And the steering wheel controls, as far as I know, won't let me control the music playing through the USB while AA is active. I suppose they might let me advance to the next song, but they wouldn't let me view and select a new album, etc.

T
Old 01-01-24, 01:55 PM
Bruce128
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks i will give it a try