NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

APPLE CARPLAY: The Case Of Missing Songs

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-24 | 06:35 PM
NX450Guy
Pit Crew

Default APPLE CARPLAY: The Case Of Missing Songs

For those of you who have iPhones and listen to music via Apple CarPlay in your NX. I seem to only have half the songs on my playlist actually show up in CarPlay. I can see them and play them on my phone, but when I’m in my car, half of them are grayed out. Anyone know what’s going on?
Old 02-04-24 | 07:19 PM
HarleyWho
9th Gear

I have the same problem so I'm also interested in any solutions. I've wasted WAY too much time trying to correct the problem.
Old 02-05-24 | 04:25 AM
Xanadu350
Racer

My guess is either the music file is corrupt or it doesn’t recognize the extension of the file. Are these mp3’s, aac? mp4? Flac? Wav?
Old 02-05-24 | 06:03 AM
Droid13
Racer

Originally Posted by Xanadu350
My guess is either the music file is corrupt or it doesn’t recognize the extension of the file. Are these mp3’s, aac? mp4? Flac? Wav?
Yes, this may be something to consider. I'm not certain how ACP or AA handles audio, but unlike a lower bandwidth BT connection where I believe the audio file is decoded by the phone, its possible with the higher bandwidth connection of ACP or AA that the file is simply transferred to the car system and it becomes responsible for decoding the file. If that is the case, it could mean that the phone is capable of playing the file, but the car might not necessarily be able to. All just a guess on my part, but something you can check to see if its the problem. Interesting either way...
Old 02-07-24 | 10:50 AM
HarleyWho
9th Gear

Thanks for info - I will look into what type of file the missing songs are.
Old 02-24-24 | 11:52 PM
NX450Guy
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by NX450Guy
For those of you who have iPhones and listen to music via Apple CarPlay in your NX. I seem to only have half the songs on my playlist actually show up in CarPlay. I can see them and play them on my phone, but when I’m in my car, half of them are grayed out. Anyone know what’s going on?
Figured out what the problem is, and the fix is simple:

This is my iPhone. I downloaded a playlist for my car. Notice the last song, The Gambler, doesn’t have that little grey circle to the right of it like the other titles above (didn’t want anyone getting distracted with my awesome playlist so I wiped out the titles!). So all the songs with the grey circle arrow play just fine in my NX, but The Gambler doesn’t even show up on my infotainment screen. In order to be able to have The Gambler show up in the car, you need to hit that RED DOWN ARROW

Old 02-24-24 | 11:57 PM
NX450Guy
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by NX450Guy
Figured out what the problem is, and the fix is simple:

This is my iPhone. I downloaded a playlist for my car. Notice the last song, The Gambler, doesn’t have that little grey circle to the right of it like the other titles above (didn’t want anyone getting distracted with my awesome playlist so I wiped out the titles!). So all the songs with the grey circle arrow play just fine in my NX, but The Gambler doesn’t even show up on my infotainment screen. In order to be able to have The Gambler show up in the car, you need to hit that RED DOWN ARROW

You will see a CHECKMARK up top, and the grey arrow circle appears next to the downloaded song. Now you will be able to listen to your song in the car.
Old 02-25-24 | 04:52 AM
Xanadu350
Racer

The gray circle with the arrow simply means that song or album is downloaded to your iPhone. The Gambler was not downloaded to your device so I’m assuming car play was not seeing it in order to play it. Before you checked it you were probably able to play The Gambler fine (without car play) as it was most likely an album in the Cloud or part of Apple Music subscription or something like that.

It appears from your scenario that car play will only play songs or albums that are downloaded to your device for offline listening.
Old 02-25-24 | 09:01 AM
NX450Guy
Pit Crew

The gray circle with the arrow simply means that song or album is downloaded to your iPhone. The Gambler was not downloaded to your device so I’m assuming car play was not seeing it in order to play it. Before you checked it you were probably able to play The Gambler fine (without car play) as it was most likely an album in the Cloud or part of Apple Music subscription or something like that.

It appears from your scenario that car play will only play songs or albums that are downloaded to your device for offline listening.
Exactly what I was trying to show. Make sure it’s downloaded. Very simple.