NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

NX with bigger sidewall tires?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-24, 06:03 PM
radiologym
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default NX with bigger sidewall tires?

We have 2022 NX with 18" runflats. I get carsick easily and NX is little too rough for me, to the point that I talked my wife into trading it in. I think I can't fix sideroll but how much getting 18in tires with bigger sidewalls will help to smooth out road bumps?
Old 05-18-24, 06:05 PM
radiologym
Pit Crew

For reference, my favorite car is 2007 ES350. Can't let it go because it has a smooth ride.
Old 05-19-24, 03:46 AM
Dkaplan
Intermediate

Received 131 Likes on 90 Posts

Check this out! https://www.tomsguide.com/phones/iph...otion-sickness. Not sure for applies, but…
Old 05-19-24, 05:16 AM
bt10
Pit Crew

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Maybe not much help, but you could probably go one size larger. Either the width OR the height, probably not both. Check LPAdventures for their recommendations. Also, a nonrunflat would help, as well as a modest low performance but quality tire, like a basic Michelin. Think balloons.😄

Lastly, this was actually addressed in ‘24 models I believe, because of this complaint. Or trade up to an RX.
Old 05-19-24, 05:21 AM
radiologym
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by bt10
Maybe not much help, but you could probably go one size larger. Either the width OR the height, probably not both. Check LPAdventures for their recommendations. Also, a nonrunflat would help, as well as a modest low performance but quality tire, like a basic Michelin. Think balloons.😄

Lastly, this was actually addressed in ‘24 models I believe, because of this complaint. Or trade up to an RX.
I was considering one size smaller rims, 17 inch.
Old 05-19-24, 05:28 AM
bt10
Pit Crew

Yeah 17’s probably fit as well, but the NX does have a mix of midsize brakes that are bigger I think than the rav4. A reputable tire shop or again LPAdventures can help answer. No affiliation, but they’ve done the homework.

Yes also mathematically increasing the width with the same percentage of sidewall height gives you higher sidewall outcome. Obviously increasing height percentage on the same width will mathematically increase the sidewall height too.
Old 05-19-24, 12:40 PM
radiologym
Pit Crew

We had RX and it had soft ride but still too much sideroll. Larger size and 17in tires did help.

I will go for new non runflat Michelins. Had great results with Primacy on my other Lexus. Now the decision is should I switch rims to 17. Will try to find out if breaks are compatible.

Last edited by radiologym; 05-19-24 at 08:21 PM.
Old 05-20-24, 03:43 PM
radiologym
Pit Crew

LPAventures answered that they think side roll will be more noticeable with bigger sidewall tires. Other than that, they have not worked with NX and can't help.
How do I find out what will take to adjust my NX to 17in wheels. This is from manual:

●Vehicles with 17-inch tires: The wheel angle differs from vehicles equipped with 18-inch/19-inch tires. Therefore, 18-inch/19-inch tires cannot be installed, as sufficient gaps with surrounding parts cannot be ensured.
■Low profile tires (18-inch/19-inch tires) Generally, low profile tires will wear more rapidly and tire grip performance will be reduced on snowy and/or icy roads when compared to standard tires. Be sure to use snow tires on snowy and/or icy roads and drive carefully at a speed appropriate for road and weather conditions.
The following users liked this post:
bt10 (05-21-24)
Old 05-20-24, 04:47 PM
lexsc4
Instructor

Received 193 Likes on 156 Posts

My personal view is no matter what size wall, 17" or 16", Run Flats or not, the NX will ride a little "Sportier or Rougher" compares to the RX. If you must have a SUV, go test drive the standard 19'' wheel, it rides better than the 18" wheel than my wife's 24 350h IMO. If you want even smoother ride and have no issue with sedans, go with the 2024 ES with the standard 17" wheel/tire package. I test drove one as well in comparison with my 2017 ES350 with a set of 17" Michelin Primacy MXV4. I would say my 2017 is even a little quieter.
radiologym (05-20-24)
Old 05-21-24, 09:59 AM
TheCDN
Pit Crew

Received 113 Likes on 82 Posts

Standard tire size for second gen NX is 235/60R18 tires which is a pretty standard size sidewall, few vehicles ride on 65 or 70's today. Usually a 65 series will be used on base models but as you move up they'll switch to a 60 or 50 series. For some stupid reason you have designers taking a view that even though these are 'utility' or 'Crossover' vehicles people want them to come with low profile tires. This doesn't make sense. Previous gen RX came with standard 65 series tires and it now has 60 as base. The RX is a little heavier and certainly has a more stiffer structure than the NX which results in a smoother ride, less bouncy. Had a '24 base RX the other week as a loaner and it was a far better controlled ride than my '22NXh with 235/50R20's. I run an 18" winter tire and don't experience much softer ride, without the added mass and stiffer body you will always get a bouncy jostling ride. But even my winter tires run quieter than the summer run flats that's for sure. I will be switching to a non run flat when time to replace.

Keep in mind the NX has always been focused on a sporty ride. The ES and other Lexus sedans offer a very smooth ride.

