NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

My NX got stolen

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-24, 10:53 PM
midcow3
Racer

Received 541 Likes on 355 Posts
Lightbulb

Just curious, was it on the street and easily accessible or was it behind a driveway gate and in a garage, Tow truck stealing is somewhat common for professional THIEVES.

Sorry it got stolen, bummer!

YMMV,
MidCiw3
The following users liked this post:
Sounds (06-03-24)
Old 06-03-24, 04:13 AM
Sounds
Advanced

Received 170 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by midcow3
Go back to standard shift cars, best theft deterrent ever. This add on security items are not the answer especially with theft and crime continue to increase with apparently very little consequence.

YMMV,
MidCow3
My buddies Mustang got stolen. He thought having gears would prevent that.

Regardless… if you see someone tampering with your vehicle. Let it go. Walk away from it.
Do not confront anyone. Do not hurt/killed by a car crook.
RCF93til (06-03-24)
Old 06-03-24, 04:13 AM
buhdeh
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by lsft
Lexus Canada needs to do more and as you said they might need to do an update to protect programming of keys. Reality is. If they want your car they can just lift it from it's wheels and then tow it away. Cover it will a large faraday bag and the car will no longer have any 4G/ GPS signals. No matter what protection you have it's done.
Yes that’s true but I would argue that using a truck and a faraday bag is a very targeted theft whereas in my case, it seems to be more a theft based on opportunity. My car was parked fully visible from Highway 7 so what they did could be done quickly and without people noticing (or caring). I don’t think you can ever stop a targeted theft but Lexus needs to do something about allowing thieves to take off with a car in less than 5 minutes (if I go by how long it took in that Tundra video)

Last edited by buhdeh; 06-03-24 at 04:25 AM.
Old 06-03-24, 04:39 AM
GoPDemon
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by websurfer
How about security window film for the back windows. I haven't used the product but saw this on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tykhdkUG00
if it can still be broken in another minute or two I’m not sure if it’ll help. But I did get an Amazon vibration sensor to detect if someone is trying to brake the window or sit in the seat. I got the Yolink system.

this is how newer vehicles are done

Old 06-03-24, 06:18 AM
JasDmw
Advanced

Received 234 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by lsft
You would wonder why Mazda are not being stolen. There is no demand in Africa? I doubt they have a more secure system than the TSK that they implemented. This new method is not going through the canbus, but programming a new set of keys. His original keys do not work anymore which tells me they erased all keyfobs and programmed a new set.
It's all about demand. The market wherever these cars goes drive demand. Mazda is not in demand so they don't get stolen. Has nothing to do with security.
lsft (06-03-24)
Old 06-03-24, 06:41 AM
Droid13
Racer

Received 550 Likes on 387 Posts

Originally Posted by buhdeh
Lexus needs to do something about allowing thieves to take off with a car in less than 5 minutes (if I go by how long it took in that Tundra video)
Unfortunately, preventing keys from being programmed may remain an elusive task. With many jurisdictions implementing right to repair rules that has made supporting key programmers almost a legal requirement. I can hop onto Amazon and pick up a sophisticated Autel key programmer tool that will work with most cars, and get lifetime updates, for just a few hundred dollars. If readily available commercial tools don't do the job, I'm sure enterprising people can create even better tools for the thief on the go.
Old 06-03-24, 12:04 PM
buhdeh
Driver

Interior panels are all mangled. Likely have to replace a lot of the wiring and interior parts. I'm told it's looking like a huge amount of work. Probably multiple weeks if not months. As per usual with garbage Lexus, it will take weeks to months just to get the parts in because nothing is in stock. For reference, I drove with no backup camera for nearly 2 months (again, no ETA because nothing is in stock and everything is considered "backordered") before they received the part and replaced it the last time I had to order a part.

I will never buy another Lexus again. I kind of wish the vehicle wasn't recovered so I could just buy something else and not deal with this.

Anyways, hope none of you guys (especially in Canada) never have to deal with this.

