NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

Relay attacks on 2024 model?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-24, 03:20 PM
Drizzt6542
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Relay attacks on 2024 model?

Can relay attacks occur if I park my car at a grocery store? Or does it require a prolonged period of time to work? Ie if I'm at home and left the keys by the front door?

I know With the new model i can hold lock button followed by two clicks of the unlock to turn on Low power mode. Under what conditions is this beneficial?

Old 03-17-24, 04:54 PM
oreon333
Pit Crew

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

I believe that on 2024 models and after Lexus improved the security on their key fobs, so your car knows where the fob is at, so relay no longer works because even if the thieve transmit your fob signal to near your car, the car knows that you are actually not near by. Anyway, just get in a habit of putting your fob to sleep every time you lock your car. That way you save the battery on a fob, and no one can see any signals for them to clone or copy.
Old 03-18-24, 08:04 AM
lsft
Racer

Received 600 Likes on 403 Posts

It was said in Japan, they did offer UWB keyfobs, but not sure if that was changed in other markets. I wouldn't take the chance and as @oreon333 says - put the fob to sleep or put in faraday bag.
Old 03-18-24, 01:13 PM
kiska3463
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I just drop my fobs into metal box with lid
This will stop communication between NX and your keys
Old 03-18-24, 06:31 PM
Lexicon1
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 55 Posts

no guarantee your metal box will block transmission signals. You can also have the fob stop signaling to the vehicle. its easy
Old 03-18-24, 06:42 PM
midcow3
Racer

Received 566 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexicon1
no guarantee your metal box will block transmission signals. You can also have the fob stop signaling to the vehicle. its easy
You are wrong , look up faraday cage https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_cage
Old 03-18-24, 11:58 PM
Billst
Driver

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by lsft
It was said in Japan, they did offer UWB keyfobs, but not sure if that was changed in other markets. I wouldn't take the chance and as @oreon333 says - put the fob to sleep or put in faraday bag.
In U.K. the key fobs since Sept ‘23 have been UWB model. That was why we did not get card key and had to wait a year with only one fob due to lack of chips. I suspect that anyone who had to wait with only one, would be getting UWB, so that would include some CA.
Old 03-19-24, 07:10 AM
lsft
Racer

Received 600 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by Billst
In U.K. the key fobs since Sept ‘23 have been UWB model. That was why we did not get card key and had to wait a year with only one fob due to lack of chips. I suspect that anyone who had to wait with only one, would be getting UWB, so that would include some CA.
They started the fob wait about October 2022. They just haven't disclosed when the UWB was offered.
Old 03-19-24, 08:44 AM
Lexicon1
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by midcow3
You are wrong , look up faraday cage https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_cage
I stand corrected, I have read enough conflicting info on the topic in the past on what is and is not effective and whether gaps and grounding are a consideration, therefore the confusion. Wikipedia does indeed indicate a metal box works .
Old 03-19-24, 10:00 AM
TheCDN
Intermediate

Received 124 Likes on 90 Posts

Another day at school! First I had to learn what UWB even means, check, got it, Ultra Wide Band.
Old 03-19-24, 10:19 AM
gamma742
Intermediate

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

is there an easy way to tell if you have the Ultra Wide Band FOB?
Old 03-19-24, 10:31 AM
TheCDN
Intermediate

Received 124 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by gamma742
is there an easy way to tell if you have the Ultra Wide Band FOB?
Yes excellent question! I've been digging around and found these articles that provide some details as to how and why UWB is used and primarily it's focused on the use of the relatively new digital key technology that is present now in mobile phones. I can't seem to find anything about this technology used in our fobs. Do they look any different? do they have a different part number? From these articles it would seem it's safer to use your digital key over a fob!

https://www.kbb.com/car-advice/vehic...-digital-keys/
https://www.onio.com/article/uwb-tec...y-in-cars.html

Are we to deduce that if your car has UWB in place for digital key use on your phone would your key fob have it too? I know that the lower cost models for '22 did not offer digital key technology, but it looks like here in Canada it's now available on a few more models for '24. I can't see Toyota/Lexus having the technology in place in a vehicle to prevent theft, but then not give you a key fob that allows you to use it. They would be pointing out this and asking you 'to please use a digital key it's safer' than the cheapo fob we gave you! This may be the prime reason everyone was only getting one key at delivery. Surely these fobs are way more costly than previous technology.

My '22 350h was built in August '22 sat in the factory yard in Cambridge Ontario until November '22 waiting for back orderd parts before I received it. But I did get 2 keys and a card key upon delivery!

Was poking around a Canadian Lexus online parts site and the keyfobs range from $200-$500 dollars CDN but I can't tell for sure if any of these has UWB technology in them. Some work for '22 and '23 models.
https://www.lexuspartsdirect.ca/p/Le...990H78490.html

Last edited by TheCDN; 03-19-24 at 01:02 PM.
Old 03-31-24, 05:17 AM
chanpai
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheCDN
Yes excellent question! I've been digging around and found these articles that provide some details as to how and why UWB is used and primarily it's focused on the use of the relatively new digital key technology that is present now in mobile phones. I can't seem to find anything about this technology used in our fobs. Do they look any different? do they have a different part number? From these articles it would seem it's safer to use your digital key over a fob!

https://www.kbb.com/car-advice/vehic...-digital-keys/
https://www.onio.com/article/uwb-tec...y-in-cars.html

Are we to deduce that if your car has UWB in place for digital key use on your phone would your key fob have it too? I know that the lower cost models for '22 did not offer digital key technology, but it looks like here in Canada it's now available on a few more models for '24. I can't see Toyota/Lexus having the technology in place in a vehicle to prevent theft, but then not give you a key fob that allows you to use it. They would be pointing out this and asking you 'to please use a digital key it's safer' than the cheapo fob we gave you! This may be the prime reason everyone was only getting one key at delivery. Surely these fobs are way more costly than previous technology.

My '22 350h was built in August '22 sat in the factory yard in Cambridge Ontario until November '22 waiting for back orderd parts before I received it. But I did get 2 keys and a card key upon delivery!

Was poking around a Canadian Lexus online parts site and the keyfobs range from $200-$500 dollars CDN but I can't tell for sure if any of these has UWB technology in them. Some work for '22 and '23 models.
https://www.lexuspartsdirect.ca/p/Le...990H78490.html
I started a new post but think to also ask in this thread. Working to catch up with all these new technologies (all along driving a 2003 gen 2 RX before moving to a 2024 NX PHEV).

I know how to turn off the Key FOB signal by holding lock and 2 presses of unlock.

How about the Smart Key Card? Is the same kind of signal always on that are prone to relay attack? Any way to turn off the signal emission from the Smart Key Card (like with the Key FOB), besides removing the battery?

Last is the Digital Key with our phone Lexus APP. I assume (?) it's using short range Bluetooth to communicate with the car for touch lock/unlock. Any particular security concern with a Digital Key in the theft regard?