NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

Is Lexus Interface worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-24, 06:38 AM
RichHybrid
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is Lexus Interface worth it?

LEXUS INTERFACE* WITH 14-IN TOUCHSCREEN DISPLAY AND THEMATIC AMBIENT ILLUMINATION. INCLUDES 3-YEAR TRIAL OF DRIVE CONNECT* WITH CLOUD NAVIGATION, INTELLIGENT ASSISTANT, AND DESTINATION ASSIST. SUBSCRIPTION REQUIRED AFTER TRIAL. 4G NETWORK DEPENDENT.

Looking to buy Lexus NX 350h within 6 months. Does anyone have an opinion on this $1205 package? Is it better than Google Map on CarPlay? And the subscription cost after 3-year trial? I tend to keep my cars for at least seven years, so I am concerned about 4G availability down the road (this is real, as I had to replace the wi-fi hardware on my Generac when 3G was discontinued).

Old 07-04-24, 06:51 AM
Randyp1234
Advanced

Received 228 Likes on 166 Posts

We bought the smaller screen version and it doesn't include the Nav subscription. But the general opinion of this board and a couple Facebook groups seems to be that Google Maps or Waze via Android Auto or Apple Car Play (when it works) is superior to the built-in navigation.
The following users liked this post:
RichHybrid (07-04-24)
Old 07-04-24, 08:59 AM
Droid13
Racer

Received 538 Likes on 376 Posts

4G should be around at least to the end of the decade perhaps a tad longer so you might see a full seven years of service. I suppose the real question is whether you think you'll want to use the subscription services beyond the trial. For basic navigation, you'll get better results using Car Play or Android Auto. The Lexus service does have the bonus option of "Destination Assist" over using something like Google Maps. I've never used it myself, but in theory you're able to press a button and talk to a person about figuring out a destination and have them feed the destination directly to your car. Great I suppose if you often don't have an exact address that you can just type in or use the voice recognition,such as help finding a store or restaurant. The intelligent assistant is just a simplified Alexa or Siri. "Hey Lexus, what's 23x34.4?". Various questions can be answered but its not as good as Apple, Google, or Amazon assistants (so far). What else do you get with this package? Well of course, the big screen. It certainly is pretty and makes for an excellent experience with CarPlay or AndroidAuto, however the native interface seems designed for the smaller screen as on the 14" it feels like Lexus wasted some opportunity to really make good use of the big screen (other than maybe their own navigation).
RichHybrid (07-04-24)
Old 07-04-24, 11:30 AM
Dkaplan
Intermediate

Received 122 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by RichHybrid

LEXUS INTERFACE* WITH 14-IN TOUCHSCREEN DISPLAY AND THEMATIC AMBIENT ILLUMINATION. INCLUDES 3-YEAR TRIAL OF DRIVE CONNECT* WITH CLOUD NAVIGATION, INTELLIGENT ASSISTANT, AND DESTINATION ASSIST. SUBSCRIPTION REQUIRED AFTER TRIAL. 4G NETWORK DEPENDENT.

Looking to buy Lexus NX 350h within 6 months. Does anyone have an opinion on this $1205 package? Is it better than Google Map on CarPlay? And the subscription cost after 3-year trial? I tend to keep my cars for at least seven years, so I am concerned about 4G availability down the road (this is real, as I had to replace the wi-fi hardware on my Generac when 3G was discontinued).
I think the larger screen is worth it!
The following 2 users liked this post by Dkaplan:
RichHybrid (07-04-24), Sounds (07-06-24)
Old 07-04-24, 11:46 AM
gamma742
Intermediate

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

I like the large screen. I didn't have a choice, it was came with my purchase. I'm glad I have it as it looks great and when I took my car in for the 5K service, I got an NX350h loaner with the small screen and I felt like I was in a Toyota, a nice one but a Toyota nonetheless.
RichHybrid (07-04-24)
Old 07-04-24, 03:16 PM
websurfer
Racer

Received 306 Likes on 239 Posts

IMO, I feel the 14" is worth it if you plan to keep the vehicle for a longer period of time and drive more than 30 minutes once a while to justify the cost. It's easier to see the maps and menu with the bigger screen when the vehicle is in motion.

