NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

2nd key FOB is availble

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-24, 10:11 AM
kent2174
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts
Default 2nd key FOB is availble

My app says to visit 'a' dealer to obtain second key FOB. So it doesn't need to be the dealer I bought the car from, correct?
Old 01-09-24, 12:51 PM
JasDmw
Advanced

Received 238 Likes on 165 Posts

That's correct, got mine from the local store an hour drive closer to home than the one I purchased from. Just call ahead as I think they need to order it. I did that and scheduled the pick up appointment for 2 weeks out. Up here they throw in a car wash for your trouble, as if that makes up for it.

Be careful, though, with the programming. My 2nd one still doesn't work as advertised. The car is supposed to recognize the driver by the key and set the adjustable bits like seat position, mirrors and others based on preferences programmed. Our car doesn't do that and the local dealership was useless as no one could figure that out. Even a call by me to Lexus Canada Tech support was fruitless. Wife still needs to press the door mounted button to get her settings in place. If you want all that to work properly, ensure the dealer you get the 2nd fob from knows how to program the car properly. And when you do get that done, please tell me how to get mine to work. Unfortunately a trip to your California dealership is not an option.

Last edited by JasDmw; 01-09-24 at 12:54 PM.
Old 01-09-24, 03:00 PM
makbn
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JasDmw
That's correct, got mine from the local store an hour drive closer to home than the one I purchased from. Just call ahead as I think they need to order it. I did that and scheduled the pick up appointment for 2 weeks out. Up here they throw in a car wash for your trouble, as if that makes up for it.

Be careful, though, with the programming. My 2nd one still doesn't work as advertised. The car is supposed to recognize the driver by the key and set the adjustable bits like seat position, mirrors and others based on preferences programmed. Our car doesn't do that and the local dealership was useless as no one could figure that out. Even a call by me to Lexus Canada Tech support was fruitless. Wife still needs to press the door mounted button to get her settings in place. If you want all that to work properly, ensure the dealer you get the 2nd fob from knows how to program the car properly. And when you do get that done, please tell me how to get mine to work. Unfortunately a trip to your California dealership is not an option.
I got my second key (now 2 keys, 1 card, 1 digital key/app). I tried to assign the second key to my partner's profile, and it worked. However, the problem is that all the subscriptions are only on my account (not set to be linked to the car itself). When my partner uses the second key, there is no automatic surround view, map, etc. Basically, there is no subscription on the additional profile. IMO still useless if you can't share the subscriptions. Those things should be linked to the car instead of the driver's profile.
Old 01-09-24, 03:17 PM
midcow3
Racer

Received 566 Likes on 375 Posts
Exclamation profile problems

Originally Posted by makbn
I got my second key (now 2 keys, 1 card, 1 digital key/app). I tried to assign the second key to my partner's profile, and it worked. However, the problem is that all the subscriptions are only on my account (not set to be linked to the car itself). When my partner uses the second key, there is no automatic surround view, map, etc. Basically, there is no subscription on the additional profile. IMO still useless if you can't share the subscriptions. Those things should be linked to the car instead of the driver's profile.
This has been one of the major problems. all along with the 2nd Gen NX. The keys, card, digital key app, phone were all developed by different groups and were only unit tested. There was no overall integration testing. It is even worse if you have multiple Toyota and Lexus vehicles. The Toyota app and the Lexus app behind the logo are actually exactly the same and focus on a SINGLE PHONE NUMBER. You can switch between different vehicles but it is somewhat cumbersome. Lexus also did not integrate multiple profiles well at all as you are experiencing. Sorry you are having issues, a lot of other people have the same issues. Maybe Lexus will fix the problem soon with a software update, but don't hold your breath.

YMMV,
MidCow3
The following users liked this post:
makbn (01-09-24)
Old 01-10-24, 05:42 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 576 Likes on 407 Posts

Can't you create another profile for your spouse and log both profiles in the car (2 separate profiles under 2 separate Lexus accounts on app) Then link the specific key to each profile?

