NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

Badly messed up section of factory tint on interior windshield, trying to remedy...

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-24, 08:59 PM
wrinkle
Intermediate

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by LexLuther805
Yeah, I called one earlier, he only hypothesized removing the tint completely, said while he's heard of folks removing the tint it's a huge hassle, very difficult, and he wasn't interested in doing it. He didn't have any other ideas on what to do. Also not sure how removing it will effect adaptive cruise or rain sensors, some have said it's all tied in to it.
If it helps, I just got an inside clear tint film applied by a Llumar dealer and did a ton of research about such films. It appears to me that a capable tint installer, such as of films by Llumar, 3M and Spectra Photoshield and such, can quite capably remove the tint film on the inside. The one you talked to may not have been capable - because these installers regularly apply and remove tint films in 10's and 100's of windshields. Perhaps you can search for one with almost 5 stars rating in Yelp and/or Google ratings. There are many in Northern and Southern California, so depending on where you are located, it may be possible to find these.

Also, such reputed installers also cut around both the ADAS/HUD attachment carefully, as also around the dot-matrix around the edges of the windshield. Such as the one who did mine, almost perfectly. So sounds like the one you talked to wasn't exactly an expert.
The following users liked this post:
LexLuther805 (06-23-24)
Old 06-23-24, 10:15 PM
LexLuther805
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=wrinkle;11745243]If it helps, I just got an inside clear tint film applied by a Llumar dealer and did a ton of research about such films.

Man, that actually totally helps. Thanks for giving me some hope. I'm on the central coast and he's pretty much the only tiny shop here, so I'll start looking around heavily in other places and asking about it. if I have to get new glass it won't hurt to try this 1st. Thanks!
​​
Old 07-11-24, 02:49 PM
LexLuther805
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was quoted $2800 for it all through a lexus dealer, but it is in stock so that's super. Checked with a few dealers, same price everywhere I'm near. Submitted an insurance claim, hoping they pay a reasonable amount of it. Clinically depressed now, definitely ruining that purchase experience. Please, anybody, learn from my mistake and if there's any imperfections on the inside of your windshield, learn to live with it. The calibration alone runs $1500.
Old 07-12-24, 12:03 AM
hintonwood
Pit Crew

Received 89 Likes on 50 Posts

Was quoted $2800 for it all through a lexus dealer, but it is in stock so that's super. Checked with a few dealers, same price everywhere I'm near. Submitted an insurance claim, hoping they pay a reasonable amount of it. Clinically depressed now, definitely ruining that purchase experience. Please, anybody, learn from my mistake and if there's any imperfections on the inside of your windshield, learn to live with it. The calibration alone runs $1500.
Feeling your pain from the UK.😢 so unlucky - Could have been any one of us….. good luck with the insurance claim.
Old 07-13-24, 04:20 PM
wrinkle
Intermediate

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Is this quote for replacing the windshield and recalibrating all the relevant sensors ? Total cost of windshield replacement + calibration is then $ 2800 for the NX ?

I suppose then you couldn't find any tinter who could remove/correct the windshield ?
Old 07-17-24, 01:34 PM
AtomicLexus
Pit Crew

Received 67 Likes on 37 Posts

Just cant believe I did this. Went from loving this car so much, to hating myself, everytime I sit in it.
I feel your pain, for the glass used in US cars is ridiculously soft and cheap, that just cleaning the windshield with a ring on your finger will scratch it. I too have unsuccessfully tried to repair a glass scratch in a previous car, only making it worse. Also, the non-OEM windshields are even cheaper and often have visible waves. My personal biggest complaint is the lack of thermal blocking infrared glass. That extra couple dollars in the cost of the glass would cut the inside temp by 30-40 degrees baking in the hot sun. Save on AC costs and your interior would last longer. For a while 10-15 years back, some cars (Lexus, Prius and BMW that I know of) used the thermal glass and bragged about it in the brochure. I guess this went counter to planned obsolescence where the goal is to last only slightly longer than the first lease end resale. I hope you were able to fix the issue economically to restore your enjoyment of the car. Mine is the 250 gas version, and other than it being a slug and the giant gap of gear ratios between 1st and 2nd (decided by some moron) making driving steep hills in our neighborhood a real pain, the car has been comfortable and reliable.

PS: Van Nuys and TO dealers are awful. Valencia is a bit better.