NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

Interior Engine Sound Level Adjustment?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-24, 09:02 PM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 107 Posts
Default Interior Engine Sound Level Adjustment?

I went through the entire Lexus tutorial deep dive from Northside Lexus but could not find this feature.
I was watching a You tube video reviewer Redline Reviews and he had the 2024 NX 350 F Sport and was doing several 0-60 time readings.
Then he mentioned that the engine sound was being pumped into the cabin through the speakers and if you wanted to turn that off you could go into settings in the interface.

My question, is that true? I couldn’t find any settings in that deep dive review.

I think with the IS model there is a dial on the far left side you can dial down the sound of the engine but the NX doesn’t have that.

Is there a setting in the infotainment to reduce the engine sounds into the cabin? Would this feature reduce the engine sound at higher speeds like cruising 60-70 mph on the freeway for long periods of driving?
The following users liked this post:
IDK (01-06-24)
Old 01-06-24, 06:39 AM
Xanadu350
Racer

I think I found my answer after searching the forum.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...-in-350-a.html

Apparently the 2023 NX brochure shows the 350 AWD model has the ASC (active sound control) but no one has found a button or adjustment. It must be an automated control? The link to the brochure is in the above thread page 17.
Old 01-06-24, 03:54 PM
makbn
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

NX has the synthesized engine sound coming from the driver door speaker (front No. 1 speaker assembly). I downloaded the TIS (Doc. Id: 1ZDB5) document related to this feature (!), and it is referred to as the Engine Sound Enhancement (ESE) function. It generates the noise based on the accelerator pedal depression amount, vehicle speed, and cabin conditions using the Stereo Component Equalizer Assembly (Doc. Id: 22VEC).

I wasn't able to find anything that controls the level of the generated noise. Still, it seems by changing/modifying the Stereo Component Equalizer Assembly we might be able to turn it off or reduce it. Also, this feature is not exclusive to the F-Sport models or the sport driving mode. Based on the documents, all NXs 250, 350, and 3350h [03/2022 - ] have this feature.
When my partner drives, and I'm on the passenger side, the car feels more premium to me. Hopefully, someone will come up with a solution.
Old 01-06-24, 04:10 PM
midcow3
Racer

Received 531 Likes on 347 Posts
Lightbulb ASC - Fake noise, my RS and most BMWs also have LOL

Like other F Sport models in the Lexus lineup, the 2023 Lexus UX 250h F Sport Handling has a button labeled 'ASC'. This stands for Active Sound Control, which plays augmented sporty engine noises through the speakers as well as artificial shift points of a traditional automatic transmission. Mar 8, 2023

UX 250h https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNge...20transmission.

IS 350
Woop -T-Do

YMMV,
MidCow3

Note : Only UX and IS has this button currently, dropped from NX with Gen 2; Gen 2 NX people are more sophisticated

Last edited by midcow3; 01-06-24 at 04:18 PM.
Old 01-07-24, 08:20 AM
Xanadu350
Racer

Originally Posted by makbn
NX has the synthesized engine sound coming from the driver door speaker (front No. 1 speaker assembly). I downloaded the TIS (Doc. Id: 1ZDB5) document related to this feature (!), and it is referred to as the Engine Sound Enhancement (ESE) function. It generates the noise based on the accelerator pedal depression amount, vehicle speed, and cabin conditions using the Stereo Component Equalizer Assembly (Doc. Id: 22VEC).

I wasn't able to find anything that controls the level of the generated noise. Still, it seems by changing/modifying the Stereo Component Equalizer Assembly we might be able to turn it off or reduce it. Also, this feature is not exclusive to the F-Sport models or the sport driving mode. Based on the documents, all NXs 250, 350, and 3350h [03/2022 - ] have this feature.
When my partner drives, and I'm on the passenger side, the car feels more premium to me. Hopefully, someone will come up with a solution.
Excellent write up and thank you for the diagram. If there was a way to turn off the Engine Sound Enhancement on front # 1 speaker that would be a nice feature. I feel like the actual engine sounds (b) would be enough for this vehicle. It would also help most of these reviews I’m seeing on you tube that say the engine is noisy and buzzy. (In the words of MPH reviewer, not a savory note)

Please let us know if you find a way to disable the ESH on the front speaker 1.
makbn (01-07-24)
Old 01-07-24, 08:24 AM
Xanadu350
Racer

Another question I forgot to mention. What happens with the ESH on that front drivers speaker when say you have the ML sound system playing music? If you floor the NX to pass someone or get up to 60-70 does the ESH override the music? Or does it just add the engine sound enhancement to the music that’s coming out of the speaker? That’s a good question I’d like to know.
Old 01-07-24, 11:29 AM
makbn
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Xanadu350
Another question I forgot to mention. What happens with the ESH on that front drivers speaker when say you have the ML sound system playing music? If you floor the NX to pass someone or get up to 60-70 does the ESH override the music? Or does it just add the engine sound enhancement to the music that’s coming out of the speaker? That’s a good question I’d like to know.
When an audio source sound is input, the sounds are mixed, and output. (Doc. Id: 22VEC)
Old 01-07-24, 02:44 PM
midcow3
Racer

Received 531 Likes on 347 Posts
Exclamation Test the ESM in right front speaker

Excellent write up and thank you for the diagram. If there was a way to turn off the Engine Sound Enhancement on front # 1 speaker that would be a nice feature. I feel like the actual engine sounds (b) would be enough for this vehicle. It would also help most of these reviews I’m seeing on you tube that say the engine is noisy and buzzy. (In the words of MPH reviewer, not a savory note)

Please let us know if you find a way to disable the ESH on the front speaker 1.
You now, a clear test to see if the right front speaker is providing ESM and how much, is to set your balance completely to the Left on the front speakers and probably turn you fader more to the rear.

