NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

How is the reliability of these? Is it like a cockpit inside?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-24, 09:34 PM
jeeper2269
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How is the reliability of these? Is it like a cockpit inside?

I have owned two Lexus IS models and loved them both. Additionally, I have to say I have never experienced better customer service than from Lexus. With that said, we are looking to replace my wife's Bronco Sport soon and have been looking around at different vehicles around the same size. Recently we looked at a 2024 Audi Q3 and it was pretty nice. My main concern is reliability and customer service (service department).

Based on the small amount of research I have done, the Audi is not rated very high. The Q3 was known to have battery problems, timing chain issues, as well as a leaky sunroof. I am still trying to determine if these problems have been resolved with the newer model (2021-2024).

As for the Lexus, I would love for her to get one. However, the last few models I showed my wife did not impress her. It has been a few years, but I believe she sat in an older NX that had a very similar (if not identical) interior as my 2015 IS350 F Sport. She did not like how "confined" the drivers seat was and said it felt too much like a cockpit. I really liked my IS, but I am not the one that will be driving the vehicle all the time.

Can you guys tell me if the newer interior has more space than the old models? From the pictures, it appears to be a bit more open.

I am also wondering what kind of issues you guys have had with these. What have you had to bring it back to the dealership for?

We plan on checking one out in person in a couple of weeks.

Thank you for any input
Old 05-31-24, 10:38 PM
websurfer
Racer

Received 330 Likes on 258 Posts

In our area, the Lexus dealer has really good service with most service advisors. NX and RX would probably be pretty reliable models.
Old 06-01-24, 04:15 AM
Sounds
Advanced

Received 173 Likes on 147 Posts

Take an extended test drive.
I hate to keep repeating but our NX has a cracked windshield and there are no factory replacements available. It has been garaged for a long stretch.
Aftermarket windshields cannot be used. Comes with 1 fob and no spare.
We only drove it for 10 weeks but enjoyed it. Interior is pretty nice and not cramped. We really like the comfort and ride. The safety features are outstanding. If budget allows go for the Luxury package. Other than the windshield we were 5 star satisfied. As for parts, promises of things to come/owed do not trust Lexus. If you decide to get an NX request the second FOB at delivery. We did. Otherwise you’ll get it 6 months (or more)later.

Last edited by Sounds; 06-01-24 at 04:51 AM.
Old 06-01-24, 05:20 AM
lsft
Racer

Received 610 Likes on 412 Posts

Originally Posted by Sounds
I hate to keep repeating but our NX has a cracked windshield and there are no factory replacements available. It has been garaged for a long stretch.
Aftermarket windshields cannot be used. .
I know you have talked to Corporate about this, but have you checked with them again. It's been like 9 months?
Old 06-01-24, 08:03 AM
jeeper2269
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We only drove it for 10 weeks but enjoyed it. Interior is pretty nice and not cramped. We really like the comfort and ride. The safety features are outstanding. If budget allows go for the Luxury package. Other than the windshield we were 5 star satisfied. As for parts, promises of things to come/owed do not trust Lexus. If you decide to get an NX request the second FOB at delivery. We did. Otherwise you’ll get it 6 months (or more)later.
thank you for the response. The windshield issue is good to know. I am curious why aftermarket windshields do not work.
Old 06-01-24, 08:21 AM
websurfer
Racer

Received 330 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by jeeper2269
I have owned two Lexus IS models and loved them both. Additionally, I have to say I have never experienced better customer service than from Lexus. With that said, we are looking to replace my wife's Bronco Sport soon and have been looking around at different vehicles around the same size. Recently we looked at a 2024 Audi Q3 and it was pretty nice. My main concern is reliability and customer service (service department).

Based on the small amount of research I have done, the Audi is not rated very high. The Q3 was known to have battery problems, timing chain issues, as well as a leaky sunroof. I am still trying to determine if these problems have been resolved with the newer model (2021-2024).

As for the Lexus, I would love for her to get one. However, the last few models I showed my wife did not impress her. It has been a few years, but I believe she sat in an older NX that had a very similar (if not identical) interior as my 2015 IS350 F Sport. She did not like how "confined" the drivers seat was and said it felt too much like a cockpit. I really liked my IS, but I am not the one that will be driving the vehicle all the time.

Can you guys tell me if the newer interior has more space than the old models? From the pictures, it appears to be a bit more open.

I am also wondering what kind of issues you guys have had with these. What have you had to bring it back to the dealership for?

Thank you for any input
Which model of the NX you are looking at?

https://www.lexus.com/content/dam/le...X-Brochure.pdf

NX are all have RFTs but you can replace them but there aren't that many choices are RFTs. Bridgestone Alenza is the one that's on my vehicle. If you are looking at the NX hybrid, the 12V battery doesn't charge that well. Another thread has details.

