NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

Choices

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-24, 02:23 PM
Sounds
Advanced

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts
Default Choices

We're considering a 2nd NX(luxury) Fuel economy is not an issue as the NX is for local short runs. Am I missing something by getting a 350 not a 350h/450h?

Last edited by Sounds; 02-16-24 at 07:58 AM.
Old 02-15-24, 02:52 PM
Geopoz
Intermediate

Received 81 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Sounds
We're considering a 2nd NX(luxury) Fuel economy is not an issue as the NX is for local short runs. I'm I missing something by getting a 350 not a 350h/450h?
Just mpg. And maybe less things that require maintenance
Old 02-15-24, 04:20 PM
midcow3
Racer

Received 566 Likes on 375 Posts
Lightbulb

We're considering a 2nd NX(luxury) Fuel economy is not an issue as the NX is for local short runs. I'm I missing something by getting a 350 not a 350h/450h?
get a 450h+ if you can find one to buy otherwise get a 350h
Old 02-15-24, 04:39 PM
Randyp1234
Advanced

Received 236 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by midcow3
They said "Fuel economy is not an issue". Why get the 450h+? Since MPG doesn't matter, I'd get the non-hybrid.
The following 2 users liked this post by Randyp1234:
Freds430 (02-16-24), Sounds (02-16-24)
Old 02-15-24, 05:29 PM
Droid13
Racer

Received 573 Likes on 404 Posts

The biggest difference you will notice is the transmission. The 8 spd seems to work well enough, but you do feel the gear shifts which of course isn't something on the h. Just puttering around town casually it can be very smooth, not eCVT smooth, but quite decent. If you get on the power the shifts will be more noticeable as the shifts take place at higher RPMs, which isn't really a big issue except for my one peeve. 1st gear is so short that if you take a corner from a stop under some brisk power (40 to 60%) the shift to 2nd happens mid turn with some "presence" which is less pleasant that hybrid smoothness doing the same. This was my first car in 15 yrs that wasn't a hybrid (or at least had CVTs as the case with the Subarus I've had) so the experience is clearly very different, whether you consider that feeling sporty or annoying is a personal view.

Some of the minor noticeable differences:
  • Auto start/stop is nothing like what happens on the h. Generally you'll find it annoying and will want to shut it off most times.
  • Sounds like a car, not a space ship at low speeds.
  • More room under the trunk floor without the 12V, easier to fit a spare if you take out all the existing storage bins.
  • No regen whine when braking gently. Some people really hate that noise, but I always thought it was cool on the hybrids I had. Generally, more consistent feel from the brakes, but they won't last as long.
  • Finally, and this is a bit less definitive because this is based on just a few instances, but my opinion is the T24A engine in the 350 sounds a lot better than the A25A engine in the h (when it is running). A colleague at work has a 350h same year as mine and sometimes I hear it running and I think, noisy racket under that hood, at least from the outside. I've been in his a few times (and a couple my own test drives too) and inside with windows up, its far less noticeable though.

For just an occasional around town car, there is of course the option of going with a 250. The least number of things to break/fix and less costly to buy. We ended up with a Forester as our #2. More rear seat room, more trunk room from a same size SUV, the CVT is smoother than the 8spd (but not as smooth as the eCVT), great AWD, better FE than the 350. I actually just had it out today after a snow storm this afternoon, its so much fun to drive a car that you can nicely kick the rear end out in snow if you're inclined to do such things, while still getting excellent traction.
The following users liked this post:
blueless (02-16-24)
Old 02-15-24, 05:41 PM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by midcow3
But your not telling the OP why lol
Sounds (02-15-24)
Old 02-15-24, 08:05 PM
Sounds
Advanced

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Thanks for all replies. We have a 2017 Macan S 50,000m... excellent condition but the A/C needs to be serviced. Would like to have it repaired and keep it until. If the repair is outrageou$ we'll look to replace it. I really like the NX's safety features, emergency sos. Having a hybrid or plug in is not bad thing where we live... gas stations can be crowded..... once in a while they are shut down. The 350Lux we currently own is pretty neat. For now it's toss up which NX we would get.. If there is one on the ground that we like really like (color combo) that would be the one regardless of ICE or Hybrid
Old 02-15-24, 08:14 PM
lsft
Racer

Received 600 Likes on 403 Posts

​​​​​​What you would miss is a quieter ride at times when the hybrids run on EV mode. The 450h+ center of gravity is much lower than the 350. The 450h+ has more power and faster than the 350. The 350h/450h+ engine don't sound as good, but you only hear it when you push it hard. If you aren't a heavy right food person, you won't nice it as much. The 350h vs 450h+ makes a bigger difference since the 450h+ has more power and rely on the gas engine less so the gas engine is less noticable.
if you are doing short runs you'll mostly use the EV mode most of the time and you'll won't even hear the engine much. But you'll gain other issues like how do I use up all the gas in the tank.

