NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

DIY: NX450h+ Dashboard Speakers & Subwoofer Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-24, 07:25 PM
musicthebee
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Trim

Do I need to to take out the trim panels out to take the subwoofer out?

Thank you
Originally Posted by tdlnfm
Sub fitted with 4 bolts, I think you missed the left on pics (ML and non ML sub. from Atomiclexus.)
Old 01-25-24, 07:48 PM
tdlnfm
Driver

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Not necessary just a flexible hand.
The following users liked this post:
musicthebee (01-25-24)
Old 01-25-24, 08:28 PM
musicthebee
7th Gear

Default What subwoofer

Thank you. Do you think AP8SR would work without any modifications? If not, what others do you suggest. Also, any advice on the amps to use?

Thank you so much!
Old 01-26-24, 02:41 AM
tdlnfm
Driver

Originally Posted by musicthebee
Thank you. Do you think AP8SR would work without any modifications? If not, what others do you suggest. Also, any advice on the amps to use?

Thank you so much!
AP8SR is one of the best speakers in its category, but I don't think you should bother with it, not worth the work. I have written on other tread: after half a year of testing, I can say that there are two big problems with OEM sub box project: 1. The light, plastic box is not suitable for serving powerful speakers. 2. A little, 8" subwoofer is not enough for this car, minimum 10" one with a power amp of over 200W is needed. (At least if you listen to music while driving, not in the garage...) Trust me, you need a separate strong box, with 10" or 12" sub with a 300-500W RMS digital amplifier driven from OEM sub output, including subsonic filter. That is my suggestion.
Old 01-26-24, 05:47 AM
musicthebee
7th Gear

Default Okay

Thanks a lot. If it's a simple replacement of woofer with the factory box, I want to give it a try. Does APS8R fit well or do you need modifications? If it doesn't, is there any other that fits without modification. I am not looking for a lot of bass but clear bass and hence want to try. Also don't want to mod the car.

Thank you for your help to the community!
Old 01-26-24, 07:51 AM
Lexicon1
Advanced

Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

Tdlnfm,

Agree that If your music is mainly low bass/very low frequency heavy in content, then you're going to need more bass impact.

what type of music do you listen to that needs the 10-12 inch woofer. ?
Old 01-26-24, 12:44 PM
tdlnfm
Driver

Originally Posted by musicthebee
Thanks a lot. If it's a simple replacement of woofer with the factory box, I want to give it a try. Does APS8R fit well or do you need modifications? If it doesn't, is there any other that fits without modification. I am not looking for a lot of bass but clear bass and hence want to try. Also don't want to mod the car.

Thank you for your help to the community!
The APS8R is a bit tighter (less qts) than the APS8D, it was originally designed for ported box, but ideal for Lexus's sealed OEM cavity.. That volume (approx 20L) a little much for 8D. Do not hook too big amplifier, 150-200W RMS is enough, and the subsonic filter is very important. Under speaker a spacer ring necessery and must to meld the corner inside for bigger magnet. In the end you must to use a 5th bolt to reduce box vibration.

Melding marked with X

A lot of dumping

The ready box with APS8D

musicthebee (01-26-24)
Old 01-26-24, 01:33 PM
tdlnfm
Driver

Originally Posted by Lexicon1
Tdlnfm,

Agree that If your music is mainly low bass/very low frequency heavy in content, then you're going to need more bass impact.

what type of music do you listen to that needs the 10-12 inch woofer. ?
I listen to everything from classical to pop, but the problem is independent from genre. The fact that the cabin space of the NX is large, and the 8" sub is only for a small car, it does not move enough air (displacement is squarely proportional to the membrane diameter). The other is the OEM sub under the trunk, which slows down the air movement. I am sure this car needs a bigger, stronger sub, that is at least a 10".
musicthebee (01-26-24)
Old 01-26-24, 06:24 PM
musicthebee
7th Gear

