NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

NX cargo door sill??

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-24, 01:17 PM
websurfer
Racer

Received 312 Likes on 244 Posts
Default NX cargo door sill??

Anyone has install the cargo door sill on their NX?

Anyone have the instructions, I'm wondering if it's hard to install or it's useful.

Does it have the power plugs already? I'm waiting for my new NX and looking at extras that it didn't come with.

Last edited by websurfer; 01-19-24 at 10:06 PM.
Old 01-19-24, 06:39 PM
jatwell
Pit Crew

Received 63 Likes on 46 Posts

If you are talking about the rubber strip at the top of the bumper, mine was already installed. It’s a rubber strip that appears to have an adhesive bottom so I doubt it’s difficult. Useful if you drag stuff in and out of the back. My old car looked like it got in a fight with a tiger back there. With the strip on mine it’s looks pristine.
Old 01-19-24, 08:07 PM
websurfer
Racer

Originally Posted by jatwell
If you are talking about the rubber strip at the top of the bumper, mine was already installed. It’s a rubber strip that appears to have an adhesive bottom so I doubt it’s difficult. Useful if you drag stuff in and out of the back. My old car looked like it got in a fight with a tiger back there. With the strip on mine it’s looks pristine.
No, I'm talking about the cargo metal door sill. I've updated the original post with more details.

The other one is rear bumper protector.

Thanks.

Last edited by websurfer; 01-19-24 at 10:06 PM.
Old 01-20-24, 05:16 AM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 107 Posts

I think the illumination looks awesome. I’ve seen it in person on the IS350 and really adds a more premium look to the cargo trunk area on the IS. I’m sure it works the same for the NX. I would assume it’s all prewired. As the dealer once told me that if a car coming in doesn’t have illuminated door plates or trunk sills and you want it that it can be installed at the port before it gets to the dealer.
The following users liked this post:
BWag2023 (01-22-24)
Old 01-20-24, 08:51 AM
websurfer
Racer

Originally Posted by Xanadu350
I think the illumination looks awesome. I’ve seen it in person on the IS350 and really adds a more premium look to the cargo trunk area on the IS. I’m sure it works the same for the NX. I would assume it’s all prewired. As the dealer once told me that if a car coming in doesn’t have illuminated door plates or trunk sills and you want it that it can be installed at the port before it gets to the dealer.
My dealer indicated it's too late to make changes. If it's prewired, I can easily add the feature. Anyone have done the installation?
Old 01-20-24, 11:06 AM
StefanoS
Intermediate

Received 205 Likes on 134 Posts

My wife's new NX 450h+ has both the lighted sill plate and the rubber protective strip on it. I can't really say that either are of any real value, especially in light of what they add to the Monroney sticker. When I installed a hitch to her car, I removed this plate, which was quite easy to do, in order to install the wiring harness for the hitch. There's just a single plug and I am fairly certain that all NX wiring harnesses will have this plug back there. It would be a simple install, plug and play. They were both on the car when we picked it up but, I could live without both of them.
websurfer (01-20-24)
Old 01-20-24, 01:55 PM
websurfer
Racer

Originally Posted by StefanoS
My wife's new NX 450h+ has both the lighted sill plate and the rubber protective strip on it. I can't really say that either are of any real value, especially in light of what they add to the Monroney sticker. When I installed a hitch to her car, I removed this plate, which was quite easy to do, in order to install the wiring harness for the hitch. There's just a single plug and I am fairly certain that all NX wiring harnesses will have this plug back there. It would be a simple install, plug and play. They were both on the car when we picked it up but, I could live without both of them.
Interesting answer. We always scratch that area so we are wondering about if it's worthwhile.
Old 01-20-24, 02:00 PM
StefanoS
Intermediate

Understood. I share your concern. If I am loading something in the back that may scratch or rub against that area, I just throw an old towel over the area so I don't have the potential to scratch it. My RX did not come with either of these two "features" and I won't be adding them to the rear. The Monroney sticker on the NX shows $300 for the lighted cargo sill and $130 for that skinny strip of rubber. While the cargo area can be dark, I found a replacement LED for the liftgate which is pretty nice. It's like a small floodlight and was inexpensive on eBay, from Taiwan. https://www.ebay.com/itm/334865243032

Last edited by StefanoS; 01-20-24 at 02:09 PM.
AmyInTX (01-22-24)
Old 01-20-24, 02:10 PM
websurfer
Racer

Originally Posted by StefanoS
Understood. I share your concern. If I am loading something in the back that may scratch or rub against that area, I just throw an old towel over the area so I don't have the potential to scratch it. My RX did not come with either of these two "features" and I won't be adding them to the rear. The Monroney sticker on the NX shows $300 for the lighted cargo sill and $130 for that skinny strip of rubber. While the cargo area can be dark, I found a replacement LED for the liftgate which is pretty nice. It's like a small floodlight and was inexpensive on eBay, from Taiwan. https://www.ebay.com/itm/334865243032
I'm undecided on the small rear bumper strip piece. I don't think it will help much IMO. Our RX has a number of scratches on the plastic piece. It surely stands out.
Old 01-20-24, 02:39 PM
StefanoS
Intermediate

I agree. It's very narrow and once the liftgate is open, there's a sloped painted area that is exposed so, I don't think it does much good.
Old 01-21-24, 06:27 AM
Droid13
Racer

Received 546 Likes on 383 Posts

I have the illuminated door sills, which I imagine are very similar. They look great, but the metal is soft, scuffs very easily.
Old 01-21-24, 03:14 PM
websurfer
Racer

Originally Posted by Droid13
I have the illuminated door sills, which I imagine are very similar. They look great, but the metal is soft, scuffs very easily.
Interesting. Thanks for sharing.
Old 03-07-24, 07:31 PM
Perc
10th Gear

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I noticed this connector last weekend while ripping out all the plastics for a subwoofer installation.
I did end up removing the chrome piece and just below where I've indicated with the orange arrow was an unused connector.
All the plastics come out fairly easily and without tools.
I suspect this connector would be for the illuminated cargo door sill.

The following 2 users liked this post by Perc:
asteria (03-20-24), websurfer (03-07-24)
Old 03-07-24, 10:53 PM
websurfer
Racer

Originally Posted by Perc
I noticed this connector last weekend while ripping out all the plastics for a subwoofer installation.
I did end up removing the chrome piece and just below where I've indicated with the orange arrow was an unused connector.

Nice find. thanks.
Old 03-08-24, 08:03 AM
StefanoS
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Perc

That is exactly what the plug is for. When I was running the trailer wiring harness across to the right side taillight on my wife's NX450h+, I had to disconnect the lighted sill plate in order to temporarily remove it. The lighted sill is really a pretty useless "feature" on these vehicles. If I didn't have it, I would not miss it at all. It provides very little light and I already know that this car is a Lexus so, I don't need to be reminded of it each time the lift gate is opened. The upgraded LED that I installed on the lift gate provides the much needed light in the cargo area.
The following 2 users liked this post by StefanoS:
gamma742 (03-08-24), websurfer (03-08-24)

Quick Reply: NX cargo door sill??