NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

My Room (Camp) Mode Experience - 450h+

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-24, 12:40 PM
shiftD7
Driver

Received 67 Likes on 31 Posts
Default My Room (Camp) Mode Experience - 450h+

I have a '22 450h+ F-Sport and purchased the vehicle for road trips and car camping. I recently had the chance to experience the My Room mode overnight (which is fairly similar to the Tesla Camp Mode) and I'm sharing my experiences for others.

Initiating My Room Mode:
Plug in the charger. Confirm car is charging.
Start the car as you normally would to drive (press on break and hit start button)
A notification on the media screen will ask if you want to activate My Room Mode. Select Yes.
It now shows you your power consumption vs. charging and if it's balance or consuming/charging more.

My Charging Situation: Regular household outlet in a campsite (didn't have the RV plug adaptors)

My Car settings: 20.5C AC with 2 bars of fan speed; lowered dash light, turned off main infotainment.

Consumption: Less than charging (so it was charging with AC)

Time of Use: 8hrs continuous AC

Experience: Amazingly comfortable during the entire night. Much more quiet without windows and very cool during an evening temp for 30C and humid (North Carolina)

Caveats:
- Headlight and tail lights stay on; I turned it to Day Time lights but it was still on all night
- Screen and dashboard are on. You can turn off screen and lower dashboard light
- Would be charging even faster with a Level 2 or RV outlet; but more than sufficient with a household outlet.
- Key FOB does not work. You can only lock the car from the inside.
- No ventilation issues with all windows up
- Not possible if raining or thunderstorms

Last edited by shiftD7; 05-29-24 at 08:01 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by shiftD7:
lsft (05-29-24), nx450plus (05-29-24)
Old 05-29-24, 02:19 PM
lexsc4
Instructor

Received 193 Likes on 156 Posts

Thanks for sharing the experience.

To me these 3 items are a no no, especially trying to stealth camp.

Caveats:
- Headlight and tail lights stay on; I turned it to Day Time lights but it was still on all night
- No ventilation issues with all windows up (Is it possible to leave 1 inches windows open or tilt the moonroof? I assume mosquitos may be an issue, but risk possible CO poisoning?)
- Not possible if raining or thunderstorms (a set of rain guard/visor on windows may fix this if the windows can open during camp mode)
Old 05-29-24, 07:58 PM
shiftD7
Driver

Received 67 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by lexsc4
Thanks for sharing the experience.

To me these 3 items are a no no, especially trying to stealth camp.

Caveats:
- No ventilation issues with all windows up (Is it possible to leave 1 inches windows open or tilt the moonroof? I assume mosquitos may be an issue, but risk possible CO poisoning?)
- Not possible if raining or thunderstorms (a set of rain guard/visor on windows may fix this if the windows can open during camp mode)
I still haven't found a way to turn off DRLs, I may just cover it during the night.

Re CO, we did leave two of the windows open slightly to avoid this. We have Amazon netting that goes over the windows so bugs aren't an issue

It's less about the water getting in (leaving it a bit open with the netting prevents 95% of any rain coming in) but it's that the Lexus charger can't be used in inclement weather unless you have a way to cover it and keep it dry
Old 05-29-24, 09:26 PM
drox
Driver

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Thanks for this... I am thinking of trying this during the summer. It sucks that the lights stay on.

Regarding CO poisoning, what would be creating CO if the ICE is off? And wouldn't the HVAC system circulate air from outside or does that require the car to be moving?
Old 05-30-24, 11:24 PM
clmk
Driver

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by drox
Thanks for this... I am thinking of trying this during the summer. It sucks that the lights stay on.

Regarding CO poisoning, what would be creating CO if the ICE is off? And wouldn't the HVAC system circulate air from outside or does that require the car to be moving?
If the HVAC fan is running and set to fresh air, not recirulation, and it's a 450h+ in camp mode, there's no CO2 issue to worry about.

HVAC on fresh air brings in.... fresh air.
Camp mode in 450h+ does not run the ICE... no exhaust.