NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

NX350H Trailer Towing Package Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-24, 08:23 PM
JRandy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NX350H Trailer Towing Package Questions

The new NX350h cars in stock at nearby dealerships (central and east central Florida) are equipped with the optional Trailer Towing Pkg. Does that change any of the basic characteristics of the NX350h such as final drive ratio, the suspension or anything else that I haven't thought of?

They all also have Bridgestone Run Flat tires. In the past I have read where Bridgestone tires are bad news and also Run Flat tires. So how are they working out?

They also recommend premium gas. Does everyone follow that recommendation?

The trailer towing pkg seems a strange option to put on so many Lexus hybrids. I wouldn't think many Lexus hybrid owners pull trailers. Well, maybe in this area boat trailers.

Thanks.

Jrandy

Old 03-29-24, 09:54 PM
midcow3
Racer

Received 531 Likes on 347 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by JRandy
The new NX350h cars in stock at nearby dealerships (central and east central Florida) are equipped with the optional Trailer Towing Pkg. Does that change any of the basic characteristics of the NX350h such as final drive ratio, the suspension or anything else that I haven't thought of?

They all also have Bridgestone Run Flat tires. In the past I have read where Bridgestone tires are bad news and also Run Flat tires. So how are they working out?

They also recommend premium gas. Does everyone follow that recommendation?

The trailer towing pkg seems a strange option to put on so many Lexus hybrids. I wouldn't think many Lexus hybrid owners pull trailers. Well, maybe in this area boat trailers.

Thanks.

Jrandy
Lexus has two options: 2000 lb. owing package ($160) and activity mount ($420) , It is never specified what the 2,000 package does . Some speculate that is has a lower gearing of heavier radiator, but that has never been validated. However, it is strongly recommended by Lexus that if you are going to add a tow hitch that you have the Lexus 2,000 lb towing package.

So there is a replacement sensor that can be ordered: sensor set kick door to part 8910A-78010 Hands Free type B (short) sensor, rear sensor kick door.

So I got the factory installed 2000 lb towing package and the activity mount ad my sensor only woks about 15% of the time (never when you hands are full and you really want it to work). I went to Lexus Service and asked to have them install the part 8910A-78010 Hands Free type B (short) sensor, rear sensor kick door and they refused saying my car operated normally.

The did say to move over where you kicked under the Lexus "E". Also, works best if you are not too close to the read of the NX, about 1 foot works best , when it works,

There are a lot of threads discussing this issue.

Lot of discussion on gas; lots of threads I use regular.

RFTs are okay I will replace with Michelin Cross Climate2 Non-RFT or PIRELLI SCORPION AS PLUS 3 Non-RFT. I also bought Modern Spare and jack but don't normally carry it in the car. I plan to use only on long trips because it takes up 2/3 cargo space. Still some space on tope of, but the spare tire eats up a lot of space

Good Luck,

YMMV,
MidCow3

The following users liked this post:
StefanoS (03-30-24)
Old 03-30-24, 05:36 PM
King2024
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Appreciate all the information. Exactly what I needed. Did not do much research before the delivery - so I was surprised yesterday during the delivery - the tires are all run flat the dealer wanted to sell me a package. No. Still need to decide what to do for the spare tire or just buy some tire repair kit from Amazon. Need to drive a long trip soon.

Will consider using regular gas...

Originally Posted by midcow3
Lexus has two options: 2000 lb. owing package ($160) and activity mount ($420) , It is never specified what the 2,000 package does . Some speculate that is has a lower gearing of heavier radiator, but that has never been validated. However, it is strongly recommended by Lexus that if you are going to add a tow hitch that you have the Lexus 2,000 lb towing package.

So there is a replacement sensor that can be ordered: sensor set kick door to part 8910A-78010 Hands Free type B (short) sensor, rear sensor kick door.

So I got the factory installed 2000 lb towing package and the activity mount ad my sensor only woks about 15% of the time (never when you hands are full and you really want it to work). I went to Lexus Service and asked to have them install the part 8910A-78010 Hands Free type B (short) sensor, rear sensor kick door and they refused saying my car operated normally.

