Received 613 Likes on 414 Posts
Default 2 Years ownership

So fast it's 2 years owning the NX. Here is an update
Old 03-30-24, 11:51 AM
gamma742
Intermediate

Received 83 Likes on 66 Posts

You asked regarding the 12v

Any time the traction battery is actively charging, the 12 volt system is also being maintained by using some of the traction battery charge to feed the DC-DC converter. Once active charging has stopped (i.e. the traction battery is full), the 12 volt maintenance also stops.
Old 03-30-24, 06:36 PM
midcow3
Racer

Received 643 Likes on 426 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by gamma742

Any time the traction battery is actively charging, the 12 volt system is also being maintained by using some of the traction battery charge to feed the DC-DC converter. Once active charging has stopped (i.e. the traction battery is full), the 12 volt maintenance also stops.
What you said explains why the 12 volt battery can be drained on a 450h+. The question is then with the 350h "Is this the same problem? { because the 350h battery are failing and/or discharging at an alarming rate also.)

YMMV,
MidCow3

So far one 12 volt failure caused during Lexus Service in their car wash
Old 03-30-24, 08:12 PM
gamma742
Intermediate

Received 83 Likes on 66 Posts

I thought it was more of a 450h+ Problem but I believe that most ppl learned the hard way not to use ACC Mode. I learn that on my 08 Prius back in the day.
Old 03-31-24, 03:10 AM
lsft
Racer

Originally Posted by gamma742

I'm totally aware of that. But I'm monitoring it and that may not be the case all the time.
Old 03-31-24, 03:28 AM
gcskoor
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Thanks for the update.

On the overall rust, in your part of Canada would you say it is one of the areas prone to heavy damage (like our US "rust belt") or it is more mild? It seemed to me like a lot of rust for two winters. Until recently in Colorado, we did not use much chemicals and with the low humidity, they just did not rust much. My 95 Camaro has almost no rust. But now they use salt brine and magnesium chloride, which holds moisture even in our dry climate. Cars likely will rust much faster now.

BTW, I have a 22 350h. On the cable issue, I do use a high pressure washer to clean that area (as much as possible) just for good maintenance.
Old 03-31-24, 10:47 AM
AM123
Pit Crew

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

Loved your video on the NX 450h+ after 2 years! The cost breakdown between NX models was super helpful.

You mentioned the 450h+ being most economical in the long run. Curious what you factored in besides gas and electricity? Maintenance, depreciation, etc.?

Also, as a 350h owner, the multiple 12v battery replacements surprised me. Did the dealer ever diagnose the cause?

Thanks again, great info for us hybrid owners!
Old 03-31-24, 06:15 PM
lsft
Racer

Originally Posted by gcskoor
Thanks for the update.

On the overall rust, in your part of Canada would you say it is one of the areas prone to heavy damage (like our US "rust belt") or it is more mild? It seemed to me like a lot of rust for two winters. Until recently in Colorado, we did not use much chemicals and with the low humidity, they just did not rust much. My 95 Camaro has almost no rust. But now they use salt brine and magnesium chloride, which holds moisture even in our dry climate. Cars likely will rust much faster now.

BTW, I have a 22 350h. On the cable issue, I do use a high pressure washer to clean that area (as much as possible) just for good maintenance.
I live in the rust belt in Ontario. They use the same salt brine on our roads as well. From my experience with other vehicles, the rust is nothing. Most is just surface rust and weld spots. Nothing else has rust at this time. As with cablegate issue, I see the cover has definitely helped reduce the possibility of the issue. But it could still be an issue, but your practice definitely helps reduce it further.
Old 03-31-24, 06:23 PM
lsft
Racer

Originally Posted by AM123
Loved your video on the NX 450h+ after 2 years! The cost breakdown between NX models was super helpful.

You mentioned the 450h+ being most economical in the long run. Curious what you factored in besides gas and electricity? Maintenance, depreciation, etc.?

Also, as a 350h owner, the multiple 12v battery replacements surprised me. Did the dealer ever diagnose the cause?

Thanks again, great info for us hybrid owners!
Well, depreciation over time won't make that big of a difference. Again, it depends on how long you plan to keep the car. Even how much you drive would impact the numbers. Maintenance-wise, the NX350h and the NX450h+ maintenance schedule is exactly the same. The biggest difference is the bigger battery and the plug. Over time the replacement of the battery would cost a lot and will end up costing a lot more if you do plan to change the battery. But that would be 10 years later. At that time, it could mean it's time to move on with another car if the battery needs replacement. But battery cost 8 years down the road could be much cheaper.

