NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

Advice on possible Buy-Back of 350h

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-24, 08:21 AM
midcow3
Racer

Received 542 Likes on 356 Posts
Question water is there

The horse was thirsty. I led the horse to water but he wouldn't drink. His friends said "where is the water ?"

Peace and goodwill

YMMV,
MidCow3
The following users liked this post:
RX350ok (07-07-24)
Old 07-07-24, 10:37 AM
jsmith
Pit Crew

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

The problem with this reasoning that it's "not repeatable" is that it's all from the dealership's point of view. If the OP thinks it's an ongoing problem at a specific speed then it's repeatable from his point of view. The only way to have a consistent diagnosis is to have the OP in the car with the tech to demonstrate the problem as @MidCow suggests. Of course the Tech could still just say "I don't feel anything"...

Last edited by jsmith; 07-07-24 at 10:41 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by jsmith:
romer (07-07-24), RX350ok (07-07-24)
Old 07-07-24, 12:16 PM
websurfer
Racer

Received 314 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by jsmith
The problem with this reasoning that it's "not repeatable" is that it's all from the dealership's point of view. If the OP thinks it's an ongoing problem at a specific speed then it's repeatable from his point of view. The only way to have a consistent diagnosis is to have the OP in the car with the tech to demonstrate the problem as @MidCow suggests. Of course the Tech could still just say "I don't feel anything"...
Exactly the point. Example, I had to be in the vehicle at the 2nd time to show that the wheel alignment was off still after re-alignment to 2 people before they believed me. Also, have someone record it to prove also. I has to be repeatable to prove.
The following 2 users liked this post by websurfer:
romer (07-07-24), RX350ok (07-07-24)
Old 07-07-24, 01:38 PM
midcow3
Racer

Received 542 Likes on 356 Posts
Exclamation How do you fix a problem ?

1. A Lexus Owner experiences a problem.
2. Something is causing the problem.
3. If you eliminate or correct or fix what is causing the problem, the problem goes away.
4. How do you determine what is causing the problem ?
4a. If you can repeat the problem, you can fairly easily identify the cause
4b. If you cannot consistently repeat the problem, it is much harder to identify the cause to correct.
4b (1) - you identify the general symptoms of the problem and start correcting the most likely possible causes:
4b (1) i wheel balancing
4b (1) ii wheel alignment
4b (1) iii wheel bearings
4b (1) iv bad tires
4b (1) v different tire air pressures

4b (2) - you start trying other possible causes
4b (2} i ECVT hybrid system
4b (2) ii other items in the drive train system

If nothing works that is straight forward you begin test every system and determine if the systems passes unit testing. If not you replace the system. Very expensive and very time consuming. As a precursor to this you begin listing everything that surrounds the problem situation. The owner knows it reoccurs but cannot repeat it on demand. When the problem does occur document and not everything and I mean EVERYTHING that is coincidental and is going on when the problem occurs and when it starts and when it goes away and any changes that immediately preceded the reoccurrence and any changes that happen right before the problem quits. Yes , sometimes repeatability is very hard to determine but trying to identify the change is imperative typically to finding the causes. Once the cause is found it can be corrected.

Peace and Good luck in fixing the Problem, However, I get the impression OP is fed up with Lexus and does not want to spend his money for balancing/alignment to fix potential Lexus problem, which is understandable. Lexus should reimburse OP, if OP spends money to resolve a Lexus problem.

YMMV,
MidCow3

Old 07-07-24, 05:20 PM
RX350ok
Driver

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by websurfer
I don't think they buy back on vibration but on mechanical issues after so many attempts to fix it. Sadly, test drives during purchase is the time to find out some issues.

Did they try to rotate the tires around or rebalance the tires?
Yes.
^^^^^^^^^^
Old 07-07-24, 05:22 PM
RX350ok
Driver

Originally Posted by RX350ok
This might be the only thing I haven't tried. I usually keep it in Eco. I'll try "Sport" and report back...
I experienced the same vibration in "sport" mode.
Old 07-07-24, 05:24 PM
RX350ok
Driver

Originally Posted by Thuwaragan
Not sure on the NX350H (I have the 450h), but in my Prius, ~43MPH is when the car switches out of EV mode to turn on the gas engine. Are you sure what you're feeling isn't the engine turning on/off around that speed? Again, I'm not sure what speed it kicks on the engine but maybe someone else with a 350H can comment on that. PS. I'm not talking about the speed when you manually force it into EV mode - Lexus/Toyota is conservative on that and it kicks you out even earlier (~20 is my guess).
I've determined that the transmission to/from ICE to electric is NOT what I'm experiencing.
Old 07-07-24, 05:34 PM
RX350ok
Driver

Originally Posted by midcow3
Personally, I don't think the buyback will work for you. however, there was on guy on this forum with a 2022 450h+ that successfully got a buyback @Peterun .

