NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

Wiring for trailer

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-24, 08:19 AM
neisser
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring for trailer

I had a hitch installed and bout a harness kit for my 2022 350h. Has anyone installed a harness? Any issues or tricks?
Old 01-28-24, 09:51 AM
StefanoS
Intermediate

Received 233 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by neisser
I had a hitch installed and bout a harness kit for my 2022 350h. Has anyone installed a harness? Any issues or tricks?
I bought the Curt 59236 harness, which comes with easy T-type splice connectors, easy to install with a pair of pliers. I got everything connected after probing the left taillight connections and doing the final test with the 4-way tester on the plug end. Everything lit up or flashed, as it was supposed to so, I guess that I am ready to tow. BTW, I tried a plug and play harness for a RAV4 and it's a no-go. The plug connections are totally different. The Curt kit was pretty easy and everything works fine. I bought the Draw-Tire hitch for my NX, as the Curt hitch cross bar hangs down below the bumper cover a bit.

The following users liked this post:
FireFire (07-30-24)
Old 01-28-24, 10:21 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 602 Likes on 420 Posts

Lexus sells a plug and play wiring harness kit, without splicing any of the cars wires. It comes with the converter you will need.
The following users liked this post:
kenleystunts (01-29-24)
Old 01-29-24, 02:36 PM
kenleystunts
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used the oem harness, only pita was running the auxiliary power cable to the battery located in the under the hood(non hybrid version)
other than that it was easy
Old 02-01-24, 07:37 AM
tbartman67
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Can you tell us any more about this? Part number? Where to get it? There seems to be a lot of confusion about it. Does it require some huge teardown in the trunk to access everything it needs? (I have a hybrid, so luckily I have access to the battery right there)
Old 02-01-24, 09:03 AM
kenleystunts
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tbartman67
Can you tell us any more about this? Part number? Where to get it? There seems to be a lot of confusion about it. Does it require some huge teardown in the trunk to access everything it needs? (I have a hybrid, so luckily I have access to the battery right there)
Part number below…found it in this forum so you could search more info I think the title is Trailer Hitch

It wasn’t too bad, took me 4 hours and that included 1 hour of figuring out how to use the hybrid wiring on a non hybrid. Cause I ordered the wrong one

OEM

PT725-78221 Towing Wire Harness (Hybrid only)
I don’t remember the non hybrid part number but I made the hybrid work on mine by extending the battery wires(only thing that’s different)

PW960-78005 Towing Hitch Kit
8910A-78010 Liftgate Motion Sensor
Old 02-01-24, 10:46 AM
StefanoS
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tbartman67
I installed the Curt 59236 harness which did not require any significant teardown and only removal of the left rear inside panel in addition to the cargo floor modules.
Installation was straight forward. No wire cutting was required, as the splicing is done with T-type connectors that just crimp on with pliers. Works like a charm. I installed the Draw-Tite hitch on my NX

Last edited by StefanoS; 02-01-24 at 11:57 AM.
Old 02-01-24, 11:34 AM
tbartman67
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for the info! I'm glad you were able to do it, but I don't consider 4 hours and having to majorly disassemble the car a minor job! Not going to do it. It's a pity, because my 2010 RX350 had wires under the body and all I needed was the right adapter to go to a 4-flat plug. Cost $25 and took <15 seconds. Why do they make this such a pain in the butt? Do they think no one ever wants to tow a trailer?

I do have the DrawTite hitch on there which was not too hard to do with a few extra hands, and it stays nicely out of the way. I use it mostly for my bike rack (which has a 2" form), but there may be a time I want to pull a small UHaul and would like the wiring.

I'll look into the option the next guy posted!
Old 07-30-24, 10:42 AM
FireFire
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by StefanoS
I bought the Curt 59236 harness, which comes with easy T-type splice connectors, easy to install with a pair of pliers. I got everything connected after probing the left taillight connections and doing the final test with the 4-way tester on the plug end. Everything lit up or flashed, as it was supposed to so, I guess that I am ready to tow. BTW, I tried a plug and play harness for a RAV4 and it's a no-go. The plug connections are totally different. The Curt kit was pretty easy and everything works fine. I bought the Draw-Tire hitch for my NX, as the Curt hitch cross bar hangs down below the bumper cover a bit.
I would like to do the same using th Curt 59236. Could you please share the location for the connections if you still have those photos?

Old 07-30-24, 11:30 AM
StefanoS
Intermediate

Originally Posted by FireFire
I would like to do the same using th Curt 59236. Could you please share the location for the connections if you still have those photos?
I do not have any photos but, did your NX original invoice state that you have a towing package? Many Canadian purchasers have stated that all Canadian models have the towing package. If this is the case, all you would need is the tow converter from Lexus (about US $120) and the pigtail (Curt 56083).
Old 07-30-24, 11:43 AM
FireFire
10th Gear

Not sure... I have the base NX450h+ which shows ULTRA Premium Grade on the invoice. Where should I look for the towing package word?
Old 07-30-24, 11:47 AM
StefanoS
Intermediate

Originally Posted by FireFire
Not sure... I have the base NX450h+ which shows ULTRA Premium Grade on the invoice. Where should I look for the towing package word?
I am not certain as I do not believe that Canada requires the same type of window sticker (Monroney sticker) that the US does. This double page disclosure shows all of the installed options, both factory and port installed and their respective costs.
Old 07-30-24, 12:17 PM
FireFire
10th Gear

I will reach out to the dealership to see if they can pull it from the system... Good luck! Thank you for your help.
Old 08-01-24, 01:10 PM
FireFire
10th Gear

Dealer has no information about this anymore. I have to dig into it myself.
I found one socket inside the bumper looks open to connect but I don't think that's the one and I guess there is no OEM way for me.

Maybe just order the Curt 59236 harness and put the connector inside the trunk when I am not towing. Save time to remove/reinstall the rear bumper.
Old 09-08-24, 07:30 PM
dragonfly14
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just did this myself, went with drawtite hitch and Tekonsha 119250 ZCI Zero Contact Interface Universal ModuLite wiring harness.

I really don't like the idea of splicing into the wiring harness after I saw Toyota denying warranty due to "harness damage"

The hardest part for me was figuring out how to remove the two side panels in the rear on my 450h+

There is a small push pin that must be pushed in while pulling on the panel hidden under the plastic bag hooks. I broke one to find out how it worked.

I'm not sure how the rest of you figured out how to disassemble the car, I couldn't find any relevant information after quite a bit of googling. Hats off to all who have succeeded.

Quick Reply: Wiring for trailer