NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

Hitch for bike on 2024 NX350h

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-24, 05:18 PM
noRFT
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Stefanos- Please tell about the wiring harness-. where purchased, brand, cost, self installed??
Old 02-28-24, 06:55 PM
StefanoS
Intermediate

Received 203 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by noRFT
Stefanos- Please tell about the wiring harness-. where purchased, brand, cost, self installed??
After first trying the Curt 59234 for a RAV4, I found that despite being a plug and play harness, the plugs are totally different from those in the NX. Next, I purchased the Curt 59236 from Amazon which does require a little work, due to splicing. Don't let that scare you, as it is easy to do since the splice connectors are
the type that you crimp onto the wires with a pair of pliers. I used a test light to determine which wire was which and when all was said and done, the turn signals, tail lights and brake lights, all worked properly.
Amazon Amazon
The following users liked this post:
bt10 (02-29-24)
Old 02-29-24, 04:04 PM
noRFT
Driver School Candidate

Did you have to remove the bumper to get to the wires for the trailer lights???
Old 03-03-24, 08:21 AM
StefanoS
Intermediate

Received 203 Likes on 132 Posts

Did you have to remove the bumper to get to the wires for the trailer lights???
No removal of the bumper. You need access to the two side panels and the rear threshold plate needs to come off. It's a bit time consuming but, not difficult.
Old 03-03-24, 01:27 PM
gamma742
Intermediate

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by StefanoS
I'd like to see the top down view of this Hitch? How far out it protrudes past the bumper?
Old 03-03-24, 01:46 PM
noRFT
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gamma742
I'd like to see the top down view of this Hitch? How far out it protrudes past the bumper?

If I take the photo completely vertical you could not see the hitch "Draw-Tite 76634" Perfect fit on 24 NX350H. $199 from Walmart incl delivery. Much higher tongue weight #675 that curt model or dealer Activity hitch. for $750 +/-

Cross bar completely consealed.
The following 2 users liked this post by noRFT:
gamma742 (03-04-24), JeffK8850 (03-27-24)
Old 03-03-24, 02:42 PM
Lexicon1
Advanced

Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

Sorry if this has been asked before, .... my NX350h came w a "trailer hitch" option. There is no actual hitch there. I just looked under the back and all I see is a muffler.
What is the trailer hitch option that I was charged for?
Old 03-03-24, 02:53 PM
midcow3
Racer

Received 531 Likes on 347 Posts
Angry

Originally Posted by Lexicon1
Sorry if this has been asked before, .... my NX350h came w a "trailer hitch" option. There is no actual hitch there. I just looked under the back and all I see is a muffler.
You also needed the Activity Mount ($420) or Tow Hitch ($400) You got kind of rookie doed .

You added 2,000 towing capacity ergo "trailer hitch option" $160whatever that means in Lexus terms, 2,000-LB TOWING CAPACITY* ADDITIONAL EQUIPMENT REQUIRED

but nothing to connect a towing device or a hitch connector or ("activity mount 1.25 " hitch)

YMMV,
MidCow3
Old 03-03-24, 02:53 PM
noRFT
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexicon1
"Towing package" is more likely what was offered.
Dealer told me it consists of larger radiator and a transmission cooler. Hitch is extra. wiring harness is extra. Get a Drawtite 76634. perfect fit on 2024 NX350H Walmart $199.Self installed. A independent shop should charge no more than 1 hour labor. I rented lift time at a garage for $30/hr
Temp support the muffler take off three muffler hangers.Remove OEM tow bracket if there on passenger side. Install hitch with 4 bolts. Torq to instructions (76#) put muffler back on. Takes to people untill you get the bolts temped in the holes. im not finding a pkug and play harness. Still shopping for that.

Last edited by noRFT; 03-03-24 at 02:56 PM. Reason: typos
bt10 (03-04-24)
Old 04-04-24, 12:47 PM
krcardinal
7th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2024 Lexus NX 350h Hitch Receiver

We just purchased a new Lexus NX350h which came with a port installed 1’25” accessory hitch receiver with a tongue weight rating of 123 pounds. The vehicle also has a towing option that says it’s rated for 2000 pounds. Anyway, back to the accessory hitch. What a lame excuse for a hitch. We have two electric bikes and a 1-Up USA two bicycle hitch mounted rack. Total weight = ~155 pounds. So, we have no use for this mini rack. I called Lexus and they quoted something like $600 for the rack (not wiring mind you) plus installation. Wiring is another $600 plus installation. Oh, I should mention the accesssory hitch would probably be fine for two light bikes and hitch - just not electrics.

So, I went on eTrailer and purchased a Drawtite hitch. It came in two days. I had to uninstall the accessory hitch which was far and away the most difficult part as the bolts were really tightened. And you have to take off the rack from the mounts and then remove 2 additional brackets from each side to clear the path for the new hitch. They use 8 bolts mounting the baby rack to the car which the much higher rated Drawtite uses a total of 4 bolts to hold it in place. Weird. Anyway, I got the old one off and then installed the new one. Some people mentioned, and even the instructions mentioned having to lower the muffler (we didn’t have to) and also lifting the car (we didn’t have to do that either). We just wiggled it in, attached the two forward screws loosely, lifted the backs (receiver end) up and supported it with a little pump jack while we fiddled trying to get the last two bolts lined up. Then tighten them with a breaker bar and voila. I do still need to cover the 4 extra holes from the accessory hitch to keep moisture out. I’ll probably use some grease and duct tape. Oh…the Drawtite hitch will easily hold my bikes and rack and the total cost was just over $300. I chose the Drawtite over the Curt option as less is visible. Anyway, this is clearly a DIY job at the beginner level provided you have two reasonably strong people to finagle the new hitch. It was a bit too heavy for my wife. Now, I’ll have to decide about wiring as I’m not planning to tow but I like to put accessory lights on my hitch in case the bikes block my brake lights. Probably will but, if so, I’ll let Lexus do that as it’s electronic and nothing I’m willing to mess with.