I don't think changing driving modes will do any good.
No, it didn't.
Here is what I would do in your case:

(1) do everything you can to get your tires as good as they can be to perfect
(1a) As @jsmith road get your tires balanced at a specialized tire place. I am not familiar with Hunter Road Force Wheel Balancer., but use it or an equivalent
good one.
This vehice is new / under warranty and I'm not spending any money, anwhere. At least, not yet.
(1b) Get a 4 wheel alignment
Lexus supposedly did this.
(1c) make sure your tire pressure is correct ( 1a or 1 b) should do this, But I would get a good tire gauge and check yourself.
Everything seems good.

(2) If you have another Lexus dealer, go there and tell them you are having problems. I wouldn't lie, but I wouldn't voluntarily tell them another Lexus, See if they can find the problem.
There's another dealer 90 miles from me. It would be very inconvenient..I'm not that desperate yet.

(3) if you have another Lexus dealer , go and test drive the same exact model you have and see if it feels different. Sometimes as others have mentioned there is a transition between EV and ICE that can be felt. In some cars it may possibly be more prominent than others. Also, if you have never extensively driven a hybrid you may not be used to the switching between EV- ICE and both EV/ICE. What you are feeling , could be normal but in your case it doesn't sound normal, SORRY.
I've already driven another 350h with same equipment in last couple of weeks. It didn't exhibit any of the vibration I'm describing.

The test drive needs to be for a couple of days. If you find the test car does not have the same problem you are experiencing with your car and if you still have problems with you car, I would keep going back to your original Lexus dealer. Remember there are a few other alternatives to get some action DealerRater and BBB are two. Alos, if you can repeat the problem with a Lexus Technician on the drive then it is much more likely to get fixed.
I'll definitely report back after the next technician drives it.

Best of luck on solving your problem.

YMMV,
MidCow3

Answers in bold^
Old 07-07-24, 05:38 PM
RX350ok
Driver

Originally Posted by bigrin
Had same problem. It was the tires. Re-balance and allignment didn't do anything. Problem was one of the tires (which was new) was a badly manufactured tire. A brand new tire fixed the problem. Good luck.
An interesting observation.. when the Lexus headquarters representative called me, the first thing she said was "I understand you're having an issue with your tires or something"
I was really confused because no one had said that they thought it might be a tire.
Old 07-07-24, 05:41 PM
RX350ok
Driver

Originally Posted by midcow3
If it is a bad tire, then the problem should be repeatable. The OP said the problem is not repeatable, so likely it is not a bad tire.

YMMV,
MidCow3
As far as repeatability goes.. I think it has to do with how smooth the driving surface is to really feel it happen. A rough road will disguise it. Sorry about the confusion.
Old 07-07-24, 05:44 PM
RX350ok
Driver

Originally Posted by bigrin
Had same problem. It was the tires. Re-balance and allignment didn't do anything. Problem was one of the tires (which was new) was a badly manufactured tire. A brand new tire fixed the problem. Good luck.
Please, please tell me at what speed(s) you were experiencing this vibration? Than you!
Old 07-08-24, 09:14 AM
jsmith
Pit Crew

For what it's worth, not all Lexus dealerships are equal. My last dealership out east was a big luxury car conglomerate. Top notch service. They used to pick up my car at home for service and left me a loaner. They then returned my car after the service, again to my home, picking up the loaner. This was a FREE service! My current dealership in California is more like Toyota but with fancy furnishings. Service was shocked when I told them what I was used to getting. The NJ dealership had all the Hunter equipment, balancers and alignment. I never had to go anywhere else.

My point about the Hunter Road Force balancer is that it will quickly isolate the source of the vibration. First suspect would be the tire(s). There is an outside chance that it could be a bad wheel(s). If the dealership doesn't have the equipment, it would be more difficult to pinpoint the problem. I just had a local place do a rotate and front tire balance with the Hunter balancer. I believe the vehicle drives a little better subjectively, although I didn't have any complaints aside from noise beforehand. Hunter Road Force Balancing is discussed all over Clublexus forums. It's not anything new...
The following users liked this post:
RX350ok (07-08-24)
Old 07-19-24, 06:43 AM
RX350ok
Driver

Default The saga continues....

Lexus Customer Service wants me to wait another month for their traveling technician to look at my NX. I'm extremely disappointed in Lexus with this issue. I drive this car and experience this vibration daily. This morning I had my windshield sun shield rolled up on the back seat, I could hear it hitting the door as I felt the vibration. And yet, my dealership technicians can't seem to replicate this problem.
Old 07-21-24, 03:10 PM
jsmith
Pit Crew

I would have spent 50 bucks to get at least the fronts "Force Balanced" at a Hunter shop, knowing what I know about dealership service attitudes. Even then, if the problem does not go away, that eliminates one possible cause and brings you a step closer to a solution. It is just not worth the aggravation...