Thank you so much for your help!
Old 01-27-24, 03:02 AM
midcow3
Racer

Received 531 Likes on 347 Posts
Lightbulb Hertz

Hertz makes some the best replacement speakers around. The have an excellent 8 inch subwoofer:

https://hertz-audio.com/product/car-...l_show-sv200l/

However, IMHO, many people place too much emphasis on the subwoofer and significant improvement in sound can be made by upgrading your mid-range speakers. Hertz makes excellent mid-range and coaxial speaker replacements which will significantly improve your sound. See: https://hertz-audio.com/collections/car-audio-speakers/

Good Luck, I have been the audio upgrade route many times before. This time I chose ML

YMMV,
MidCow3
Old 01-27-24, 11:56 AM
tdlnfm
Driver

Midcow:Title of the topic also suggests that the two weakest points of the NX's hi-fi are the dashboard speakers and the subwoofer. I replaced all of them and found it much more convincing to replace the sub, although it required a separate amplifier. You know, Hertz and Audison have the same manufacturer, and Audison is the music, premium version...
I'm still of the opinion that an 8" subwoofer is only for small cars and not just because of the volume (dynamic, transient, pounding, life etc. too) Unfortunately, the ML also has no real bass and is built from the same crappy Pioneer speakers.

Last edited by tdlnfm; 01-27-24 at 12:04 PM.
Old 01-27-24, 01:09 PM
andy820305
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the non ML system. I want to replace my dashboard speakers, but without changing the amps and other parts. Is the Alpine s2 the best I can get? or you guys have other suggestions?
Old 03-07-24, 03:36 PM
Yuvaraja
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need to change my car (NX450h plus) speakers and subwoofer as well. Suggestions pl!

Originally Posted by a2023LC500
Here you go for sharing.

Mine is a 2022 450h+ without the Mark Levinson System.
Purchased mine CPO with 7K miles a month ago.
First order of business is audio system.

Just like most cars, the stock speakers are just plain crap. Muddy, dull sounding, lifeless.
Reached out to Crutchfield, per their database / installation master sheet, front dashboard speakers are 3.5".
Well that is incorrect. Front corners & center speakers are all 4".

Stock subwoofer is also mediocre at best.
Magnet is so small, entire assembly after I removed it weighed about a pound.

So I replaced all 3 dashboard speakers and replaced the trunk subwoofer and it is night and day difference.
Sound is now crisp, clear and alive.

Amazing tight bass from Infinity Basslink Mini.
Even my boss at home is very impressed in the improvement of sound.

Tip, before replacing speakers, set all your tone controls to flat/center.Summary:

1) Front dashboard speakers (corners and center speakers) are not 3.5".
All three are 4".

Perfect fit are Alpine S2-S40 midrange speakers.
Installer will need to break off the two extra side speaker mounting tabs.

2) Tool required for speaker screws are 10mm, not 7mm.

3) Metra speaker connector adapters 72-8109 works on all locations including subwoofer speaker connector.

4) A very good subwoofer that will fit in the original subwoofer location is Infinity Basslink Mini.

Remove the original sub, mount the Infinity basslink on the same location.
Installer will need to drill

Alpine S2-S40 4inch midrange speaker

Stock subwoofer

Stock subwoofer
Old 03-07-24, 04:19 PM
dc88
Rookie

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Yuvaraja
I need to change my car (NX450h plus) speakers and subwoofer as well. Suggestions pl!

Hi Yuvaraja,

There's another thread here that has a lot of good useful information about speakers and subwoofers options.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...woofer-12.html
Old 03-30-24, 12:21 PM
Zlobix
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Replaced all three speakers on the front panel with 4 inch Kenwood speakers.The sound has become very good, I have an audio system without Mark Levinson.All that remains is to install an amplifier for the standard subwoofer.
tdlnfm (03-30-24)

Quick Reply: DIY: NX450h+ Dashboard Speakers & Subwoofer Replacement