NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

Remote connect for new car

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-24, 06:50 PM
Mchilders56
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remote connect for new car

I am looking at either a base or premium model. The premium has the digital key and remote connect. The base model does not have the remote connect. If I buy the base can I buy a digital key and use the remote connect if I pay for the subscription? Basically I want to be able to unlock and start the car from my phone if I have the base model.
Old 06-18-24, 05:40 AM
Droid13
Racer

Received 544 Likes on 381 Posts

As I understand it, the vehicle must already come with the digital key capability at time of purchase. It can't (or perhaps alternatively described as "not allowed" to) have the feature added after the fact.
Old 06-18-24, 06:36 AM
Mchilders56
2nd gear

I see so that would mean the base models are no capable of having remote connect and you cannot use the app to start or unlock the car.
Old 06-18-24, 06:38 AM
Randyp1234
Advanced

Received 229 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Mchilders56
I am looking at either a base or premium model. The premium has the digital key and remote connect. The base model does not have the remote connect. If I buy the base can I buy a digital key and use the remote connect if I pay for the subscription? Basically I want to be able to unlock and start the car from my phone if I have the base model.
Assuming it's brand new, and this is based on when we bought our '22 new. If you get the larger touch screen you get all three subscription services for the first three years included in the cost of the car. If you get the smaller screen, you do not get the navigation service but do get the other two. I believe the digital key is not included in those three and you have to have a higher trim level to get that. I've also read here, and other places, about multiple issued with the digital key working and it draining the battery on the phone.
Old 06-18-24, 07:23 AM
lsft
Racer

Received 577 Likes on 385 Posts

Digital Key and Remote Connect are 2 different things.

Remote Connect can remote start the car, remote lock/unlock the doors etc... but you can not drive away without using a keyfob or digital key.

The Digital Key uses your phone as a keyfob allowing you to unlock/lock and start the vehicle.

My understanding is if the car does not have Digital Key function at build, you can only get Remote Connect Subscription.
If your car has digital key function at build, you will get Remote Connect w/ Digital Key Subscription.

Old 06-18-24, 07:24 AM
Dkaplan
Intermediate

Received 131 Likes on 90 Posts

I have the digital key, and I use it almost exclusively; it works great. It’s such a pleasure not to have to carry my keys when I’m driving. Note, if I’m driving more than 10 miles from home, I take my key as a precaution, but rarely, if ever, need it.

When I’m not going to use my car, I usually close the app so it doesn’t drain the battery. As a result, I have no issues with battery drain. I also charge my phone when I’m driving.
The following users liked this post:
lsft (06-18-24)
Old 06-18-24, 07:31 AM
lsft
Racer

Received 577 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by Dkaplan
I have the digital key, and I use it almost exclusively; it works great. It’s such a pleasure not to have to carry my keys when I’m driving. Note, if I’m driving more than 10 miles from home, I take my key as a precaution, but rarely, if ever, need it.

When I’m not going to use my car, I usually close the app so it doesn’t drain the battery. As a result, I have no issues with battery drain. I also charge my phone when I’m driving.
The digital key function has gone a long way. At launch it was crap and slow. It definitely has improved over time. But I use the credit card key and have it in the wallet. That ensures that I have my drivers license when I drive.
Old 06-18-24, 07:38 AM
Dkaplan
Intermediate

Received 131 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by lsft
The digital key function has gone a long way. At launch it was crap and slow. It definitely has improved over time. But I use the credit card key and have it in the wallet. That ensures that I have my drivers license when I drive.
I agree, it’s so much more reliable than when the car first came out back in 2022. Furthermore I’m not sure that the app actually drains the battery that much. I’m going to leave the app running in the background all day today as well as drive around and I’ll see what the usage is at the end of the day.
lsft (06-18-24)
Old 06-18-24, 08:02 AM
Droid13
Racer

I agree, it’s so much more reliable than when the car first came out back in 2022. Furthermore I’m not sure that the app actually drains the battery that much. I’m going to leave the app running in the background all day today as well as drive around and I’ll see what the usage is at the end of the day.
I haven't had battery consuming issues with the Lexus app since late summer 2023. The first few months after I got my NX and setup the digital key is was pretty bad, with the Lexus app using 60% of my battery within 8 hrs, but these days I rarely see it use more than 2 or 3% over a full day.
lsft (06-18-24)
Old 06-18-24, 11:08 AM
New2025NX
Rookie

I've only had my NX for about 10 days. The tech guy at Lexus warned me not to rely on the digital key (my phone) but today I left and forgot my fob or credit card key. I only realized it when I got to my destination and I had so much anxiety when I was out and about. When I was about 100 yds from my car I tried "Hey Siri Start my...." and I got a "Something has gone wrong" message on my phone. But I was able to open the door and start my car just fine. I started wondering if there was a location, maybe near the hatch, that I could hide my credit card key, just in case I could open the hatch but not start the car. Would that make any sense to try doing?

Also it seems that any time you change the method of car entry the app logs me out. Can anyone confirm that?
Old 06-18-24, 11:44 AM
Droid13
Racer

Originally Posted by New2025NX
near the hatch, that I could hide my credit card key, just in case I could open the hatch but not start the car. Would that make any sense to try doing?
In my experience, if the digital key opens the door, it will start the car so IMO probably not worthwhile. But if you wanted to hide a key within the car, you would need to put it in a faraday pouch, otherwise you would not be able to lock the car and it would beep incessantly at you if you tried. Maybe one of those old magnetic key holders that attach/hide underneath might be an alternative, if you really want to have a second key available.
The following 2 users liked this post by Droid13:
Dkaplan (06-19-24), New2025NX (06-18-24)