I have 3 separate profiles on RX and based on phone or facial Camera in RX it recognizes who is driving and logs that person in automatically.
Old 01-10-24, 09:37 AM
JasDmw
Advanced

Received 238 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by toyotaman7
Can't you create another profile for your spouse and log both profiles in the car (2 separate profiles under 2 separate Lexus accounts on app) Then link the specific key to each profile?.
That's done, car has 2 profiles programmed in, both keys linked to each respective profile. Still the car will not automatically set the programmed features/settings when either of us enters the car. I did notice that the colour I had chosen for my Wifes' profile did change, but none of the important stuff (seats, mirrors, steering wheel).

I only have 1 account on the app, though. Can anyone confirm for me if 2 accounts are necessary? My understanding is it should not be as you can set up multiple profiles in each account..
Old 01-10-24, 09:43 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 576 Likes on 407 Posts

Originally Posted by JasDmw
That's done, car has 2 profiles programmed in, both keys linked to each respective profile. Still the car will not automatically set the programmed features/settings when either of us enters the car. I did notice that the colour I had chosen for my Wifes' profile did change, but none of the important stuff (seats, mirrors, steering wheel).

I only have 1 account on the app, though. Can anyone confirm for me if 2 accounts are necessary? My understanding is it should not be as you can set up multiple profiles in each account..
I'm not sure how you created 2 profiles with only 1 account.

On RX you need a separate App user ID in order to create a different profile.

The car then matches that to the profile on the app.

I think All settings are stored on cloud tied to the user profile on the app.
Old 01-10-24, 03:51 PM
lexsc4
Instructor

Received 193 Likes on 156 Posts

Yep, bought my wife's 2024 350h in April 2023 400 miles from home. 8 months later got the 2nd key fob from my local dealer while getting the 5K service done.
Old 01-10-24, 06:00 PM
sandiegolexusowner
10th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Bought mine Thanksgiving week and just picked up my second key today. Got the notification on the app two weeks ago.
Old 01-11-24, 09:56 PM
Lead Lap

Received 783 Likes on 532 Posts

2nd key? Third key is where it is at.

Old 01-11-24, 10:00 PM
midcow3
Racer

Question

Originally Posted by sandiegolexusowner
Bought mine Thanksgiving week and just picked up my second key today. Got the notification on the app two weeks ago.
Did you have to have dealer order you fob after you got the notice ?

The reason I ask is because the Service Campaign 23TJ01 - Second Key Delivery Program states the Remedy is "Any authorized Lexus dealer will duplicate and provide the owner one(1) additional Smart Key FREE OF CHARGE" It says nothing about ordering a key.

YMMV,
MidCow3

Last edited by midcow3; 01-11-24 at 10:04 PM.
Old 01-12-24, 11:03 AM
kent2174
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

The message seems to indicate dealers have fobs in stock.....hmmm
Old 01-12-24, 04:28 PM
sandiegolexusowner
10th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by midcow3
Did you have to have dealer order you fob after you got the notice ?

The reason I ask is because the Service Campaign 23TJ01 - Second Key Delivery Program states the Remedy is "Any authorized Lexus dealer will duplicate and provide the owner one(1) additional Smart Key FREE OF CHARGE" It says nothing about ordering a key.

YMMV,
MidCow3
No idea they just scheduled me for two weeks after I called them.
Old 02-14-24, 05:58 PM
oreon333
Pit Crew

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

I think things are getting better with 2nd keys, and people are getting them sooner and sooner. We started with people waiting for 6 month or more for their 2nd fob, now we are down to 3 month maybe even sooner. I got my car in December, got an email a month later saying that my second fob will be available to pickup in March. So maybe sometimes later this year people will finally be getting 2 key fobs when they picking up their vehicle, and do not have to wait for months and month.
Old 02-14-24, 06:08 PM
midcow3
Racer

Angry Still over 4 months

Originally Posted by oreon333
I think things are getting better with 2nd keys, and people are getting them sooner and sooner. We started with people waiting for 6 month or more for their 2nd fob, now we are down to 3 month maybe even sooner. I got my car in December, got an email a month later saying that my second fob will be available to pickup in March. So maybe sometimes later this year people will finally be getting 2 key fobs when they picking up their vehicle, and do not have to wait for months and month.
Took me from September 15, 2023 to January 27, 2024 .. Still a little over 4 months for second Prius key.

Another gotcha: the Toyota app and the Lexus app are exactly the same and are all based on a single phone number. Try putting 4 cars on one app Lexus/Toyota are so backwards on profile and key management.

Quick Reply: 2nd key FOB is availble