NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

Badly messed up section of factory tint on interior windshield, trying to remedy...

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-24, 12:49 AM
LexLuther805
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Badly messed up section of factory tint on interior windshield, trying to remedy...

Hi everyone,
1st post here, just got a 22 NX 350 F sport 2 weeks ago and it's been wonderful, aside from one glaring imperfection I imparted on it, because I'm an impatient moron. On the way back from the dealer I noticed a small hairline crack on the inside of the windshield, right above the HUD. My last car had very soft glass that got easily scuffed all the time and I learned how to polish them out with a glass polishing kit from amazon, but it worked perfectly well in fixing them. In the excitement of my new ride, just wanting to get everything new-owner perfect, I took to trying to use the polish on the windshield crack/scratch, not noticing that Lexus puts on a stock UV film/tint that I was effectively sanding off at that spot. Now I cant un-see it, pretty upset. I'm getting my windows tinted next week, spoke with the tinter who let me know about the lexus factory tint, I asked him if there was anything he could do to prevent me from having to buy a new windshield, he mentioned that he knows of people removing the film, though that it was so much work and he wasnt really interested in doing it. Does anyone have any input on how to try and make this better, without the need for new glass? Not even 2 weeks new, only 8k miles on it, in really amazing shape otherwise, but this is ruining the experience, especially as it was at my own hands. Anything is appreciated, thanks.

Hard to get the right angle, but it is incredibly noticeable and upsetting.
Old 06-21-24, 05:30 AM
NXWes
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would take it back to the dealership and see what they say.

They might order you a new windshield. Might take forever to get one
Old 06-21-24, 06:32 AM
Droid13
Racer

Received 599 Likes on 419 Posts

Thanks for sharing at least. I would not have realized that myself. I had purchased a used Honda Civic for my son back a few years ago, and it had an arc scratch from the previous owner not replacing a broken wiper blade. I had also tried to use a window polish kit and it kind of made things better, but in changing the shape of the glass slightly while it took away much of the scratch it now has a bit of visual distortion instead. I think when it comes to glass, perfection means replacement.
The following users liked this post:
romer (07-14-24)
Old 06-21-24, 09:50 AM
Sounds
Advanced

Received 173 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by NXWes
I would take it back to the dealership and see what they say.

They might order you a new windshield. Might take forever to get one
New Windshield… none to be had. Forever is right.
Old 06-21-24, 03:11 PM
marcel488
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default I was just going to do the same

The second day I had my car, I scratched the inside of my windshield when I was cleaning it with my watch on. The watch made contact with the glass and I could feel it scratch as I was moving. I was looking at different glass polishes hoping to remove it.
Maybe now I’ll hold off.
Old 06-21-24, 03:21 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,034 Likes on 2,549 Posts

There is tint film on the inside of the windshield from the factory?
Old 06-21-24, 05:59 PM
sightdev
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
There is tint film on the inside of the windshield from the factory?
I have never heard of that either and I have owned many luxury vehicles in the past 30+ years. I am guessing the previous owner had tinted the windshield which I found pretty interesting. it doesn't have actual "tint" but instead it's a mirror finished film and look similar to high-end luxury vehicles. but will have to question durability over the years since it's placed outside where it will have to deal with elements and wiper movements. I am sure these can be removed by professional at high labor cost.

Lexus and all luxury brands have acoustic glass. acoustic glass has "film" smashed between glass layers to dampen the outside noise. in older Lexus, this caused some distortion just like the current camera rear view mirror but "eyes" will eventually do adjust to the distortion over time. I have noticed current 350h with premium, both windshield and front sides are acoustic glass. acoustic side windows used to be an option but guessing it's standard on all models? you can tell by looking at the edge of the glass which is thicker and has a slight grove in the middle. these glasses are not just for sound reduction but it's also much tougher than the regular glass. extra $5k-$8k premium compare to the Toyota models are worth every penny considering overall better parts are used in Lexus.
wrinkle (06-21-24)
Old 06-22-24, 04:52 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 598 Likes on 418 Posts

If the car has a HUD then there is a special coating to allow HUD image to reflect off the windshield.
LexLuther805 (06-23-24)
Old 06-22-24, 09:58 AM
TheCDN
Intermediate

Received 161 Likes on 114 Posts

If you have a heads up display the windscreen is polarized to aid in the hud projection onto windscreen. This polarization is typically applied to the lamination film that is in the middle of the glass thickness, its integral to the windshield safety feature of laminated glass. I don't believe it would be located on the surface, either inner or outer, it would be too fragile and plastic would scratch. Having said that, maybe Lexus has it on the inner surface, I would confirm this with dealer.

See similar forum with RX owners and their use of polarized sunglasses and hud equipped cars. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...d-glasses.html

I would first confirm that the windshield is in fact an OEM with a Lexus id in the corner. If it is I would ask a dealer to confirm if there is any such plastic film present on the windshield's inner surface. Previous owner may have had a security or UV film applied afterwards and that's what your dealing with. If that's the case a glass professional may be able to just remove it. If it's a factory application I think you'll need to replace it.
Old 06-22-24, 12:08 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,034 Likes on 2,549 Posts

Originally Posted by sightdev
Lexus and all luxury brands have acoustic glass. acoustic glass has "film" smashed between glass layers to dampen the outside noise. in older Lexus, this caused some distortion just like the current camera rear view mirror but "eyes" will eventually do adjust to the distortion over time.
The rear glass is laminated? There is no excuse for any distortion though, laminated glass has been used on windshields for decades and produced without any visible distortion or aberration.

