NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

“Hey Lexus” voice commands

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-24, 04:41 AM
ill22ini
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question “Hey Lexus” voice commands

December ‘23 purchased ‘24 NX 350h. Struggling with voice commands. If you pause for a fraction of a second during command, system reply’s that cannot understand. If you pause after “Hey Lexus” to wait for system, then continue, it talks over you. Any suggestions ? Thank you for your response. Ill22ini
Old 02-05-24, 05:47 AM
Droid13
Racer

Received 544 Likes on 381 Posts

I have mine set so that I still get voice prompts (I believe you can turn the voice prompts off). I say "Hey Lexus". Then I wait for her to reply "What can I do for you?". Then I state my request "Navigate to the pot of gold under the rainbow". 98% success (with requests in general, not finding the gold, on rare occasion it seems she doesn't have a good cell connection and can't complete), I wonder if it works like Alexa where the voice is actually sent to cloud servers for voice recognition, but not sure. Maybe car functions can be performed locally but some requests (like weather for instance must come from the cell data connection).

This is a slightly different process than using the talk button I think, using the wake up command instead of pressing the button.
Old 02-05-24, 07:47 AM
oregonkat
Pit Crew

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by ill22ini
December ‘23 purchased ‘24 NX 350h. Struggling with voice commands. If you pause for a fraction of a second during command, system reply’s that cannot understand. If you pause after “Hey Lexus” to wait for system, then continue, it talks over you. Any suggestions ? Thank you for your response. Ill22ini
I wrangled with that for quite a while, and found the same problems, as well as very limited funtionality, which I believe is due to it requiring its own network connection, I think AT&T. Since I live out of town, this did not work for me, including all the Lexus app functions of finding your car, locking it, starting it, etc. I didn't see why I should have to use Android Auto when Hey Lexus should have worked, but I did switch over to that and find it much superior, including color graphics. Just everything works more and better. I still use Hey Lexus for in car functions like climate, etc.
Old 02-05-24, 06:05 PM
jatwell
Pit Crew

Received 63 Likes on 46 Posts

Mine works great, but only if I do one of the following:

Speak in a sentence without pausing, especially between “hey Lexus” and “take me home”, etc. Say it like you are talking to another person. This is the method I use. Takes a bit of practice, but works.

Say the “hey Lexus” part then wait for her to ask what do you want to do then say the “take me home” part.

Sounds like you are on the right track. It just takes some practice. I think the most important thing is to have it all figured out before you speak. When we talk to other people, we say “uh, um”, etc. and pause sometimes. Try something like “hey Lexus what time is it” a bunch of times until you get a feel for it. Make sure you avoid something like “hey Lexus, what time is it”.
The following users liked this post:
Doug007 (02-06-24)
Old 02-05-24, 06:39 PM
SeismicGuy
Pit Crew

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

I have to admit that I am not very comfortable talking to devices. We have some Echo Dots at home and on the rare occasion when I ask Alexa to do something or ask a question I get very self-conscious. Must be because I am of a "certain age".
The following users liked this post:
Doug007 (02-06-24)
Old 02-06-24, 06:42 AM
ill22ini
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank u jatwell. Well said. Practice is the key.