NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

It's GONE. Sold my 23 NX450H+

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-24, 07:43 PM
Thuwaragan
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by lsft
Had some short drives and also some that were 45-60 min drive.
The heat was set to 19-20°C. Not very high at all.

​​​​​​I'm going to the dealership for the DC to DC converter recall next week. I'm not going to charge it starting Monday and ask them to check my battery.
I had my 12V die but in an "odd" fashion. I do make an occasional 120 mile/200km trip so I do end up going through my gas tank at least once every 2 months. I also live out of state of where I work, so I drove in ~300 miles (good 4 hr highway drive so battery should've been charged) and dropped it off at the dealer for the 15k service the next morning. They did the basic service and one of the 2 safety recalls, but phoned me around pickup time that the 12V battery was dead and they're going to charge it overnight. Ended up not working so I got a new 12V under warrantee. Thankfully it failed why they had it which is why I'm guessing they warrantee fixed it; not sure if they would've claimed I did something if it died under my watch instead.

Last edited by Thuwaragan; 01-04-24 at 08:06 PM.
The following users liked this post:
SgtLip (01-06-24)
Old 01-05-24, 12:24 AM
NX450Guy
Pit Crew

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by weaver483
I am retired and have a Tundra so the NX its not my full time car. I think that one of my problems is that I am OCD about keeping the NX clean inside an out. I have learned that keeping the doors open while cleaning the inside really drains the battery. Also learned to kep the key FOB inside the house when washing the outside. I have invested in a battery tester with load, battery analyser and NOCO jump started. Just as the dealer says the battery tests fine when charged and doesn't show any weak cells. Maybe the battery is undersized but if I remember right its 560 CCA which seems about right for the 2.5 ICE. This is my 6th Lexus (4 RXs & 2 NXs) and sadly may be my last if this problem is not solved. As I said before, I really like the car but realibility is very important to me and thats why I have owned Toyotas and Lexus for years but I couldn't say this NX is reliable.
Yes, the 12v is undersized for the amount of electronics that draw on it consistently. If you are going to keep the doors open to clean, it’s recommended that you have the gas engine on ready mode so you don’t draw down the 12 volt.
Old 01-05-24, 01:09 AM
gcskoor
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Sorry for your loss and experience.

I have the 22 350h. I have noticed you do have to watch leaving the doors/hatch open. Or the running in ACC mode for more than just a few mins. However, I had a 17 CRV Touring and it was just as bad and the battery about killing the battery quickly and it did not last much more than two years. Both were pretty bad on 12v battery management, but acceptable so far. Seems to be the new trend with all the active electronics. And I am wondering if the digital key is adding to the drain, if one uses it.

On the PHEV in general, I originally was in the allocation queue for the 450h, but have finally decided the PHEV's EV short range, extra cost, you still have to run the gas engine to keep the gas from going stale, lugging around 400 lb of dead weight after 30+ miles in cold weather (live in CO) and really need to plug it in after most trips, it was was just not a good fit for spread-out Colorado. The YT channel Car Care Nut really helped me to understand the trade-offs and strongly affected my decision.

I personally decided they are not the transition to EV vehicle most are thinking they are and glad I changed to the 350h. Today, I am recommend my friends to just go hybrid only. But the jury is still out, I suppose. I hope the low resale is not reflecting this market realization already. And I don't see Toyota killing themselves to make them vs a regular hybrid. Maybe that is a message in itself.

My cynical side it that ismore of a compliance car and the reason for the low volume after all the years including the RAV4 Prime. Ot even worst a "beta" like testing EV ;its for a customers feedback to develop their "serious" EVs.

Last edited by gcskoor; 01-05-24 at 01:19 AM.
SgtLip (01-06-24)
Old 01-05-24, 01:22 AM
spbonzo
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

My wife bought a Mini Countryman PHEV just over 18 months ago and now wants to change it. It's only done 12000 miles and is in perfect condition but the part exchange values she's getting are ridiculous. Every Mini garage we've tried has told us that the second hand electric\hybrid market isn't great. They wonder if people are put off by anything used that's got a battery.

I bought my NX 450 in March 2023 in the belief that the hybrid technology would help it depreciate far less than the BMW X3 M40 I was thinking of buying. I'm beginning to fear the worst.
SgtLip (01-06-24)
Old 01-05-24, 06:28 PM
Doug007
Intermediate

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by SgtLip
$75,000.00ish with all the fees and 6% sales taxes. Sold it for $47,500.00.

Had offers from CarMax @ $45,000 even though online they said $48,200. Their excuse was the price went down overnight and that was the top of their range. I asked what I needed to get to the top of the range and they said NOTHING, the car was emasculate with plenty of upgrades.

Edmunds said it was priced at $44,000-48,000. They then provided a graph with the estimate price from Jan 2023 until now and it dropped every month.

