Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The bigger screen should be the default on the 2025 models
Old 07-08-24, 09:19 AM
Droid13
Racer

Received 606 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by CaliGuy82
I like how the Lexus navigation app shows up on the HeadsUp display while driving…. Curious if any knows whether the Lexus Navigation auto-updates itself with the most current roads, daily/hourly traffic, accidents, etc. when it gives it a time estimate to destination? Is it a UI with internals from TomTom or Garmin or another system? If it’s organic & live (always on-line with the latest) that’s great, if not it only does updates a few times a year together with the whole system’s over the air firmware updates then I guess I’ll be going back to using Waze/GoogleMap on CarPlay instead.
It is a cloud based nav system which typically means only the nearby detailed mapping data is downloaded, just like Google Maps, Waze, and such. I'm sure mapping data is cached locally within the memory of the system (again, same as Google et al) and hopefully gets refreshed whenever the cloud DB is updated with new info, so you can expect to (more or less, depending on how vigilant Lexus is) always have up to date maps. If going on a cross country drive its likely that maps for new areas will be loaded and old maps deleted if necessary as you go, keeping only the current area stored in local cache. Real time traffic info and rerouting as MidCow points out is also a thing and in that case, it must also be fetched in real time. As well, it makes sense to me that the actual route computations may be done in the cloud, not by the vehicle. I'm not certain of this, but it would be far more efficient to provide current location and selected destination to the host system for it to compute the best route, based on the current traffic, road conditions, along with what maps your car will need to follow the route, and then provide that to your car all that it needs for the route. Lexus claims to use Google POI data and some assume that means they also use Google Mapping as well, but that is unproven. POI data is simply going to be their database of destinations (restaurants, parks, parking, hotels, hospitals, etc.) not the actual algorithms they use to generate a route or the maps themselves. I'm pretty sure they licensed their system from another company, but unclear from which.
The following users liked this post:
CaliGuy82 (07-08-24)
Old 07-08-24, 11:21 AM
websurfer
Racer

Received 340 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by gallico916
The bigger screen should be the default on the 2025 models
IMO, it's best as is. People that want it pays more for it. People that doesn't need it can save some $$$. Choice is good.

Keeps the price reasonable for those that want a NX without breaking the bank.
Old 07-08-24, 11:30 AM
CaliGuy82
9th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Droid13
It is a cloud based nav system which typically means only the nearby detailed mapping data is downloaded, just like Google Maps, Waze, and such. I'm sure mapping data is cached locally within the memory of the system (again, same as Google et al) and hopefully gets refreshed whenever the cloud DB is updated with new info, so you can expect to (more or less, depending on how vigilant Lexus is) always have up to date maps. If going on a cross country drive it’S likely that maps for new areas will be loaded and old maps deleted if necessary as you go, keeping only the current area stored in local cache. Real time traffic info and rerouting as MidCow points out is also a thing and in that case, it must also be fetched in real time. As well, it makes sense to me that the actual route computations may be done in the cloud, not by the vehicle. I'm not certain of this, but it would be far more efficient to provide current location and selected destination to the host system for it to compute the best route, based on the current traffic, road conditions, along with what maps your car will need to follow the route, and then provide that to your car all that it needs for the route. Lexus claims to use Google POI data and some assume that means they also use Google Mapping as well, but that is unproven. POI data is simply going to be their database of destinations (restaurants, parks, parking, hotels, hospitals, etc.) not the actual algorithms they use to generate a route or the maps themselves. I'm pretty sure they licensed their system from another company, but unclear from which.
Thanks! This is very good info.
does it update through its 4G network embedded in the car or only when I connect the car to a WiFi network (the car can’t seem to see or connect to WiFi when I turn on hotspot from my phone to share connection with it)
Old 07-08-24, 11:53 AM
Droid13
Racer

Received 606 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by CaliGuy82
Thanks! This is very good info.
does it update through its 4G network embedded in the car or only when I connect the car to a WiFi network (the car can’t seem to see or connect to WiFi when I turn on hotspot from my phone to share connection with it)
Mostly it will depend on 4G cellular, as the connected services are designed to be used while out and about.
Old 07-12-24, 11:18 AM
Skedadle
Rookie

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Default You will probably be using android auto or carplay anyway

Lexus Nav was interesting because we use Google or Apple Maps on the HUD. Now it is just nagware :-(

The digital mirror and HUD are gotta-haves, for us. The big display was a reach too far.
Old 08-05-24, 04:17 PM
rch
Rookie

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

I think all or almost all 2025 Premium ones come with 14-in display and HUD as extra installed options. It isn't much choice unless you are trying to do custom build which is not common in the US. Premium
14-in may be optional. But just sit in the car and compare. Maybe you will get attracted by the big shiny object and decide you must have it.
On Lexus maps:
+ They have some "powered by Google" branding and traffic info. Chosen routes are not exactly the same as on Google Maps though.
- They lack sat view if you want it.
- You can send route from Lexus app to the car but these are still separate devices
++ Lexus maps direction arrows and step-by-step directions show on the HUD. It's major advantage, you don't need to change eye focus and drive blind focusing down at close distance at screen. Apple Maps through CarPay may show arrows, but not Android Auto. It's even documented in Multimedia Manual.
Old 08-05-24, 04:37 PM
rch
Rookie

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by RichHybrid
Also, is any travel/driving data captured by Toyota and resold to insurance companies? Are you able to opt-out of the data sharing?
Not I don't think Toyota ever resold data to LexisNexis or Verisk. It was GM's OnStar Smart Driver thing. They ended this program and are in litigation now. Other automakers also had something similar sharing data.
Toyota has similar Drive Pulse program but it doesn't share info. There is also different opt-in program for sharing data with Toyota insurance specifically. But it's California thing AFAIK and doesn't apply unless you opt-in with their insurance.
You can open Lexus app, click top right icon to get to Account settings, then DATA PRIVACY, and opt in or out of these programs.

In addition, you can and probably should open Lexus app, click top right icon to get to Account settings, then Security Settings, Your Personal Information, and then you can opt-out of any other data sharing with third parties on their website. Which is somewhat convoluted but doable process.
The following users liked this post:
websurfer (08-05-24)