But please note that the overall tire outside diameter is crucial that it not change on these vehicles, one simple reason is your calculated speed reading will be inaccurate. When I was looking for a 17 inch snow tire with 65 series sidewall my dealer said Lexus / Toyota would not allow them to install that size on my car because it would affect all the driving aides on the car that steer it and assist with braking.

Last edited by TheCDN; 05-21-24 at 10:18 AM.
radiologym (08-03-24)
Old 05-21-24, 06:39 PM
midcow3
Racer

Received 547 Likes on 360 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by radiologym
We have 2022 NX with 18" runflats. I get carsick easily and NX is little too rough for me, to the point that I talked my wife into trading it in. I think I can't fix sideroll but how much getting 18in tires with bigger sidewalls will help to smooth out road bumps?
Replacing with NFTs will help some, but you maybe should not have purchased an NX. sorry. OEM 235/60 R 18

Get this tire : MICHELINDEFENDER 2235 /60 R18 107H XL BSW highly rated on comfort and quiet ride.

This is probably the best you can do unless you want to change wheel size to 17", Then get 235/ 65 R 17 ( almost same diameter and width as OEM)

CONTINENTALCONTROL CONTACT TOUR M A/S235 /65 R17 104H SL BSW If you are willing to spend the money to buy 4 new 17" wheels , these tires will give you a very smooth and comforatable ride.

If you stick with RFTs you will ALWATS have a harsh ride. RFTs have very stifff sidewalls; that is how they achieve EFT status,

Good luck on getting a smooth ride.

YMMV,
MidCow3

P.S. - Some forum members have referred to the NX as sport; that is a misnomer, The NX is by no ways sport; It is a luxury cruiser at best.
radiologym (08-03-24)
Old 08-03-24, 06:44 PM
radiologym
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by midcow3
Replacing with NFTs will help some, but you maybe should not have purchased an NX. sorry. OEM 235/60 R 18

Get this tire : MICHELINDEFENDER 2235 /60 R18 107H XL BSW highly rated on comfort and quiet ride.

This is probably the best you can do unless you want to change wheel size to 17", Then get 235/ 65 R 17 ( almost same diameter and width as OEM)

CONTINENTALCONTROL CONTACT TOUR M A/S235 /65 R17 104H SL BSW If you are willing to spend the money to buy 4 new 17" wheels , these tires will give you a very smooth and comforatable ride.

If you stick with RFTs you will ALWATS have a harsh ride. RFTs have very stifff sidewalls; that is how they achieve EFT status,

YMMV,
MidCow3

P.S. - Some forum members have referred to the NX as sport; that is a misnomer, The NX is by no ways sport; It is a luxury cruiser at best.
Turns out my car has 20in RFT. Does your advice still stand? If I will spend money on smaller wheels, I may as well get 17in and tires you recommended. Will dealer will have to reprogram accelerometer?
Old 08-03-24, 07:52 PM
tundotcom
Pit Crew

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts

I would stick with the OEM 18 inch rims.
radiologym (08-03-24)
Old 08-03-24, 10:05 PM
midcow3
Racer

Received 547 Likes on 360 Posts
Lightbulb Tire Calculator

Even with 18 inch tires the NX will not have the smoothest ride. Changing to non-DRFTs wil help a lot.

Increasing the sidewall number will help most with some imapct in your "sporty" handling.

Look at this web site: https://tiresize.com/converter/

enter in your OEM tire size 235/60R18 The 225/65R18 will give you some ( a little better than minimal) improvement and only minimalhandling loss.

If you are willing to buy 17 inch wheels; MAKE SURE THEY WILL FIT. This is more costly because you will be buying $1,000 to $2,000 in wheels plus tire ( wheel only one time though)
There are several improvement options: (again using the tire converter web site calculator)

215/70R17 Best choice for comfortable ride; handling will suffer, but unless you drive very sporty you won't notice it.
235/65R17 -Good choice
245/65R17 - Stable handling, 1.4% bigger diameter your mph will be a little off; you will be going faster than speedometer indicates and going farther than odometer indicates ..but not a whole lot.

If it were me and I didn't like the ride you might want to consider trade fro ES350 or ES300h. If you want to stick with NX first change only the tires to non-RFTs in 225/65R18 size. If not satisfies, then change out wheels and tires to 17 inch.

Good non-RFT 225/65R18 tires :

Michelin CrossClimate2 All-Season 235/65R18 106V

Good Luck

YMMV,
MidCow3
Old Yesterday, 05:53 AM
bt10
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by midcow3

YMMV,
MidCow3

A little more tire tech for the OP here. The 107H or 104H after the size is the load rating of the tire (and speed rating letter). Obviously at a minimum you take the gross weight rating of the car and divide by 4 as your basic minimum. The car maker also sets that, and some jurisdictions enforce this. The numbers going up hold more weight, which usually means a stiffer tire carcass as well. But quality tires can still have a comfortable ride even with a higher load rating, such as the Michelin listed. If you’re still looking for the softest ride possible, try to find a 103 or 104 load rating, even in the lower standard touring class of tires, like the primacy or assurance types.
radiologym (Yesterday)

Quick Reply: NX with bigger sidewall tires?