Hope this helps
Sounds (02-16-24)
Old 02-15-24, 08:49 PM
midcow3
Racer

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Randyp1234
They said "Fuel economy is not an issue". Why get the 450h+? Since MPG doesn't matter, I'd get the non-hybrid.
450h+ really nice features and performance,450h+ will have the highest resale Coming from a Macan you will appreciate the much better performance and smoother transmission,

Even though mpg is not a concern, you will have to go to crowded gas stations much less often, The travel range of the 350 gas only is dismal.

Sorry, my first answer was short. Club Lexus locked up ( first time I b=have seen web site lock up ) before I could edit and add detail.

YMMV,
MidCow3

Last edited by midcow3; 02-15-24 at 09:16 PM.
Old 02-15-24, 09:44 PM
Pandaroo
Driver

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

Since OP doesn't care about fuel economy, then it is really down to feel and practicality. I suggest you do a test drive of all 3 before making a decision. Ultimately, you have to enjoy driving your car, because opinions subjective. I could live with something, while it could drive you crazy.

350 - 8 spd auto, feels more like a traditional car, you can fit a spare in the trunk, auto stop start is annoying.

350h - eCVT may feel smoother than normal transmission (subjective), acceleration may feel more instant due to electric motor (subjective).

450h - more power than the 350h, but couldn't feel the difference while driving normally. Same as 350h for eCVT and acceleration (subjective). Do you have easy access to wall charger? Do you need to spend $2k+ to rewire and install a charger? Do you get government rebates?

I was tossing between the 450h and 350h. I test drove both. No real difference for me while driving around the city and some highways, For me, it came down to the extra $$$ to install a new wall charger at home + higher outright cost of the 450h, and how practical it was for me to find a charger near my house and work everyday.
Old 02-15-24, 10:02 PM
midcow3
Racer

Exclamation effective 350 gas range is dismal at 276 miles

... Having a hybrid or plug in is not bad thing where we live... gas stations can be crowded..... once in a while they are shut down.
Originally Posted by Pandaroo
Since OP doesn't care about fuel economy, ....
@Pandaroo I think you missed the nuance of the OP's ( @Sounds ) said His "gas stations can be crowded and once in awhile shutdown"

The 350 has a very short usable gas range, most people less than 300 miles per tank.. The 350 is rated at 24 mpg , so on a 14.5 gallon tank you should be able to go 348 miles on a tank. However Lexus is very conservative and want areserve of around 3 gallons when DTE shows 0 and no bars are on your gas gauge; so your effective range is only 276 miles

Either hybrid has a much longer range and would help the OP avoid gas stations that are either crowded or shut down,

Check the facts. a hybrid has a much longer range in miles before fill-ups.

YMMV,
MidCow3
Old 02-16-24, 02:20 AM
IDK
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a 350 F Sport, have owned a number of Lexus cars and driven loads of hybrids. For me it was an easy choice, the 350 drives effortlessly (as a Lexus should) with very strong lowdown torque, it’s a true electronically controlled AWD system as compared to the hybrids which are FWD with an electric motor to drive the rear, the auto transmission is a real auto transmission not eCVT, this suit me much better. Like you, the cost of fuel is not a concern, my concern is largely about the feel of ‘drive’.

Last edited by IDK; 02-20-24 at 12:45 AM.
Farmerbone (03-17-24)
Old 02-16-24, 04:01 AM
lsft
Racer

Received 600 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by Pandaroo
Since OP doesn't care about fuel economy, then it is really down to feel and practicality. I suggest you do a test drive of all 3 before making a decision. Ultimately, you have to enjoy driving your car, because opinions subjective. I could live with something, while it could drive you crazy.

350 - 8 spd auto, feels more like a traditional car, you can fit a spare in the trunk, auto stop start is annoying.

350h - eCVT may feel smoother than normal transmission (subjective), acceleration may feel more instant due to electric motor (subjective).

450h - more power than the 350h, but couldn't feel the difference while driving normally. Same as 350h for eCVT and acceleration (subjective). Do you have easy access to wall charger? Do you need to spend $2k+ to rewire and install a charger? Do you get government rebates?

I was tossing between the 450h and 350h. I test drove both. No real difference for me while driving around the city and some highways, For me, it came down to the extra $$$ to install a new wall charger at home + higher outright cost of the 450h, and how practical it was for me to find a charger near my house and work everyday.
You don't need a level 2 charger for the 450h+. I've been using a normal plug for almost 2 years now. Plus, gas consumption is not a factor.

The 450h+ bring able to drive in pure EV is already a big difference compared to the 350h. My gas be station visits are once every 3 months.
Old 02-16-24, 05:05 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,132 Likes on 733 Posts

Originally Posted by Randyp1234
The 450+ is $19,000 more than a 350. It would take over 20 years at 12,000 miles a year to break even.
IDK (02-16-24)
Old 02-16-24, 06:06 AM
Pandaroo
Driver

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by lsft
You don't need a level 2 charger for the 450h+. I've been using a normal plug for almost 2 years now. Plus, gas consumption is not a factor.
I live in an apartment complex with no chargers or power points, it would cost me that much to wire a normal socket to my parking spot.

Anyways, best advice I can give you OP is test drive and make your choice based on what you liked. Everyone has different opinions and views on what's best.
romer (02-16-24)

Quick Reply: Choices