Old 06-22-24, 01:09 PM
TheCDN
Intermediate

Received 161 Likes on 114 Posts

I'm afraid ALL glass has some level of distortion. It begins it's 'life' as a liquid, it's melted sand. Original equipment glass has a very very high standard of what is an 'acceptable' level of distortion. That's one reason why an Original Equipment windshield is more expensive, plus they're usually thicker too, and tinted more. All windshields are mandated to be laminated by law, it's a safety feature to prevent you from hurtling through it when you've chosen not to wear your seatbelt. To see the distortion on a good OE windshield you need to be in your car motionless and look at a stationary object on a steep angle of refraction. Not looking straight through the glass but tilting your eyes to the far left or right and slowly move your head up or down. You will see some kind of distortion of the the item you are looking at. I can see it in mine, it's very very subtle though and I can't see anything looking relatively straight on.

I've had a few aftermarket windshields over the years and some are almost like those carnival mirrors that make you look skinny or large.

The rear glass distortion would not impact your camera view facing rearward though because it's right up against the inside of the rear glass and only looking through a spot of glass the size of a dime. So unless there's something covering the view through the glass the camera's image should not be visually impacted to any seeable degree in the image.
Old 06-22-24, 09:22 PM
chumpchang
Driver

Received 42 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Sounds
New Windshield… none to be had. Forever is right.

I’m genuinely curious why everyone else seems like they’re having issues with getting OEM windshield replaced. I’ve had two of them replaced and I’ve waited a total of 4 days between dropping my car off at the dealership and picking it up. I live in NYC for reference and I’ve gotten them replaced at Rallye Lexus.
Old 06-23-24, 12:19 AM
LexLuther805
7th Gear

The HUD application film makes sense, which, ironically I got this exact 350nx because it was loaded, with the HUD, it's one of my favorite features. Totally is official Lexus glass with lexus badge on the bottom left corner. I wish to god they wouldve put this film in the glass or something, but it's on the surface, you can totally run your finger over it and feel the edge, spans the whole windshield. The patch where I polished the film off doesnt show the HUD any worse than the area where the film still is, brightness or sharpness wise, it's just unsightly because you can see where I sanded it down and the hue is a little different, the film is ever so darker than the bare glass.

Dealing with the dealership is out of the question, it was by far the worst purchase experience I've ever had, they lied, on multiple occasions and Ill forever have a bad taste from buying in Van Nuys. Seeing around $800 for the glass from other dealers/parts suppliers online, theres differing models, only one has the "HUD included", which I'm guessing is this stupid film. Gonna contact these dealers this week to see about availability, though I have no clue or idea on how to find out if I could get away with non-OEM glass to work with the HUD (like I said, the HUD projects fine over the parts where I polished the tint away). There's also different ones that need to be "calibrated" which I have no idea what that entails but it too seems to up the price, a lot.

If I'm able to locate a way to get a new windshield, either OEM or non, that'd work with the HUD, and if it's not too insulting a price to have to pay, I lean on that route, as this is absolutely ruining my driving experience, because I did it myself, 2 weeks in. Not sure if I should use insurance either, I've seen reports of insurances not using OEM glass, which may or may not work with the HUD. It still has a year of the factory warranty on it, which, obviously I wont be able to use, so that sucks as well. I've made a lotta dumb mistakes with cars that have cost a lot, this one being the worst by far and I just cant not look at it and turn red with angst. I'm of the mindset that if I find a replacement, I'll try and remove the film in its entirety before purchasing to see if it works with the HUD or messes up whatever "calibration" the lexus glass talks about on some forums.

Just cant believe I did this. Went from loving this car so much, to hating myself, everytime I sit in it.

As this is my 1st lexus post, just wanted to say thanks for the input, this seems like a great community, I hope to be a member of for a long time, just hoping I can fix or get over this somehow sooner rather than later.

Last edited by LexLuther805; 06-23-24 at 12:59 AM.
Old 06-23-24, 07:31 AM
gamma742
Intermediate

Received 83 Likes on 66 Posts

I wonder if a Tint Shop might be able to help you. I would think they may have experience is such matters.
Old 06-23-24, 08:29 AM
LexLuther805
7th Gear

Originally Posted by gamma742
I wonder if a Tint Shop might be able to help you. I would think they may have experience is such matters.
Yeah, I called one earlier, he only hypothesized removing the tint completely, said while he's heard of folks removing the tint it's a huge hassle, very difficult, and he wasn't interested in doing it. He didn't have any other ideas on what to do. Also not sure how removing it will effect adaptive cruise or rain sensors, some have said it's all tied in to it.
wrinkle (06-23-24)

Quick Reply: Badly messed up section of factory tint on interior windshield, trying to remedy...