I had a GS before and NX isn't that powerful and NX has less HP also.
Old 06-01-24, 08:33 AM
NXWes
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So, you’ve owned a new Lexus. But haven’t been able to drive it for almost a year?

Are you driving a loaner? Tried having them exchange the vehicle? How about Lexus pull a windshield out of one that’s not sold. And put it in yours?
The following users liked this post:
Sounds (06-01-24)
Old 06-01-24, 09:17 AM
Sounds
Advanced

Originally Posted by lsft
I know you have talked to Corporate about this, but have you checked with them again. It's been like 9 months?
the story is … it was ordered Sept 1. We got a notice in mid Nov it’s coming in. By that time we went to Florida for the Winter without the NX. The dealer would not hold it until we got back. We ordered again the end of April. Was told they are back ordered with no ETA. Corporate has been a waste. We’re next. Blah blah. They cannot deliver. There are none available to ship.
I’m going to spend some money and get my head examined as we have no choice but to get rid of it. We are trying again as it’s being traded for a 2025 350h Luxury at a good 20% loss. My wife likes it. I have no faith and reluctantly going along with her decision. As for corporate they are a waste and I should not have to contact them. For me BMW and Macan have been the best for service.
I’m sorry my post is negative.. I was hoping for a no aggravation ownership. This is the worst experience I ever had. No windshields ..Baloney.
New NX’s are being built.
Old 06-01-24, 09:28 AM
Sounds
Advanced

Originally Posted by NXWes
So, you’ve owned a new Lexus. But haven’t been able to drive it for almost a year?

Are you driving a loaner? Tried having them exchange the vehicle? How about Lexus pull a windshield out of one that’s not sold. And put it in yours?
Dealer had no sympathy. I asked if I could exercise the lemon law. … said no as it’s body damage not reliability. I’d try a lawyer but we need a vehicle now not weeks/ months. Lexus is your best friend at the new car sales counter. Service after the sale? When I called the agency for replacement they said I have to have it done independently and brought back to them to recalibrate the cameras. I went to a different dealer that said they would handle the entire replacement… aside from they cannot get one.
Old 06-01-24, 11:52 AM
DampDuffer
Intermediate

Received 69 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by jeeper2269

As for the Lexus, I would love for her to get one. However, the last few models I showed my wife did not impress her. It has been a few years, but I believe she sat in an older NX that had a very similar (if not identical) interior as my 2015 IS350 F Sport. She did not like how "confined" the drivers seat was and said it felt too much like a cockpit.

I have owned an Audi Q3 and had zero problems, but I prefer my 2024 NX350h.

I have owned a second and third generation RX and a first generation NX...and I prefer my current NX350h over all of those.

As a retired fighter pilot, perhaps I like the feel of the "cockpit" your wife describes, but there is much more room in the NX than in any aircraft I have flown. Whether the second generation NX is roomier than the first generation, I do not know, but I do know with the panoramic sunroof it certainly seems roomier.

I have never had a problem with any of my Lexus automobiles, but I have had nothing but great service from my Lexus dealer in service or in sales.

I note that you are in Oregon. I have purchased my cars at Lexus of Portland and highly recommend Slava or Ashlie in sales and Don in service.
Old 06-01-24, 01:13 PM
weaver483
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I have owned multiple Lexus vehicles over the years and the service was great until the last few years. Lexus service is definitely not what it used to be and from my experience using 3 different dealerships since ~ 2012 to present has not been good. Maybe its more difficult to find good employees, less training on newer technology or Lexus sales volume has increased. I don't know but my next car will probably not be a Lexus. On the other hand maybe all brands have the same issues. Best of luck on your next vehicle purchase.
Sounds (06-01-24)
Old 06-01-24, 02:36 PM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,157 Likes on 747 Posts

J D Power #1 in reliability 23 out of 28 years which is crazy. Lexus service again #1. The few issues over many Lexus's and many years the service department has always resolved quickly and satisfactory. We are on our 7th and 8th Lexus with zero issues.

romer (06-01-24)
Old 06-01-24, 02:45 PM
RX350ok
Driver

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

This is so bizarre. I received my 2nd fob/key 2 months after delivery, in February.
Old 06-01-24, 06:37 PM
Sounds
Advanced

Originally Posted by RX350ok
This is so bizarre. I received my 2nd fob/key 2 months after delivery, in February.
Certainly is... It's such a nice vehicle... would be great if not for little hiccups... 2 months is long time.
Old 06-01-24, 07:08 PM
DenverRx
Intermediate

Received 110 Likes on 63 Posts

I felt claustrophobic in the Gen 1 NX loaners I had (I'm 5'11 165lb; not a big guy). The new NX is worlds better; similar to my old RX.
Sounds (06-02-24)

Quick Reply: How is the reliability of these? Is it like a cockpit inside?