Oh…last thing. We have a kick to open hatch. Still works fine (I had heard from some that there’s didn’t). I’m happy about that.
romer (04-04-24)
Old 04-04-24, 02:18 PM
midcow3
Racer

Lightbulb Very Conservative rating

Originally Posted by krcardinal
We just purchased a new Lexus NX350h which came with a port installed 1’25” accessory hitch receiver with a tongue weight rating of 123 pounds. The vehicle also has a towing option that says it’s rated for 2000 pounds. Anyway, back to the accessory hitch. What a lame excuse for a hitch. We have two electric bikes and a 1-Up USA two bicycle hitch mounted rack. Total weight = ~155 pounds. So, we have no use for this mini rack. I called Lexus and they quoted something like $600 for the rack (not wiring mind you) plus installation. Wiring is another $600 plus installation. Oh, I should mention the accesssory hitch would probably be fine for two light bikes and hitch - just not electrics.

So, I went on eTrailer and purchased a Drawtite hitch. It came in two days. I had to uninstall the accessory hitch which was far and away the most difficult part as the bolts were really tightened. And you have to take off the rack from the mounts and then remove 2 additional brackets from each side to clear the path for the new hitch. They use 8 bolts mounting the baby rack to the car which the much higher rated Drawtite uses a total of 4 bolts to hold it in place. Weird. Anyway, I got the old one off and then installed the new one. Some people mentioned, and even the instructions mentioned having to lower the muffler (we didn’t have to) and also lifting the car (we didn’t have to do that either). We just wiggled it in, attached the two forward screws loosely, lifted the backs (receiver end) up and supported it with a little pump jack while we fiddled trying to get the last two bolts lined up. Then tighten them with a breaker bar and voila. I do still need to cover the 4 extra holes from the accessory hitch to keep moisture out. I’ll probably use some grease and duct tape. Oh…the Drawtite hitch will easily hold my bikes and rack and the total cost was just over $300. I chose the Drawtite over the Curt option as less is visible. Anyway, this is clearly a DIY job at the beginner level provided you have two reasonably strong people to finagle the new hitch. It was a bit too heavy for my wife. Now, I’ll have to decide about wiring as I’m ynot planning to tow but I like to put accessory lights on my hitch in case the bikes block my brake lights. Probably will but, if so, I’ll let Lexus do that as it’s electronic and nothing I’m willing to mess with.

Oh…last thing. We have a kick to open hatch. Still works fine (I had heard from some that there’s didn’t). I’m happy about that.
Water under the bridge now, but the Assessory Hitch would have worked with 155 lbs. because they get longue weight number by dividing the towing rating by 8. So your tongue rating is still 125 ( not sure where the 123 came from) because you didn't change the Lexus NX 2,000 lb towing capacity. You could have gotten a 1.25: to 2,9 inch adapter if that were your concern. Your new hitch will work also, but don't try to tow too much weight!

YMMV,
MidCow3
Old 04-05-24, 04:59 AM
krcardinal
7th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: 123 pounds figure on Activity Mount

Old 04-05-24, 09:27 PM
midcow3
Racer

Exclamation

I just installed the same draw-tite hitch. Much higher capacity than the Curt or $$$dealer $$$$ hitch. Please tell about the wiring harness-. where purchased, brand, cost, self installed?? I was able to rent a lift at a garage to install the hitch, made it really easy. For others to note, the bolt holes are covered with a thin plastic sealer , just poke a hole in it and insert the bolts. There is a tow bracket on the passenger side that needs to be removed. Put the tow bracket bolts back in place to seal the holes. I got my draw-tite hitch at via web Walmart for $199 Feb 2024.
How can it be higher capacity ? The cpacity id limited by the 2,000 lb. towing Lexus option. The tongue weight limit is 1/8 of the towing weight of 125 lbs. Lexys deducts the 2 lb Activity Mount weight to get a tongue weight limit of 123 Lbs.

You can get a hitch that has a higher capacity, but the limit is the lowest component number, in this case the Lexus limit of 2,000 lb. towing ( or 123 lb tongue weight) . You cannot increase the Lexus limits safely.

Be very careful when you go over the recommended limits

YMMV,
MidCow3

Old 04-08-24, 05:17 AM
bt10
Pit Crew

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

2000 x 1/8 is 250? But I always see 1/10 tongue to trailer weight. 2000 x 1/10 = 200. The 123lbs is because the activity mount is lighter duty than a regular hitch.
Old 04-10-24, 07:29 PM
Jetsteve
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I appreciate your observation of the activity mount when using a bike rack. I have this same set up in my current car, and like it. The photos of the activity mount on the 550 TX shows the opening (with a cap) aligned with the bumper. Please describe the need for an extension.

Quick Reply: Hitch for bike on 2024 NX350h