Mobile 6G is expected in 2030 so that's pretty far out. Probably after then so many years before 4G goes away.
RichHybrid (07-05-24)
Old 07-04-24, 05:32 PM
jatwell
Pit Crew

Received 62 Likes on 45 Posts

I like it. Easy to see and responsive to touch. Lexus nav, music, and phone are fine, but as others have mentioned Android, Apple, etc. work great as well if you prefer.
RichHybrid (07-05-24)
Old 07-04-24, 07:20 PM
Sounds
Advanced

Received 165 Likes on 141 Posts

I like the 14”. I think the Nav works well. I enjoy the Voice command feature. I favor CarPlay but nothing wrong with the onboard Nav.
The following 2 users liked this post by Sounds:
ChiFSporty (Yesterday), RichHybrid (07-05-24)
Old 07-05-24, 01:38 AM
spbonzo
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I considered the larger screen option but decided that the smaller screen was more than adequate. So far I've been pretty impressed with the Lexus satnav and have had no reason to use Google\Waze etc.
The following 2 users liked this post by spbonzo:
RichHybrid (07-05-24), Sounds (07-05-24)
Old 07-06-24, 07:29 AM
ChiFSporty
10th Gear

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

The bigger screen alone is worth it, IMO. Its big and beautiful...you won't regret it. As for the navigation, I second everyone else saying android auto\car play is better. Every once and a while I'll try using the Lexus navigation again, and its just not quite as good as Google maps. The voice is a bit more robotic sounding at times on the Lexus nav. Not to mention, Android Auto and Apple Car play support a split screen option, while the Lexus UI does not.
Old 07-06-24, 11:39 AM
midcow3
Racer

Received 527 Likes on 345 Posts
Lightbulb Small Screen will work just fine and dandt

I like Drive Connect. I like to be able to use voice commands to either Lexus/Toyota and I go a lot of new places and need a GPS. I also like to search and find locations on my phone app and download them to the car with the specific name of the destination. I have the 14 inch screen in the Lexus; It is very big and since with no home screen, the 14 inch screen has lots of basically wasted real estate. I have a 2023 Prius LE and added Drive Connect. the Prius only has a 8 inch screen and it is plenty big enough for clear and accurate GPS

I would not get the 14 inch screen just for GPS, the 9.8 inch screen would be more than sufficient. Bit remember with the 14 inch screen you get 3 years of drive connect. with the 9.8 inch screen you have to buy Drive Connect at $15 a month for a total 3 year cost of $540 plus tax at 8.25% that is a total 3year cost of $584.55

YMMV,
MidCow3
Old 07-06-24, 12:20 PM
RichHybrid
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for this detailed information. Can you confirm that we are able to purchase the Drive Connect GPS on the base 9.8 inch screen? And that monthly cost is also $15 for the Lexus Interface when the 3-year period expires?

Also, is any travel/driving data captured by Toyota and resold to insurance companies? Are you able to opt-out of the data sharing?
Old 07-06-24, 01:07 PM
midcow3
Racer

Received 527 Likes on 345 Posts
Lightbulb

Thank you for this detailed information. Can you confirm that we are able to purchase the Drive Connect GPS on the base 9.8 inch screen? And that monthly cost is also $15 for the Lexus Interface when the 3-year period expires?

Also, is any travel/driving data captured by Toyota and resold to insurance companies? Are you able to opt-out of the data sharing?
Yes, you can purchase Drive Connect on smaller screen. It is an automatic credit card deduction every month. Again, I purchased and have it on a 2023 Prius LE.

Unless Lexus has a price increase in 3years, it will be $15 per month at the end of your 3 year trial if you choose to continue with the service.

YMMV,
MidCow3

Last edited by midcow3; 07-06-24 at 01:24 PM.
RichHybrid (07-06-24)
Old 07-06-24, 01:39 PM
wrinkle
Intermediate

Received 123 Likes on 90 Posts

Its next to impossible to get an absolutely trustworthy answer from any maker in this day and age. So I assume the answer is yes - they will sell data to Lexis-Nexis or similar data-brokers at the least, if not to insurance companies - GM and others were recently caught doing that and sued, despite having told their car buyers that they won't sell data.

So I have opted out from "Clean Assist" and "Drive Pulse" features from within the app - because I use neither, and wouldn't want my data to be sold. There are other features that I think are of value (such as "External Vehicle Video Capture" that helps improve the ADAS) and I kept them on. But its possible to turn data sharing consent completely too, which loses the ability to use some car/app features. I suspect Toyota may be slightly better than the rest of the herd in terms of protective privacy, but as I said, its hard to be sure.
RichHybrid (07-06-24)
Old 07-06-24, 06:37 PM
Droid13
Racer

Received 538 Likes on 376 Posts

Here's an excerpt from Lexus Policy:
  • Usage-Based Auto Insurance. You may choose to opt-in for usage-based insurance products and services. If you opt-in, your Driving Data (such as your vehicle's acceleration, speed, braking and steering) and Location Data will be used to deliver usage-based insurance services to you, and for quality assurance, analysis, research, and product development.

The full policy can be found here: https://www.lexus.com/privacyvts

Quick Reply: Is Lexus Interface worth it?