Paint Protection Film

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-24, 08:38 PM
websurfer
Racer

Received 330 Likes on 258 Posts
Default Paint Protection Film

Hey All,

Just curious how many people install PPF (Paint Protection Film) on the NX?

I had it on the GS but NX is higher up. So I'm thinking the hood and headlights but got quoted $800 (US) already. Wondering if that's really needed.

Last edited by websurfer; 01-10-24 at 11:03 PM.
Old 01-11-24, 05:52 AM
Droid13
Racer

Received 599 Likes on 419 Posts

Entire front half plus mirrors and door handle cups on the doors plus part of the rear near the lift gate.

I had some PPF on my RX but only half the hood and half of the fenders, so guess what, all the paint damage happened to the unprotected parts while the covered areas remained perfect after almost 14 yrs. It was the definition of "half-assed" job
Old 01-11-24, 06:13 AM
Pandaroo
Driver

Received 41 Likes on 23 Posts

Ppf is the best protection against rock chips and usually the most expensive option.

If you drive a lot highway or crappy roads, and you are willing to spend, by all means do it. If you are going to do mostly urban driving, imo save your money.
Old 01-11-24, 06:14 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,157 Likes on 747 Posts

2023 NX 350h and did the front bumper, headlights and mirrors. Angle of the hood IMO did not require it there. Did not want to do the whole hood and did not want a line across with a partial. Every other vehicle got a partial hood but they all had more of a slope and had more frontal area exposed.

Last edited by Freds430; 01-11-24 at 04:49 PM.
Old 01-11-24, 06:16 AM
JasDmw
Advanced

Received 243 Likes on 167 Posts

I have it installed on front end, 1/2 way up the hood, mirror backs, door handle cups and rear bumper by the hatch. 2 weeks after installation, I noticed it had already paid off; rocks had damaged the film on the front end and hood. When I lived in Calgary, where they used small pebbles mixed with sand and salt (call pickle) on the roads in winter, most cars have full front end, up the A pillars and across the front edge of the roof too.
Old 01-11-24, 06:30 AM
Droid13
Racer

Received 599 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by JasDmw
When I lived in Calgary, where they used small pebbles mixed with sand and salt (call pickle) on the roads in winter, most cars have full front end, up the A pillars and across the front edge of the roof too.
Yes, wise. By the time I was done with my RX it had several significant rock chips upper hood, plus a couple up the pillar and along the top edge of the windshield, and in my parts they don't use sand in winter, only salt or that pre-storm liquid spray stuff, whatever that is (but I'm pretty sure its not free rust proofing for cars). I did not protect my pillars or top edge on NX because I figure after 14 yrs in RX if I only got two, that's not too bad, but the upper hood, while not quite taking the same beating as the front bumper or front hood edge, still took its share of impacts.
Old 01-11-24, 08:32 AM
kent2174
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

I had PPF installed on my 2024 NX350h Luxury cloud burst gray.
It is Xpel ultimate plus covering side mirrors, hood, front fenders, and all bumper areas including shiny plastics. Price was $2,000 at Advance Auto Engineering in Fullerton California.
For my previous 2016 NX Fsport, I had only the hood done, which i was always sorry I didn't do entire front end. You can not see any edges, hood has the film folded under at the edges.
I like PPF because its one less paint area I need to worry about scratching/swirls. The film is self healing they say. I only need to use Xpel Ceramic boost spray to seal every 6 months for protection, however I use it after every hand wash every 3 weeks.
The following users liked this post:
websurfer (01-11-24)
Old 01-11-24, 10:52 AM
romer
Intermediate

Received 158 Likes on 109 Posts

I always have the PPF applied to cars. My NX350h has the full front bumper, Partial application to the front fenders and hood. As well as the back of the mirrors. I had ceramic tinting applied to the front windows while they were at it. As I recall--total was roughly $1100.00 at a shop I've used for years.
websurfer (01-11-24)
Old 01-11-24, 03:49 PM
websurfer
Racer

Received 330 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by kent2174
I had PPF installed on my 2024 NX350h Luxury cloud burst gray.
It is Xpel ultimate plus covering side mirrors, hood, front fenders, and all bumper areas including shiny plastics. Price was $2,000 at Advance Auto Engineering in Fullerton California.
For my previous 2016 NX Fsport, I had only the hood done, which i was always sorry I didn't do entire front end. You can not see any edges, hood has the film folded under at the edges.
I like PPF because its one less paint area I need to worry about scratching/swirls. The film is self healing they say. I only need to use Xpel Ceramic boost spray to seal every 6 months for protection, however I use it after every hand wash every 3 weeks.
The PPF shop mentioned $800 for hood and headlights and it's $1700 for front bumper. I found from my past experience, I didn't get any rock chip on the side fenders but on bumper, headlights and hood only.
Old 02-14-24, 06:13 PM
oreon333
Pit Crew

Received 102 Likes on 76 Posts

Just to be on the safe side, I installed the protection package that they offered me at the dealer for like $850, which covers side mirrors, like 35% of hood, front fenders, and all bumper areas including shiny plastics. So basically everything facing headwind is covered. Better be safe than sorry ;-)
Old 02-14-24, 06:19 PM
midcow3
Racer

Received 636 Likes on 421 Posts
Cool PPF greatm but don't forget ceramic coating

PPF especially front bumper and at least partial hood is great but do not forget to do ceramic coating. Professional ceramic coating for all external is best.

PPF protects. Ceramic coating makes you car pop and look outstanding all the time. Rumor has it; it also reduces CD by .05

YMMV,

MidCow3
Old 02-14-24, 06:24 PM
oreon333
Pit Crew

Oh yeah before they installed that PPF I covered the whole car with Cerakote Ceramic Coating myself, that way the PPF is laying on top on ceramic coating. So far everything is looking sleek and neat ;-)
midcow3 (02-14-24)
Old 02-14-24, 07:10 PM
Lexicon1
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

From the Expel website....

Can I Have XPEL Paint Protection Film Installed On Top Of My Ceramic Coating?

We would not recommend this, as it may result in poor adhesion to the painted surfaces. Professional removal of the ceramic coating is recommended. You may install XPEL FUSION PLUS on top of your XPEL Paint Protection Film. Check with your local installer for more details.
Old 02-14-24, 07:31 PM
Lexicon1
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Had Expel installed. Full hood, mirrors, front bumper, larger areas of the grill, headlight and front part of the front fender. Gravel and rocks will get you sooner or later......
Old 02-14-24, 07:44 PM
oreon333
Pit Crew

Gee now I got to watch that clear bra fly off the hood on a highway or something haha Well it has a warranty, so I can always just go back and say no idea what happened, it did not stick well I guess, not my fault... put another one lol Still, something is better than nothing, my Hyundai has a ton of rock chips up front from years and years of driving. At least there will be some cushion between the hood and the rocks and something for them to land on haha

Quick Reply: Paint Protection Film