NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

Is Lexus Interface worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-24, 07:03 PM
DenverRx
Intermediate

Received 105 Likes on 61 Posts

14" Screen was a must for me. I need reading glasses for everything. I have no problem reading google maps on the 14" w/o my glasses.
Old 07-06-24, 07:19 PM
midcow3
Racer

Received 544 Likes on 358 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Droid13
Here's an excerpt from Lexus Policy:
  • Usage-Based Auto Insurance. You may choose to opt-in for usage-based insurance products and services. If you opt-in, your Driving Data (such as your vehicle's acceleration, speed, braking and steering) and Location Data will be used to deliver usage-based insurance services to you, and for quality assurance, analysis, research, and product development.

The full policy can be found here: https://www.lexus.com/privacyvts
There are lots of "Safe Drive" discounts on insurance. They add a gps gadget to your car that monitors a lot of driving habits: e.g. total miles driven, time of day, speed, acceleration, braking. Supposedly, you can get up to 30% discount and it will never ne less than 0% discount. My contention is that if your have "extreme habits" instead of just 0% , you might get a cancelled policy..

Lexus does not appear to have any insurance related driving monitors and I doubt if they provide these data to insurance companies. But are you saying Lexus offers car insurance, that is what you are implying. if so, I wasn't away of that! Is that insurance by specific country ? Is it even in the USA ?or it?

Thanks for your answer

YMMV,
MidCow3

P.S. - There are too many interstate roads around me where the traffic flow is at a very rapid pace and one needs to flow with the traffic.
Old 07-06-24, 09:38 PM
wrinkle
Intermediate

Received 142 Likes on 104 Posts

The problem usually is data sold to data-brokers and firms like Lexis-Nexis by the car-makers. The insurance companies then buy the data from them. In other words, a car-maker may not sell the data directly to insurance companies, but instead to data-brokers as the intermediary.
Old 07-06-24, 09:59 PM
midcow3
Racer

Lightbulb Big Brother lexus is watching you and giving your data to insurance companies!!!

Originally Posted by wrinkle
The problem usually is data sold to data-brokers and firms like Lexis-Nexis by the car-makers. The insurance companies then buy the data from them. In other words, a car-maker may not sell the data directly to insurance companies, but instead to data-brokers as the intermediary.
@wrinkle that is tons and tons of data to process, but CPU power is very extensive and relatively inexpensive. And based on my past career job your seemly paranoia, may not be paranoia at all but true fact, which is very, very scary. Therefore, I fully agree with your statements. arrggg

YMMV,
MidCow3
Old 07-06-24, 10:19 PM
wrinkle
Intermediate

Originally Posted by midcow3
@wrinkle that is tons and tons of data to process, but CPU power is very extensive and relatively inexpensive. And based on my past career job your seemly paranoia, may not be paranoia at all but true fact, which is very, very scary. Therefore, I fully agree with your statements. arrggg

YMMV,
MidCow3
In the interest of being data-driven about data, here's the data as evidence, so it doesn't sound like paranoia.

Car-makers don't sell raw data of course, but aggregate statistics, that may be useful for targeted purposes - from advertising to insurance to ... the possibilities are endless
Old 07-07-24, 05:48 AM
midcow3
Racer

Lightbulb aggregated data cannot be linked back to you

In the interest of being data-driven about data, here's the data as evidence, so it doesn't sound like paranoia.

Car-makers don't sell raw data of course, but aggregate statistics, that may be useful for targeted purposes - from advertising to insurance to ... the possibilities are endless
"Aggregated statistics" don't relate to a specific individual and therefore will not impact a specific individual who drives at the limit. Be careful and don't try to spread unnecessary paranoia as I alluded to before. If you signup for a "safe driving" examples USSA "Safe Pilot":, State Farm "Drive Safe & Save" then the insurance company monitors and collects specific information about your car: trips too/from, time of day for driving, acceleration, hard braking, speed. This data as I said before can give you a discount on your policy premium up to 30% . However if you drive bad. e.g. speed. drive during busy times of the day, brake hard, etc., you may gat zero (0%) discount and may even get your policy cancelled.

YMMV,
MidCow3
Old 07-07-24, 09:42 AM
wrinkle
Intermediate

"Aggregated statistics" don't relate to a specific individual and therefore will not impact a specific individual who drives at the limit. Be careful and don't try to spread unnecessary paranoia as I alluded to before. If you signup for a "safe driving" examples USSA "Safe Pilot":, State Farm "Drive Safe & Save" then the insurance company monitors and collects specific information about your car: trips too/from, time of day for driving, acceleration, hard braking, speed. This data as I said before can give you a discount on your policy premium up to 30% . However if you drive bad. e.g. speed. drive during busy times of the day, brake hard, etc., you may gat zero (0%) discount and may even get your policy cancelled.