The calculations at this point is only based on operational cost and does not include other factors. Again, that is based off my driving behaviours.

In regards to the 12V battery issues. I currently doing some monitoring of the 12V battery and trying to learn more. Stay tune to those findings in an upcoming video.
Old 03-31-24, 06:38 PM
gcskoor
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by lsft
I live in the rust belt in Ontario. They use the same salt brine on our roads as well. From my experience with other vehicles, the rust is nothing. Most is just surface rust and weld spots. Nothing else has rust at this time. As with cablegate issue, I see the cover has definitely helped reduce the possibility of the issue. But it could still be an issue, but your practice definitely helps reduce it further.
Thanks. I have watched several of the Car Care Nut UT guy based in Chicago, which is our "classic" rust belt area. He has commented the same thing when doing a hoist review of an older car and comments the rust is mostly surface. But gosh, on the "surface" it sure looks bad to me. LOL
Old 03-31-24, 06:45 PM
Dkaplan
Intermediate

Received 136 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by lsft
Well, depreciation over time won't make that big of a difference. Again, it depends on how long you plan to keep the car. Even how much you drive would impact the numbers. Maintenance-wise, the NX350h and the NX450h+ maintenance schedule is exactly the same. The biggest difference is the bigger battery and the plug. Over time the replacement of the battery would cost a lot and will end up costing a lot more if you do plan to change the battery. But that would be 10 years later. At that time, it could mean it's time to move on with another car if the battery needs replacement. But battery cost 8 years down the road could be much cheaper.

The calculations at this point is only based on operational cost and does not include other factors. Again, that is based off my driving behaviours.

In regards to the 12V battery issues. I currently doing some monitoring of the 12V battery and trying to learn more. Stay tune to those findings in an upcoming video.
My 350h will be two years old in August and has depreciated around 10%. No complaints!
The following users liked this post:
romer (04-01-24)
Old 03-31-24, 07:04 PM
midcow3
Racer

Received 643 Likes on 426 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by Dkaplan
My 350h will be two years old in August and has depreciated around 10%. No complaints!
Interesting. Are you including all maintenance, TT &L and other costs ? Is this comparative cost or actual area sale ? or are you factoring in the higher cost of replacement in your favor?

It always makes me wonder what prerogative causes someone to be able to make such a statement.

H'mmm is my car worth more than I paid because I had a major wreck and had it professionally repaired and got a check for over $4,000 for diminished value.

I plan on keeping the NX car so it doesn't atter.

My 2018 Ford Focus RS, by comparable Cars.co used car prices ( which I realize is high) appears to be about the same cost as I paid for it. With the demise of manual shift cars the rare performance oddities seem to be holding or increasing in value.

YMMV.
MidCow3

Old 03-31-24, 07:05 PM
lsft
Racer

Originally Posted by gcskoor
Thanks. I have watched several of the Car Care Nut UT guy based in Chicago, which is our "classic" rust belt area. He has commented the same thing when doing a hoist review of an older car and comments the rust is mostly surface. But gosh, on the "surface" it sure looks bad to me. LOL
As long as the rust doesn't eat into the steel and break off it's fine. You will get use to seeing it and won't be too concern. I don't plan to drive this car for 20 years - I think I would want something else earlier. Some people would want to drive a car for as long as they like, but that is not me. 13-15 years would be my max.
Old 03-31-24, 07:08 PM
lsft
Racer

Originally Posted by midcow3
Interesting. Are you including all maintenance, TT &L and other costs ? Is this comparative cost or actual area sale ? or are you factoring in the higher cost of replacement in your favor?

It always makes me wonder what prerogative causes someone to be able to make such a statement.

H'mmm is my car worth more than I paid because I had a major wreck and had it professionally repaired and got a check for over $4,000 for diminished value.

I plan on keeping the NX car so it doesn't atter.

My 2018 Ford Focus RS, by comparable Cars.co used car prices ( which I realize is high) appears to be about the same cost as I paid for it. With the demise of manual shift cars the rare performance oddities seem to be holding or increasing in value.

YMMV.
MidCow3
As I said in my best resale value video - resale value only useful if you plan to only drive the car for a short period of time. But then you might as well just lease it. If you plan to keep it for longer periods of time, once you get past a point, resale value doesn't make that big of a difference.