These days everyone is using fake engine sounds:

The BMW M5, Ford Mustang, and Acura TLX, to name a few, use an active noise control system, which plays pre-recorded engine noises through speakers. Some EVs, including the Porsche Taycan and Tesla Model 3, use fake engine sounds to enhance the driving experience when you press the accelerator. Mar 17, 2023

Ferrari is working on a system to create distinctive noises tied to the actual performance of an EV powertrain, which enables drivers to feel as well as hear realistic vehicle feedback. The supercar maker has also filed for a patent for its device, which could go into its first full-electric model coming in 2025.Feb 18, 2023

Get a Porsche if you want real sound:

The term “sound design” can be somewhat misleading, as it suggests that the sound of the car in action can simply be constructed and played back like a recording. But the song of the Porsche engine is not artificially created; it's authentic, as Pfäfflin emphasizes.

YMMV,
MidCow3
makbn (01-07-24)
Old 01-07-24, 05:54 PM
Xanadu350
Racer

When an audio source sound is input, the sounds are mixed, and output. (Doc. Id: 22VEC)
Thats pretty crappy. There must be a way to turn off the fake engine sound in that drivers door speaker. I wonder if a Lexus certified technician can access this and turn it off at request of the owner?
bt10 (01-08-24)
Old 01-08-24, 05:46 AM
tff
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 39 Posts

As much as I like our 450h+ I sure hope THAT engine sound is not augmented!
Old 01-08-24, 06:45 AM
Xanadu350
Racer

Can you provide a diagram of the Stereo Component Equalizer Assembly (Doc. Id: 22VEC).
Old 01-08-24, 09:49 AM
Droid13
Racer

Received 544 Likes on 381 Posts

IMO the impact of this system is a bit overblown. My car is supposed to have it and frankly I really don't notice it at all. And this system is not simply adding sound over top of the existing engine sounds, its supposed to be doing noise cancellation to suppress unwanted sound frequencies from the cabin too. The engine noise from my NX has a different sound characteristic than the V6 from my RXh, but its not louder or more bothersome at all, just different. I used to say my RXh sounded a bit like an A319 or A320 when taking off, that constant whine of the turbofans reminded me a lot of the constant rpm tone (aka the "hybrid drone") of the RX's hybrid system when accelerating under power too. The NX has a more balanced exhaust note too similar to what Ferraris have better than V6s or North American V8s (compared with a flat plane crank setup Ferrari's use, which make Ferraris sound like Ferraris, except for the latest mid engine Corvettes which I understand also use flat plane cranks). The direct injection system is a bit noisy, but I rarely notice it except while idling in places where echo is possible.
Old 01-23-24, 05:10 AM
Xanadu350
Racer

Has anyone found a setting in the menus to turn off the engine sound enhancement pipped through the front speaker? I know in the BMW X3 they have an option in the idrive menu to reduce the fake sound and a fuse to pull if you want it totally off.

Last edited by Xanadu350; 01-23-24 at 05:14 AM.
Old 01-29-24, 06:06 AM
Zlobix
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Кто-нибудь нашел в меню настройку отключения улучшения звука двигателя, передаваемого через передний динамик? Я знаю, что в BMW X3 в меню idrive есть опция, позволяющая уменьшить фальшивый звук, и предохранитель, который можно отключить, если вы хотите его полностью отключить.
I studied the instructions, especially the table with functions that can be changed through the head unit menu and at the service of an authorized dealer.
There are no such settings.
But I don’t know how to understand whether this function works or not.
I moved the equalizer of the head unit to the rear right side, but the sound of the engine that I hear during sharp acceleration in the cabin has not changed. Maybe the function works regardless of how the equalizer and music volume settings are set?
Old 01-29-24, 12:21 PM
Xanadu350
Racer

Originally Posted by Zlobix
I moved the equalizer of the head unit to the rear right side, but the sound of the engine that I hear during sharp acceleration in the cabin has not changed. Maybe the function works regardless of how the equalizer and music volume settings are set?
Well that goes against what forum member MAKBN who posted above diagram and said the fake engine sound was coming in on the drivers front speaker. He said the interior sounded more premium on the right side passenger.

I wonder if fake sound is coming through all the speakers? Is standard sound system speakers different than ML sound speakers with regard to fake engine sound being pumped into cabin?

I would prefer NOT to have fake engine sound in cabin, I’d prefer natural engine sound which will make cabin quieter.
romer (01-29-24)

Quick Reply: Interior Engine Sound Level Adjustment?