Consumer Reports uses Black Book and they said it was worth $51,000-56,000.
That’s rough. Sorry you had to take a bath on your 450. What are your thoughts for a replacement?
Old 01-05-24, 07:00 PM
anoop
Intermediate

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug007
That’s rough. Sorry you had to take a bath on your 450. What are your thoughts for a replacement?
See post #24.
SgtLip (01-06-24)
Old 01-05-24, 07:50 PM
midcow3
Racer

Received 531 Likes on 347 Posts
Angry battery failure

Originally Posted by DaveDude
I have also owned a 2022 NX 350h for nearly two years and have never experienced this 12V battery issue. The 6K miles you have driven does seem low for a 2022. I am guessing your NX sits for a few days occasionally or is driven regularly but mostly short trips. Either way it shouldn't be happening. My greater use pattern may be saving me here.

My intention was to upgrade to a NX 450h in a year or so. But it appears I risk trading my trouble free vehicle in for a potential problem vehicle even with my greater usage. Last thing I need is worrying about whether my vehicle is going to start today. Would remind of when I was a kid driving junkers.
So I took my 2022 Lexus 350h NX in for 10K service and Lexus killed my battery in the car wash and had to replace it. The Houston Northside Lexus Service was terrible; it too them 4 hours to perform the 10K service. I never use ACC and always drive my car normally; the battery failure bothers me.

YMMV,
MidCow3
The following 2 users liked this post by midcow3:
SgtLip (01-06-24), weaver483 (01-06-24)
Old 01-05-24, 07:58 PM
anoop
Intermediate

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by midcow3
So I took my 2022 Lexus 350h NX in for 10K service and Lexus killed my battery in the car wash and had to replace it. The Houston Northside Lexus Service was terrible; it too them 4 hours to perform the 10K service. I never use ACC and always drive my car normally; the battery failure bothers me.

YMMV,
MidCow3
How did they kill the battery?
Old 01-05-24, 08:21 PM
midcow3
Racer

Received 531 Likes on 347 Posts
Angry car wash battery failure

Originally Posted by anoop
How did they kill the battery?
I don't know. After waiting 3 1/2 hours they told me the battery died in the car wash and they would replace it under warranty. I asked and they told me they didn't know. I had never had any problem with my battery before.

I have a great auto shop close to me and will probably do most of my work there, unless a Lexus warranty issue. I have had it with the Houston ( actually Spring, TX) Northside Lexus Service department, they are slow slow; 5k service was very slow also. I went to them with my previous Lexuses, but the Service department has gotten very bad lately.

YMMV,
MidCow3

/
Old 01-05-24, 09:51 PM
Doug007
Intermediate

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by anoop
See post #24.
Thanks - missed that Anoop.
SgtLip (01-06-24)
Old 01-06-24, 03:48 AM
SgtLip
Advanced

Received 208 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by midcow3

YMMV,
MidCow3
My 10K service took 4-4.5 hours as well. Unfortunately the battery didn't die. Sure wish I had the luck of the Irish like you had. I sure hope they installed a better battery and your issues are resolved. Good Luck.

Old 01-06-24, 10:21 AM
SgtLip
Advanced

Received 208 Likes on 149 Posts

Found the Trade-In Value History I mentioned in my posts. I noticed the up turn as of January 2024. Not sure but I'm wondering if my sale had anything to do with it. I say that because Edmunds had only through December 2023 when I got their price and now January shows up after I sold mine for $47,500 on 3 January.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-06-24, 11:14 AM
Lead Lap

Received 779 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by NX450Guy
Yes, absolutely right. As I mentioned above, I learned that the hard way when my 12v died twice. Besides the fact that gas shouldn’t be sitting unused for six months or more, the short trips I was taking on electric only didn’t sufficiently charge the 12 volt battery. I now switch to gas here and there and idol using gas on “ready mode.” Thought I was so slick using EV only for months!
gas engine doesn’t change the 12v. HV battery does.
Old 01-06-24, 11:22 AM
Lead Lap

Received 779 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by lsft
I ran my car last week on both gas and EV mode.. still 12V battery didn't survive a week... I need to bring mine in for a check on the 12V. I fully charged the 12V and after a week, the car needed another charge.
again. The gas engine doesn’t charge the 12v. The HV battery does.
Old 01-06-24, 11:33 AM
lsft
Racer

Received 577 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by 703
again. The gas engine doesn’t charge the 12v. The HV battery does.
Not sure why you telling me this... I have a video talking about how it gets charged. It's the traction battery that charges the battery. I am just answering people saying that I have driven both EV and HV modes - as some believe you need the gas engine to turn on to charge the 12V battery.
SgtLip (01-06-24)

Quick Reply: It's GONE. Sold my 23 NX450H+