YMMV,
MidCow3
Aggregated statistics is by each car/each driver - so that gigabytes/terabytes of data don't need to be transferred, and only key statistically aggregated data by car/driver in small units of kilo/megabytes needs to be transferred to save on data transmission costs. I pointed that out to correct your statement about large quantities of data need to be transferred - they don't need large quantities of data-transfer at all. When such aggregated statistics is transferred, its also transferred together with a unique id that is unique to the car/driver (or the TV or the any other gadget). Such unique id together with the statistical data is used to build a profile of that specific car/driver - which then leads to targeted business need, such as affixing insurance cost (when such data is bought by insurance companies, together with the unique ID), or targeted advertising when such data is bought by advertisers from your TV-watching habits. Even if such individualized aggregate is anonymized, they can be easily de-anonymized by, say, the insurance company - for example by noting that one often/daily parks at a specific address, which the insurance company of course also has as an individual's home address declared by the user themselves. Hence the aggregated statistics is specific to each user, either implicitly or explicitly - as the whole point is to build a data-driven profile. If the business practice is not scrupulous then leakage of identifiable information can also happen directly by the business (as noted in my shared article - which showed evidence based legal prosecution), not needing any statistical inference process at all.

If one is signing up for a cheaper rate by selling one's data - that is of course fine, since its happening by both parties' consent. However, the OP asked clearly about unknown/unwanted use of profiling data.

The forum indeed becomes "too pedestrian" when members pontificate and lecture, without even understanding the points being made.
Old 07-07-24, 12:52 PM
Droid13
Racer

Received 554 Likes on 390 Posts

There are lots of "Safe Drive" discounts on insurance. They add a gps gadget to your car that monitors a lot of driving habits: e.g. total miles driven, time of day, speed, acceleration, braking. Supposedly, you can get up to 30% discount and it will never ne less than 0% discount. My contention is that if your have "extreme habits" instead of just 0% , you might get a cancelled policy..

Lexus does not appear to have any insurance related driving monitors and I doubt if they provide these data to insurance companies. But are you saying Lexus offers car insurance, that is what you are implying. if so, I wasn't away of that! Is that insurance by specific country ? Is it even in the USA ?or it?

Thanks for your answer

YMMV,
MidCow3

P.S. - There are too many interstate roads around me where the traffic flow is at a very rapid pace and one needs to flow with the traffic.
This doesn't seem to indicate that Lexus offers an insurance product, but if you "opt-in" and such provisions have been made with your own insurance co, only then will the data be shared. This is mainly written by lawyers as a just in case provision I think. This is from the US privacy policy concerning Lexus connected services. Here in Canada the Lexus Connected Services privacy policy specifically states that no data is shared with insurance companies whatsoever. The important thing to remember is that privacy policies are written in such a way that describes what they might allow themselves to do, not what they are necessarily actually doing. If the manufacturer says one thing in their privacy policy, but exceeds that in practice, they open themselves to significant legal action. I'm not sure what the privacy legislation looks like in the US, but I know its very strong in Europe and we also have similar (but probably not quite as robust) as those in Europe.

We also have insurance tracking for discounts here as well, I have one. Just an app on my phone so if I feel like doing some quarter mile tests on city streets or plan to help myself to bottles at the liquor store (since they are all closed around here now due to strike), I just leave my phone at home, LOL.
Old 07-07-24, 01:55 PM
midcow3
Racer

Lightbulb

Aggregated statistics is by each car/each driver - so that gigabytes/terabytes of data don't need to be transferred, and only key statistically aggregated data by car/driver in small units of kilo/megabytes needs to be transferred to save on data transmission costs. I pointed that out to correct your statement about large quantities of data need to be transferred - they don't need large quantities of data-transfer at all. When such aggregated statistics is transferred, its also transferred together with a unique id that is unique to the car/driver (or the TV or the any other gadget). Such unique id together with the statistical data is used to build a profile of that specific car/driver - which then leads to targeted business need, such as affixing insurance cost (when such data is bought by insurance companies, together with the unique ID), or targeted advertising when such data is bought by advertisers from your TV-watching habits. Even if such individualized aggregate is anonymized, they can be easily de-anonymized by, say, the insurance company - for example by noting that one often/daily parks at a specific address, which the insurance company of course also has as an individual's home address declared by the user themselves. Hence the aggregated statistics is specific to each user, either implicitly or explicitly - as the whole point is to build a data-driven profile. If the business practice is not scrupulous then leakage of identifiable information can also happen directly by the business (as noted in my shared article - which showed evidence based legal prosecution), not needing any statistical inference process at all.

If one is signing up for a cheaper rate by selling one's data - that is of course fine, since its happening by both parties' consent. However, the OP asked clearly about unknown/unwanted use of profiling data.

The forum indeed becomes "too pedestrian" when members pontificate and lecture, without even understanding the points being made.
Originally Posted by Droid13
This doesn't seem to indicate that Lexus offers an insurance product, but if you "opt-in" and such provisions have been made with your own insurance co, only then will the data be shared. This is mainly written by lawyers as a just in case provision I think. This is from the US privacy policy concerning Lexus connected services. Here in Canada the Lexus Connected Services privacy policy specifically states that no data is shared with insurance companies whatsoever. The important thing to remember is that privacy policies are written in such a way that describes what they might allow themselves to do, not what they are necessarily actually doing. If the manufacturer says one thing in their privacy policy, but exceeds that in practice, they open themselves to significant legal action. I'm not sure what the privacy legislation looks like in the US, but I know its very strong in Europe and we also have similar (but probably not quite as robust) as those in Europe.