The did say to move over where you kicked under the Lexus "E". Also, works best if you are not too close to the read of the NX, about 1 foot works best , when it works,

There are a lot of threads discussing this issue.

Lot of discussion on gas; lots of threads I use regular.

RFTs are okay I will replace with Michelin Cross Climate2 Non-RFT or PIRELLI SCORPION AS PLUS 3 Non-RFT. I also bought Modern Spare and jack but don't normally carry it in the car. I plan to use only on long trips because it takes up 2/3 cargo space. Still some space on tope of, but the spare tire eats up a lot of space

Good Luck,

YMMV,
MidCow3
Old 03-30-24, 05:51 PM
gallico916
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I installed the factory towing package and got a hitch from Uhaul (The hidden cross-tube option)
The OEM hitch cost $400, but the dealer charged $1100 to install it since they needed to remove the bumper. Since I didn't need the power to the back, installation was $25
It took about 15 min

Doug007 (06-23-24)
Old 03-30-24, 08:17 PM
King2024
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What was the "factory towing package"? The "2000 LB town package" one?

"No power to the back" - meaning no wiring?

I am thinking to put towing hitch to my 2010 RX 350, but after lots of reading here, I decided not to as I do not have the package which might include some transmission cooler, some converter etc. not only the hitch itself and the wiring -- which I also priced on U-Haul to be less than $500 total.

Originally Posted by gallico916
I installed the factory towing package and got a hitch from Uhaul (The hidden cross-tube option)
The OEM hitch cost $400, but the dealer charged $1100 to install it since they needed to remove the bumper. Since I didn't need the power to the back, installation was $25
It took about 15 min
Old 03-31-24, 07:26 AM
gallico916
Rookie

Yes
And yes, I do not have the power outlet on the Hitch since I don't need the power
King2024 (03-31-24)
Old 06-21-24, 04:44 PM
djsdriscoll
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put on a Curt hitch fairly easily but have been told there are no wiring "solutions" for the 2024 NX350h, even though I paid an extra $200 for a towing pkg (which I've been told is a transmission cooler). Not super happy about that!

Has anyone found a way to wire for small trailer lights? (No additional brake on trailer.)
Old 06-21-24, 06:16 PM
sightdev
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JRandy
Lexus have always had these type of add-ons since inception of the brand. typically tow-package consisted of larger cooling water/oil and charging system. but with that note, not sure how that applies to a hybrid system. considering it's only a $160 option, it's a reassurance item I would not mine paying extra. once the weather cools, I will be tackling OEM hitch install and hoping the wire connector is plug and play like in RX and GX was. older models had connector inside but newer one's have the connector outside making it easy/quick.
Old 06-22-24, 08:54 AM
gamma742
Intermediate

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by djsdriscoll
I put on a Curt hitch fairly easily

Like to see a photo or two of the Curt Hitch on the vehicle.
Old 06-22-24, 11:09 AM
Bobcamman
8th Gear

Received 17 Likes on 3 Posts

I do not own an NX350H. The owners manual for the 2025 NX350, however, shows that the coolant capacity for vehicles equipped with the towing package is about 1 quart greater than standard, implying a larger capacity radiator.
Doug007 (06-23-24)
Old 06-24-24, 02:19 PM
gallico916
Rookie

I went to uHaul to install the hitch with the hidden arms, which took 20 min. The kick sensor works 90% of the time, but don't care for it that much
Use the hitch to carry my bike racks

Old 06-24-24, 06:21 PM
AM123
Pit Crew

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

I went to uHaul to install the hitch with the hidden arms, which took 20 min. The kick sensor works 90% of the time, but don't care for it that much

Your hitch installation looks great! Could you share how much the product and installation cost you at U-Haul? If you ever end up towing anything else, I'd love to hear how it performs. TIA.
djsdriscoll (06-30-24)
Old 06-24-24, 07:16 PM
gamma742
Intermediate

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Who's Hitch did they install for you? Looks Great!!
Old 06-25-24, 06:41 AM
gallico916
Rookie

Hitch was $250 and install additional $25
Old 06-25-24, 06:42 AM
gallico916
Rookie

The draw tite ( the hitch with the hidden bard on the uHaule page for the car

Quick Reply: NX350H Trailer Towing Package Questions