NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

No Android Auto directions on HUD

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-24 | 08:54 AM
timothytsa
Driver School Candidate

Default No Android Auto directions on HUD

I never see map directions on my NX-450+ heads-up display when using Android Auto. When my daughter connects her iPhone and uses Apple Maps with CarPlay, she see directions on the HUD. Is there any way to get the Google Maps with Android Auto directions to show up on the HUD?
Old 01-23-24 | 05:35 PM
gamma742
Intermediate

Have your daughter try using Google Maps with Apple CarPlay.. Does that show up on the HUD?
Old 01-23-24 | 07:35 PM
lsft
Racer

Originally Posted by gamma742
Have your daughter try using Google Maps with Apple CarPlay.. Does that show up on the HUD?
Only Apple Maps show on the HUD. I don't think I've seen the directions show up in the HUD on Android apps. It's on the multi media display, but not HUD.
Old 01-23-24 | 09:08 PM
Pandaroo
Driver

Yeah google maps directions don't show up on the HUD.

However, you can see the directions in the digital instrument cluster.

Must be a softwares interaction or licensing issue.
Old 01-24-24 | 11:42 AM
GoneSkiing
Rookie

on my iPhone, only Apple Maps shows up in the HUD. I typically use Google Maps on my iPhone and it does not show up.
Old 01-25-24 | 09:14 AM
timothytsa
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the feedback and experiences. I couldn't try out Google Maps on CarPlay, since my daughter doesn't have Google Maps installed due to not enough storage on her phone.

I have also noticed that other messaging apps are available on CarPlay but not on Android Auto. Too bad.
Old 01-25-24 | 09:39 AM
Droid13
Racer

Originally Posted by timothytsa
I have also noticed that other messaging apps are available on CarPlay but not on Android Auto. Too bad.
Not sure which you are missing, as most of the major messaging platforms are supported on AA (Text Msgs, WhapsApp, FB Messenger, Teams, etc.), but just as an FYI (just in case), in AA you can customize which AA apps actually will appear when using AA. As well, if your phone has been configured with a partitioned work account zone on your phone (ie apps installed by your employer in a separate zone with a sort of firewall between them and your personal apps), you also need to turn on access to any apps in this zone for them to appear. In my case for example, I use MS Teams from my "work partition" in AA. If you are talking about generic 3rd party apps that work with multiple services, yea, those will be dependent on each app developer.
Old 01-25-24 | 09:42 AM
timothytsa
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Droid13
Not sure which you are missing, as most of the major messaging platforms are supported on AA (Text Msgs, WhapsApp, FB Messenger, Teams, etc.)
The missing app for me is the Line app. I did some Google searching, and it appears that the app authors are not supporting Android Auto.
Old 01-25-24 | 09:52 AM
Droid13
Racer

Originally Posted by timothytsa
The missing app for me is the Line app. I did some Google searching, and it appears that the app authors are not supporting Android Auto.
Yes, exactly. Not only the programming time but those 3rd party developers also need to submit their apps for testing and approval to Google before then can be authorized for AA use, in some cases they can't be bothered. Back in the day I was building apps for Google Play store and in those days you could slap together just about anything with little oversight, but not so much anymore. Takes some additional effort especially for AA.