Last edited by buhdeh; 06-03-24 at 12:11 PM.
lsft (06-03-24)
Old 06-03-24, 12:06 PM
GoPDemon
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts

Any pictures? I’d like to see where they try to access.
Old 06-03-24, 12:11 PM
buhdeh
Driver

Originally Posted by GoPDemon
Any pictures? I’d like to see where they try to access.
I'll try to find time later. Basically they opened up the panels under the shifter and the panels along the passenger side footwell / glove box.
Old 06-03-24, 12:27 PM
JasDmw
Advanced

That stolen ES I mentioned earlier, it took about 5 months for all the parts to arrive and be installed. Yes, there are still issues with replacement parts, especially those that are oddballs like interior trim bits and harnesses. The one that took the neighbour the longest to get was the power cable for the Lexus dash camera he had in the car that they ripped off when they stole the car. I'm sure all the other manufacturers are still having issues as well, this is not a Lexus or Toyota specific thing. The neighbours dealership lent him a car once he was out of insurance coverage for a rental, so maybe you can harp on yours to help out?
Old 06-03-24, 01:00 PM
AM123
Pit Crew

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

What I find puzzling is that Toyota and Lexus, known for their reliability and easy access to parts due to their status as leading automakers, are currently facing significant issues with the supply and demand of replacement parts. People choose Lexus and Toyota vehicles because they are reliable and because parts are typically readily available. It's disappointing to discover that the company is struggling with back-ordered parts. After going through this thread, immediately ordered an AirTag for my car.
buhdeh (06-03-24)
Old 06-03-24, 01:29 PM
JasDmw
Advanced

Originally Posted by AM123
What I find puzzling is that Toyota and Lexus, known for their reliability and easy access to parts due to their status as leading automakers, are currently facing significant issues with the supply and demand of replacement parts. People choose Lexus and Toyota vehicles because they are reliable and because parts are typically readily available. It's disappointing to discover that the company is struggling with back-ordered parts. After going through this thread, immediately ordered an AirTag for my car.
There are thousands of parts in a car. All manufacturers try to stock those that are usually required but when a car is stolen and the interior is ripped apart, parts are damaged that are not high volume replacements. Cut them some slack, they can't warehouse every part everywhere!

As for the air tag, I have a Samsung tag in mine, although based on my experience and those here, I would not want my car back. That's what happened with our 2020 RX that this NX replaced, somebody is likely driving it around Dubai with the winter tires still on it (LOL). I would not want to take on the depreciated value of a theft recovery of my car. I have insurance that covers me for 5 years full value replacement, which means if the car is stolen or wrecked within 5 years, I get back all that I paid for it minus the deductible. So if it's stolen and hopefully not recovered, I'll have the $$ to pay for a new Mazda.
buhdeh (06-03-24)
Old 06-03-24, 01:46 PM
buhdeh
Driver

Originally Posted by JasDmw
There are thousands of parts in a car. All manufacturers try to stock those that are usually required but when a car is stolen and the interior is ripped apart, parts are damaged that are not high volume replacements. Cut them some slack, they can't warehouse every part everywhere!

As for the air tag, I have a Samsung tag in mine, although based on my experience and those here, I would not want my car back. That's what happened with our 2020 RX that this NX replaced, somebody is likely driving it around Dubai with the winter tires still on it (LOL). I would not want to take on the depreciated value of a theft recovery of my car. I have insurance that covers me for 5 years full value replacement, which means if the car is stolen or wrecked within 5 years, I get back all that I paid for it minus the deductible. So if it's stolen and hopefully not recovered, I'll have the $$ to pay for a new Mazda.
Damn, that’s some brand loyalty, lol. But yeah. I wish the car was never recovered.
Old 06-03-24, 02:29 PM
AM123
Pit Crew

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

I was speaking in general terms. For example, some community members have been waiting over six months to get their windshields replaced. It's frustrating to pay a lot for a car only to have it sit in the garage for so long.

P.S. I love my NX/Lexus and wouldn't want to wait that long for a part!
Sounds (06-04-24)
Old 06-03-24, 03:37 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,161 Likes on 1,624 Posts

That last part of the last sentence says it all to me. I have a steering wheel lock. I doubt if the thieves that took you car would have been deterred by that, these are pros. They would likely have cut it with bolt cutters or perhaps a portable grinder.

Have said this many times, if mine's stolen, I'm buying something else. The new Mazda CX70/90 are looking pretty good. Police told a neighbour when his 2022 ES350 was stolen last year that the best way to prevent theft of a Lexus is to buy a Mazda. They are never stolen.
According to IIHS data for 20-22 model years, here's the least stolen cars list.

Quick Reply: My NX got stolen