We also have insurance tracking for discounts here as well, I have one. Just an app on my phone so if I feel like doing some quarter mile tests on city streets or plan to help myself to bottles at the liquor store (since they are all closed around here now due to strike), I just leave my phone at home, LOL.
@wrinkle and @Droid13 good discussion and I respect each of your opinions. However IMOHO I do not think Lexus collects data on individual vehicles and stores/process it even in an aggregate form. It would still be a massive amount of data to collect. store and process and there implied legal implications. Again , iIrespect your opinions and discussion.

Second, as @Droid13 stated if the discount and data gathering is only on a phone app, then you just leave you phone at home id you want to break the safe driving limits. Insurance companies know this and are well aware you could just leave your phone at home. Most insurance companies require an additional component be installed in the vehicle as long as your discount "Safe Driving" part of your insurance policy is in effect. to close this potential loophole.

Again, very good discussion, but again my opinion is slightly different. Take care

YMMV,
MidCow3
Old 07-07-24, 04:43 PM
sightdev
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I think starting from 2025 14 inch is the standard? personally would not go any smaller than 14 inch screen in today's market where 12 inches are now standard on most vehicles. built-in navi works really good and quick POI search works really good. also for accuracy, nothing beats built-in navi as they work in conjunction with vehicle computers for location/speed/etc. this is a must if one lives/drives in NE of U.S with so many splits/tunnels/bridges/tall buildings/etc. it's what you see what you get verses Google map on the phone will sometimes change/delay/lose course/etc. Planning to use the built-in navi until the three year free service expire. and about data collection, everything we do on any tech level are collecting some form of data and it's all around us.
Old 07-07-24, 05:04 PM
midcow3
Racer

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by sightdev
I think starting from 2025 14 inch is the standard? personally would not go any smaller than 14 inch screen in today's market where 12 inches are now standard on most vehicles. built-in navi works really good and quick POI search works really good. also for accuracy, nothing beats built-in navi as they work in conjunction with vehicle computers for location/speed/etc. this is a must if one lives/drives in NE of U.S with so many splits/tunnels/bridges/tall buildings/etc. it's what you see what you get verses Google map on the phone will sometimes change/delay/lose course/etc. Planning to use the built-in navi until the three year free service expire. and about data collection, everything we do on any tech level are collecting some form of data and it's all around us.
standard is 24.892 cm.
Old 07-07-24, 06:43 PM
websurfer
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by sightdev
The standard on base is 9.8 inch one I believe.

Last edited by websurfer; 07-07-24 at 06:49 PM.
Old 07-07-24, 07:32 PM
midcow3
Racer

Talking 24.892 cm = 9.8 inches is the standard Lexus NX screen size

standard is 24.892 cm.
Originally Posted by websurfer
The standard on base is 9.8 inch one I believe.
Yes , 24.892 cm = 9/8 inches standard size on Lexus NX
Old 07-07-24, 07:44 PM
CaliGuy82
9th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like how the Lexus navigation app shows up on the HeadsUp display while driving…. Curious if any knows whether the Lexus Navigation auto-updates itself with the most current roads, daily/hourly traffic, accidents, etc. when it gives it a time estimate to destination? Is it a UI with internals from TomTom or Garmin or another system? If it’s organic & live (always on-line with the latest) that’s great, if not it only does updates a few times a year together with the whole system’s over the air firmware updates then I guess I’ll be going back to using Waze/GoogleMap on CarPlay instead.
Old 07-07-24, 08:10 PM
midcow3
Racer

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by CaliGuy82
I like how the Lexus navigation app shows up on the HeadsUp display while driving…. Curious if any knows whether the Lexus Navigation auto-updates itself with the most current roads, daily/hourly traffic, accidents, etc. when it gives it a time estimate to destination? Is it a UI with internals from TomTom or Garmin or another system? If it’s organic & live (always on-line with the latest) that’s great, if not it only does updates a few times a year together with the whole system’s over the air firmware updates then I guess I’ll be going back to using Waze/GoogleMap on CarPlay instead.
I am not sure about updating the most current roads, but it does renavigate around traffic problems such as closed roads and it also detects congested areas and will suggest an alternate faster route and allow you to continue on original route or reroute to the faster route. One time recently the entire interstate was shutdown for a major wreck, all lanes were closed. Drive Connect rerouted me through a local neighborhood and saved me an hour or so of delay time if I had stayed on the original route. I think it does a great job of rerouting. Sometime I have both Waze and Drive Connect both active. At least one case recently, Waze went bonkers and lost Internet and Lexus Drive Connect still worked.

YMMV,
MidCow3
The following users liked this post:
CaliGuy82 (07-07-24)

Quick Reply: Is Lexus Interface worth it?